Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX201 with bluetooth headset: speaker but no microphone

mutschml
Beginner

Hi,

I have a brand new Schenker CORE 14 Laptop with a built in AX201 card. I want to pair a Jabra Talk 55 Headset with speaker and microphone, but only the speakers are connected (it only says "Musik verbunden" on my german windows).

The headset works fine on my old PC (bluetooth 4) where both, the speaker and microphone were recognized. So I doubt it is a problem with the headset.

I have Windows 10 20H2 running, with the latest Intel drivers 22.20.0.3. 

I am a bit clueless why the microphone isn't recognized. I hope someone here can help me.

I did another test with a ASUS BT500 USB-Bluetooth stick, and when I connect there, the Speaker and the microphone are recognized correctly. So I think it must be something with the Intel AX201 drivers.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Mutschml,

After you pair and connect the headset, please open Settings and enter sound in the Find a setting box. Select the "Choose your sound input device". There should be an Input area that lists input devices. Are you able to select the headset from this list?

If you still do not see the headset as an input device, try using the Windows Bluetooth & other devices area in Settings to remove the headset, and then retry pairing the device, and repeat the above.

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

I did try to disconnect and re-pair the headset, without any success.

After a lot of googling I figured out the following: There are two different profiles, how the headset can operate,.A2DP (Stereo only) and H2s (Handsfree, Mono + Mic). After connecting, there should be 2 speakers in Windows, one for A2DP and one for H2S, and a Microphone for H2S.

Unfortunately I only have the speakers for A2DP. But I do want the H2S, for both. When I connect to my old PC, I see all 3 devices. The old PC has a Intel AC8260 Adapter and still Windows 10/2004, while the new one has a AX201 and Windows 10/20H2. The Intel driver is the same on both machines (22.20.0.3).

A good description on how it should be, can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/fqf71z/wh1000xm3_can_only_use_stereo_or_handsfree_but/

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I have two Bluetooth audio devices, and multiple Bluetooth pairing capable devices. I have a JBL soundbar and Bose QC35II headset. Both my Windows PCs have 20H2 and the latest cumulative update, so they are essentially running the same build. But they have different network adapters. I connected the Bose QC35II to a desktop that has the AX200 adapter with the latest Intel drivers. I get two devices listed in both the Bluetooth section, and the Sound, video and game controllers section. One is for Stereo, and the other is Hands-Free AG Audio. The JBL soundbar only lists Stereo in the Sound, video and game controllers section. In the Bluetooth section there is a Bose QC35II and Bose QC35II Avrcp Transport. The JBL has the same two in the Bluetooth section. I can say the sound quality on the Bose is close to what you would expect for a Bluetooth stereo headset. Definitely not a low level / low quality sound. On the laptop I see the same devices and the sound plays the same.

Have you checked the manufacturer's website to see if there is a firmware update for your Bluetooth device? I know the Bose could pair with an Android phone but could not pair with Windows until I applied a firmware update from Bose. It is possible your headset needs a firmware update to resolve this issue.

One last thing that might be work, but do this at your own risk. If nothing else seems to resolve the issue, I would disconnect the device using Settings / Devices. I would then use Device Manager and remove the device from the Bluetooth and Sound, video and game controllers. Then you can try pairing and see if this is resolved.

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

Thanks for the infos, Khun_Dough. You describe, what I expect to see as well.  But unfortunately it is still not working right. I did learn a lot about bluetooth so far though

Here are my next Tests:

1. try another Headset that worked on another PC. Same problem. no Handsfree mode. Therefore I assume it is not a problem with the Headset itself. It worked on another PC anyway,

2. This is a much more interesting one: I disabled the internal AX201 Bluetooth adapter and plugged in a ASUS BT500 (it has realtek chip). After a reboot I paired the Jabra55 Headset. And there everything worked as expected. I have two sound-devices and one microphone. So the only difference is now the bluetooth adapter and there the intel AX201 isn't working correct.

I did find another place for more information about the device. The new Windows-settings/devices just show limited infos; but if you follow the link to the old ControlPanel/Hardware&Sound/Devices&Printers you can right-click on the Jabra55 and see more properties. The Services-tab seems to show the profiles; although I do not understand the translations. But it is the same for BT500 and AX201. If you look at the hardware-Tab then things are different. See the attached screenshots. When paring with the BT500, you can see two additional "Hands-Free AG Audio Device" one with a loudspeaker icon, and one with a headset icon. But you see the "Hands-Free AG"-Systemdevice on both. So somehow the Handsfree-Profile was detected with the AX201, but the configuration in Windows is incorrect.

A normal reinstallation of the Intel-driver didn't help. It seems there is something not working at a very low level. I hope someone has an idea of what can be done to fix this problem.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

My experience reflects what you experience regarding access to hardware from the Settings / Devices versus using the older interfaces from Control Panel. I hope Microsoft doesn't remove that because there are times when low level information really is needed.

I'm going to defer this to the good people from Intel. You and I have done all the things that seem to be logical steps. It may well be that something needs some tweaking with the AX201 Bluetooth driver, but they would be the ones to ferret this further. My guess is we are both going to learn something new.

mutschml
Beginner

From a customer view, my only solution is, to replace the AX201 with another bluetooth card. Schenker has another option for the Card with a "Rivet Networks Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i". Even though the reviews usually say that the Intel is more stable (and that is why I chose the AX201), for me it seems the only option.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello mutschml,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following report and information to continue with your support request.

-Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

•          Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information

•          By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

•          Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

•          To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

* Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

-Could you please share with us what was the second headset that you tested with this AX201 adapter?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

Hi Victor,

I attached the current output of the SSU-program. I made one at the beginning as well (attached in the first post), so you can compare it if I broke some things during my tests.

The other headset I tested was a Jabra65 (mono, not in ear), and another one from a different manufacturer (stereo headset), which a colleague gave me for testing. I can get the specific type tomorrow, if needed. 

Thank you for looking into my problem.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello mutschml,

We appreciate both reports, based on the issue that your headsets are presenting in regards to the connectivity with the AX201 adapter 5.1 Bluetooth and the troubleshooting that you have completed so far, our strongest recommendation will be to get in touch with Jabra support to let them know about the issues that you are currently having so they can maybe try to either provide assistance and the respective configuration for each headset or to replicate the issue on their end, also please make sure you check the compatibility of both headsets on their latest firmware with Bluetooth 5.1 with them.

Jabra support

https://www.jabra.com/support

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

I just connected a "Taotronics Soundliberty 92" Headset,  which was too registered with only the Stereo Profile, and not with the Handsfree Sound&Mic (a "TAOTRONICS SoundLiberty 92 Hands-Fee AG" is listed in the hardware-properties of the device).  The other one I connected was a headset from Google. So I really doubt that all those manufacturers made the same mistake.

There must be something with the Hardware or the driver or its configuration. Any help how to reset these and all the settings, so Windows can freshly register the bluetooth driver would be helpful. A whole new Windows Installation is something I don't really want to do. 

Another option is to replace the AX201 card. But at the moment I don't want to open the brand new Laptop.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I did some research on this, along the lines of how to remove Bluetooth pairings so the process can start over. I hit across a thread that discusses some Bluetooth tools. The link to the tool that was referenced is here: https://bluetoothinstaller.com/bluetooth-command-line-tools

Many used the btpair -u command. I hope with all the tools in that suite you may find the right combo to get your Bluetooth operational.

One thing I would recommend: Make sure there is only one Bluetooth adapter working. Disable or remove any older adapters.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello mutschml,

Upon looking more in-depth we can see on both reports that for some reason the adapter is not being recognized entirely and the driver version been used is unknown, which is weird because the report is meant to recognize it even if the driver version is an OEM(original equipment manufacturer) one.

Our only recommendation will be to try to reinstall the latest customized Bluetooth driver available for the adapter from the manufacturer’s support site and if that one doesn’t work you can try with ours and if the issue persists, you can contact the manufacturer of the laptop for further support or even warranty replacement or the manufacturer of the headsets you are having issues in regards to the Bluetooth connection.

Customized driver

https://www.xmg.gg/en/kontakt

Note: For any assistance getting the driver feel free to get in touch with the manufacturer's support.

Generic driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30121/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?v=t

Instructions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006742/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Note: Please proceed with a removal first to eliminate the previous driver and then complete the installation step with our current Bluetooth generic driver.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

Hi Victor,

I will see if I can find some more things in these Links.

I think with the unknown Version you mean these entries from the SSU?

- "Networking"
Intel ® Network Connections Install Options:"Not Available"
Intel ® Network Connections Version:"Not Available"
Intel ® PROSet/Wireless Software Version:"Not Available"

I checked my old PC (which is a XMP P506 from Schenker). There the Network Versions are also unavilable. But Intel ® PROSet/Wireless Software Version:"19.50.1.0". On that compute I see the installation in Apps&Feature of "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth" Version 22.20.0.3, *and* "Intel ProSet/Wireless Software" 19.50.1. The latter one is missing on my new PC; but in the Intel download-section only the new one (22.20.03) is available.

I did reinstall that driver about 10x. Even with explicit uninstall. I tried the 22.10 as well; no success.

btw. the SSU Tool I used is V2.5.0.15 from 13.09.2018 seems a bit old, but I cannot find a newer one. Is it possible that it cannot detect the new version of the Wifi driver?

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

I think I am coming to an end with this problem. I did open a ticket with the manufacturer, Schenker. The support is currently as clueless as I am. But with their permission, I replaced the AX201NGW Module with the one from the old Laptop, a AC8620NG. The headset is now working,

I don't have the newest WiFi features now; but I don't need them. The working headset is more important to me. It is a solution, but not very satisfying. I leave the rest now to Schenker (the manufacturer).

One thing, if any hardware guy ist reading this: I figured out, that the AX201 is using a CNVio-M.2 port/connector. This connection does some more things inside the CPU for the Bluetooth module. I do have a i7-1165G7 CPU.

0 Kudos
mutschml
Beginner

Quick update: The manufacturer can reproduce the problem in their labs, and the AX1650 has the same problems. Now I need to wait for an updated driver, or whatever their solution is.

0 Kudos
BruceLin
Beginner

Hi Victor,

I have the same issue with my Sony WH-1000XM4 and AirPods 2.

I totally agree with mutschml, it should be driver problem with AX201.

I also use AX201 too.

With 22.0.0.2 driver, there is WH-1000XM4 Hands-Free AG Audio device shown in Windows Device Manager.

With 22.30.0.4 driver, there is NO WH-1000XM4 Hands-Free AG Audio device shown in Windows Device Manager.

Same laptop, same WH-1000XM4, same Windows 10, the only difference is bluetooth driver.

Please refer to attached pictures.

0 Kudos