Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX210 5ghz Hotspot Issue

eight_track
Beginner

Recently upgraded my motherboard which has a intergrated AX210 wi-fi adapter.  I have been trying to create a 5ghz hotspot, but everytime I do I get the same message:

"The selected network band isn't available. Select a different band and try again"

I've seen this article online but I don't know if this is relavant as I have several other devices that can start a 5ghz hotspot (including a windows laptop with a AX201)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029083/wireless.html

I have checked my drivers, BIOS and firmware and they all seem up to date.  

I've also messed around with the network band settings on the edit page and the Wi-Fi adapter configuration settings with no luck.  

I've tested the issue on Windows 11 and 10 and the issue is the same on both OSs. 

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Details:

Motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F 

Purchased earlier this month, besides from the PSU/Hard Drives this is a new build I put together myself

Router: Virgin Hub 4

Although I have tried connecting from a hotspot on my phone and laptop

*I am able to create a 2.4 ghz hotspot

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+).

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Were you able to connect to the 5GHz before?

3. Are you using the antennas for the wireless adapter?

4. Have you checked this issue with Asus?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
eight_track
Beginner

Hi Deivid 

I have attached the log files to this message.  

To answer your question this computer has only just been built and has never been able to create a 5ghz hotspot (it can connect to a 5ghz wi-fi network though).  There is a antenna connected to the wi-fi ports.  I've logged a ticket with ASUS, they weren't very helpful.  They sent me the article and said the card was probably restricted and there was little that can be done.  

Regards

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

The instructions for a HotSpot can be a little confusing.  But first, you cannot use whatever network you are using to connect to the ISP from your computer.  For instance, if you are using Ethernet on the Down Stream side, you cannot select Ethernet in the HotSpot or you will get a network not available message.   You need to select Wi-Fi on both HotSpot options.

If you were using the 5 GHz to connect to your ISP, that network will not be available for the HotSpot, unless perhaps you have two Wi-Fi cards or one that uses multiple 5 GHz radios.

If I am misunderstanding the situation, hopefully someone will correct me.

0 Kudos
eight_track
Beginner

Sorry but what you're saying makes little sense.  

Since I'm able to connect to a 5ghz wi-fi connection on my laptop and then create a 5ghz mobile hotspot, surely I should be able to do the same on my computer.  

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

I am just trying to think through the process.  I can set my system up using the 5 GHz radio but my AX210 is talking to the router on the 6 GHz band.

If you check the "Edit Network Info" does it show which bands are available.  For instance, mine shows 5 and 2.4 available but I am not using either one.  The 6 GHz band does not show as available.  

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

I changed my system around and turned off the 6 GHz radio.  I am now connected as you are trying to be.  The one 5 GHz band is doing both Router and HotSpot communications.

So I was incorrect regarding you could not use it for both.  So I suppose we are back where we started..  I do not know why your 5 GHz network is not allowing you to set up the way you want.

I have a Z590 board in case it might make a difference from a Z690 board.  Perhaps something in the Processor or chipset is not allowing such a function.

0 Kudos
eight_track
Beginner

What Wi-Fi adapter have you got in your Z590 board?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

I also have the AX210 on the Z590.  On my Z490 board, I also checked it with an AX201 which worked normally.

Personally, I would not really suspect a Wi-Fi card, but always a possibility I suppose.

The AX210 has a PCIe interface and since the Z690 has PCIe 5, that could also be a possibility.  I am waiting on someone in another forum to see what board they have with their AX201.

0 Kudos
eight_track
Beginner

It's intergrated onto the board, so I would of thought it wouldn't use a PCIe interface.  

Started a post on the ASUSROG reddit to see if there is anyone with the same board who also can't start a 5ghz hotspot. No luck yet.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

Based on your issue, I would like you to try the following as a test:

1. Try with the Asus latest drivers:

2. Try with the latest Intel driver:

3. Try to get in contact directly with Asus (calling or chat) for further instructions.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
eight_track
Beginner

Hi Deivid

I have tried a clean install of both the drivers recommended by ASUS and intel.  

Neither have resolved the issue.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

Thanks for all the information provided. I will proceed to check this issue internally and I will inform you as soon as I have any updates for you.

Thanks for your comprehension.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

Based on the research, I would like you to try the "Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings" article"

Also, you may find further information in the following article:

Please let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
eight_track
Beginner

Hi Deivid 

I still require support with this issue.  Sorry I haven't replied in a while I've had other things to focus on.  

I checked the 2 articles you've sent, first one going through the Advanced settings of the Wireless adapter.  I've played around with these settings quite a bit over the past month and haven't been able to resolve the issue.  Is there a specific setting you wanted me to try?

The next article is about why hosted/ad hoc networks no longer work on Windows with certain devices, but it suggests using a mobile hotspot instead.  Since that's what I'm trying to do, I don't see why this is relevant.  

Regards

Nash

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

I do appreciate the information. I am sorry to know that the issue persists, I will continue with the investigation and as soon as I have any details I will let you know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello eight_track,  

In this case and based on the issue, I recommend you to check this issue with Microsoft since this seems to be related to the operating system and also try to confirm with Asus if there is a limitation or restriction with the wireless adapter.

For example this community from MS support (Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.)

"Windows 10 5Ghz Hotspot from 2018

• The reason why you're getting the "Current band is unavailable" error is due to your computer is not capable of creating a hotspot with a 5 GHz of WiFi frequency because of the hardware limitation. It would be best to contact your device manufacturer for them to be able to enable this kind of feature."

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos