Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX210 - 6 Ghz unavailable in Europe even after has been approved

beisser
Beginner
in july germany has approved the use of 6Ghz frequencies for WIFI 6E ( see https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/germany-becomes-first-country-in-europe-to-open-up-for-6-ghz-wi-fi/). now almost 4 months later the intel driver for the AX210 still doesnt seem to allow use of 6Ghz outside of the US. is there a reason for this? i am currently trying to evaluate WIFI 6E Hardware (Router) and cannot do so because the SSID doesnt show up on my Windows 11 System (November Update) on 22.80.1.1 driver due to Europe regulatory domain. Is there any estimated timeframe for a release of a 6Ghz enabled driver?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello beisser, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Has it ever worked?
  2. Is this the original wireless adapter of the system?
  3. Have you reported this issue to your system manufacturer?
  4. Model of the router you are using. 

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

hi josue,

1. it has never worked
2. this is a desktop pc, which didnt come with any wifi card. the AX210 is an PCIe addon card purchased off amazon recently.
3. unfortunately there is no system manufacturer. its a selfbuilt desktop.
4. the model of the router cannot be disclosed as it is an unreleased product which i am evaluating right now.

According to the Hardware-Manufacturer of the Router this is a known issue with AX210 cards because the driver disables 6Ghz capabilities on Windows if its not in the US.

i will today attempt the same under Linux and see if the issue is present there as well.

ssu-output has been attached.

regards,

alex

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

oh i need to clarify.

2.4ghz and 5 ghz work like a charm (thats what im using right now).

just the 6Ghz SSID is not shown at all.

so its not like the card is defective or anything.

regards,

alex

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

i tested it on ubuntu as well with the same result.

in that regard i found this post here on the community:

Solved: 6 GHz Wifi with AX210 and Ubuntu 20.04 - Intel Community

the answer given there is of course outdated.

there is no regulation preventing the use of 6ghz in europe anymore (as per june 2021).

the 5945 – 6425 MHz band has been approved for use in the EU and specifically in Germany.

but the card still seems to disable it because of the beacons it receives.

this needs to be fixed since it makes the ax210 worthless for testing/using anything 6ghz-related in germany or EU for that matter.

kind regards,

alex

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello beisser, 

Thank you for all the information provided, in this case, please make sure that your system is running the latest BIOS available. 

Also, share with me the following information:

1. Have you checked with your ISP if 6GHz is supported?
  2. Have you tried using another router to test the 6GHz band? If so, which is its model?

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

hi Josue,

My ISP has no Power over my WIFI, so asking them if 6Ghz is supported would yield no useful results

I only have this one particular 6 Ghz Router unfortunately.

But i do not understand this Question.

Why would another 6 Ghz Router make any difference, when the AX210 Card turns off 6 Ghz Capability once it receives a non-US Wifi-Beacon as discussed in other Threads?

If possible can you find out when the driver/firmware for the AX210 will support 6Ghz for non-US Beacons (in this case the regulatory Domain is Europe).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000059385/wireless/intel-wireless-products.html indicates that this is currently only supported in the US, which seems to be true.

i simply want to know when intel will support the other countries that approved the use of 6ghz channels.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello beisser, 

In this case, the wireless card seems to be working fine due to it being able to handle other bands. 

We will check the issue internally and post back soon with more details, however, take into consideration that since we do not have a router model, I am unable to promise you that we will be able to find a concrete solution for the issue you are having. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

i am under NDA in this prerelease product-evaluation.

i will ask if it is ok to give the routermodel.

i will get back to you once i have a reply.

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

unfortunately as it turns out i am not allowed to divulge the name of the product im testing, but i have new unformation that enforces the issue on the matter.

a google pixel 6 phone was successfully able to see and connect to the 6ghz ssid here in germany, while the AX210 still doesnt show the ssid at all.

i would need a fixed driver/firmware that doesnt unnecessarily disable the cards capabilities.

0 Kudos
beisser
Beginner

has there been any update of any kind on this?

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello beisser,

In order for us to be able to assist you, we need certain information about the device. Since this is an unreleased device that cannot be shared, our recommendation is to contact the system manufacturer of the router and explain the situation. They will need to perform the corresponding debugging for the device to work with Intel devices and contact us back in order to be able to assist them. 

Once the debugging is done and the OEM is ready to contact Intel, please contact us via the Developer Zone where a specialized team will be able to help you with everything you need. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/overview.html

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello beisser,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos