Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

AX211 disconnect on notebook heavy graphic load.

Hirsch72
Beginner

AX211 normally is working, both on 2.4 and 5GHz. But on heavy notebook load wifi dramatically loose range and disconnects from router except when 1m close. Both on battery and plugged in. Fresh new Inspiron 16 Plus 7620. Specifically happen on first processor intensive game tried on device - honkai star rail. When RTX3060 kicks in, wifi disconnects and can't see most routers around.
* Lowering display resolution helps, setting frame rate to 30fps helps
* 2.4GHz allow for little higher load. * all Dell drivers current, including AX211, RTX3060 and Intel Dynamic Tuning Driver
* AX211 settings No SMPS and Highest transmit power.
For me look like some AX211 voltage problem.
Are there any revelant settings in Windows 11 or bios that could help?
Could this be motherboard or specific net card problem?
Can AX211 be replaced with more "tolerant" card?
Or perhaps only option ir usb wifi dongle, as ugly as it will be?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Hirsch72,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having connectivity issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions: 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Hirsch72
Beginner

Hello, Andres!

Thank You for looking into it.

This is fresh new pc, just one week in use. Everything work good, wifi is stable and speed is good.
Then tried to setup Honkai star rail and... could'nt, because at content download screen (some 3d fluff) wifi drops.
But also can reproduce for example with Valley Benchmark.
Got that Honkai game up and running lowering windows resolution (so game's default too).
There is resolution, on which first 2.4GHz stop disconnecting, then lowering more also 5GHz start working.
I have feeling, that most impact is exactly resolution, not power load, heat, voltage etc.
My first idea was that PSU is not keeping up, but I think that would have much more wider symptoms. Also thought about some radio intereference, as wifi card and GPU is quite close.

But then I learned that AX211 is mostly radio, delegating most wifi stack functions to CPU, and now have suspicion that somehow RTX3060 take up some bus bandwidth and mess with CPU and AX211 comunication. Probably... I'm realy db server designer and have no detailed knowledge about hardware.

This notebook, strangely enough, don't have ethernet connector and card.

If this can't be helped, I could probably try to upgrade to AX210, but I'm not sure if that will work in this Dell's CNVio2 slot?

Eriks

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Hirsch72,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

Please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Hirsch72
Beginner

Hello Andres!

Already tried all these drivers, then have no impact on issue.

But I tried with different router, able to monitor my notebook signal strength, and found that its quite unstable. Simple notebook rotation change it for 10db, but running RTX3060 process dump it for 20db. Dont know is it expected (10db on rotation) but 20db on GPU seem wrong. 

Actually going to router very close it is possible get connection with GPU running, so it seams not "binary" problem but some radio problem. Can it be, are there some antenna connection problems? - not opened notebook yet.

Eriks

0 Kudos
Ale_Ale
Novice
The next generation of Wifi adapters with Cnvio3, which will be released I think in a year, will not be supported on your device, prepare money for a new computer.
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Hirsch72,

Thank you for your answer, it has been really helpful.

I will start an investigation to provide you with the next steps, as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Hirsch72,

We have been working on the investigation, and we have covered all the troubleshooting steps, in this case, we recommend contacting the laptop manufacturer for debugging to discard any hardware failure, one thing should affect the other one.

We will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos