Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

After upgrading Windows10 to 1903/1909, Wifi signal is too weak. My Wireless Adapter is: AC-8260. Driver version: 20.70.15.1.

BFron2
Beginner

0 Kudos
15 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. What is your laptop model? You should download the latest WiFi and Bluetooth drivers from the manufacturer site.
  2. Is your Windows 32bit or 64bit version?

Leon

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Hi,

Lenovo Yoga 14.

I downloaded the latest drivers but still have the same problem. They told me to download the latest driver from Intel, which I did, but the issue persists.

It is a 64 bit version.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello BFron2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue persists and you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Actually yes. I still have the issue.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

BFron2, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

When did the issue start?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

What is the model of the Router?

Is the laptop device the only computer connected to the Wireless network?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello BFron2, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Hi,

My answers between lines:

Is this a new computer?

No

Was it working fine before?

Yes

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Yes. Updated to Windows 10 Home rev. 1903/1909.

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

It came installed in the computer.

When did the issue start?

After upgrading Windows 10 to 1903/1909.

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Internet is working fine. I have other laptops and cell phones connected to the same router and the wifi signal is very good or excellent.

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Home

What is the model of the Router?

It is regardless of the router. The issue is happenning with all routers.

Is the laptop device the only computer connected to the Wireless network?

No, there are others that work fine.

Thanks,

Bruno

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi BFron2, Thank you very much for providing those details.

Since the problem happened right after installing the Windows* update, first, we can try a BIOS update on the laptop. I looked in Lenovo's web site and the BIOS version currently available is 1.20 / 1.32, please install that version:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-yoga-14/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI

If necessary, please get in contact directly with Lenovo to gather the instructions of how to update the BIOS:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. The Wireless driver available on their web site is version 20.10.2, please try to install it:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-yoga-14/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

If the problem persists, then what we suggest will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo to report this scenario and to confirm if they have some reports of similar cases and what would be the solution for this matter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I bought my laptop 2 years ago, and it is out of guarantee, so Lenovo decided not to help me out with this issue.

I have Lenovo Vantage and System Update (Lenovo) applications installed on my computer, and the system is up to date with BIOS and Wireless LAN. This is, the version 20.70.15.1 of Wireless Adapter is installed.

Anyway, I uninstalled it and tried to install the version of the link that you provided, with no success. A message stating that the system has a newer version installed was displayed.

I think this is a driver issue and I can't get the correct driver that can make my adapter to work properly.

Thanks,

Bruno

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi BFron2, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to confirm, where are you seeing or how are you detecting that the signal of the Wireless connection is weak?

In reference to the phrase "A message stating that the system has a newer version installed was displayed", are you getting that message from Lenovo's application?

Enter "Device Manager", select "Network Adapters" and please provide a screenshot of the components listed in there, so we can confirm the Intel® Wireless card is properly detected.

Additionally, please provide the SSU report in order for us to verify additional details about the components being used in your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Hi,

In reference to the phrase "A message stating that the system has a newer version installed was displayed", are you getting that message from Lenovo's application?

I got this message when trying to install the driver that you provided in the previous link.

Enter "Device Manager", select "Network Adapters" and please provide a screenshot of the components listed in there, so we can confirm the Intel® Wireless card is properly detected.

Attached screenshot.

Additionally, please provide the SSU report in order for us to verify additional details about the components being used in your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Attached file.

Regards,

Bruno

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi BFron2, Thank you very much for providing the report.

For some reason, I cannot see the picture you shared in the thread.

Just to confirm, when you said that the signal of the Wireless connection is weak, how are you verifying that, for example, do you remember the speed the Wireless connection had before? Is that speed lower now?

Just for testing purposes, we can try to change the band of the connection, by selecting the 2.4GHZ band first, test it and then choose the 5GHz band and check if it makes a difference on the speed of the connection, please look for the "Preferred band" tab to see the steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

If the problem remains and since we already tested both drivers, the one provided by Lenovo and the one offered by Intel®, we can always try as an alternative to do a system restore to when the Wireless connection was working properly, in the following link you will find the instructions of how to do that, please back up all the important information before trying those steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Hi,

I send the screenshot within the screenshots.docx file.

The signal is weak because many wifi networks are not being showed, and the strength of the signal of the other networks that are available is lower than as are displayed in another laptop or my cell phone.

In fact, I have bought a USB Wifi adapter and the signal of the networks is stronger than the Intel Wireless card. Take a look to the screenshots within the screenshots.docx file (Wi-Fi2 is the Intel Wireless adapter and Wi-Fi3 is the usb Wireless adapter.

Changing the preferred bands did not solve the issue.

I have no restore points available prior to the Windows Update.

Regards,

Bruuno

0 Kudos
BFron2
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Today I installed the new version of the driver that Intel has released (20.70.16.4), but it did not resolve the issue.

Regards,

Bruno

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi BFron2, Thank you for letting us know that information.

Based on the fact that there are no restore points available prior to the Windows Update and that after installing the latest Intel® Wireless driver version 20.70.16.4 the issue persists, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo to gather the instructions of how to reset the laptop to factory settings and also to confirm if, by any chance this problem is related to a hardware issue with the Intel® Wireless card or with the laptop itself, it could be related to the antennas or even the flex on the computer:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos