Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Alternatives to Intel AC7260 Wireless Adapter Issues

MPell5
Novice

Hey everyone. I'm sure you are all sick and tired of waiting for a "solution" for the issues with these adapters. I'm confident we will never hear from Intel on an actual fix for this, so until you see a time when it's feasible to ditch this crappy adapter for one that actually works, I'll share this temporary fix with you guys.

I'll put it very simple. Use a DD-WRT compatible wireless router and run the thing in client mode. That simple. I'm using a little linksys router and connecting it to my home wireless network then using the ethernet port on it as a LAN port for my notebook.

So, this is my fix, how about everyone else?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I completely understand your frustration and I would feel the same. I truly apologize for all this inconvenience.

Perhaps you can provide me with the system information report? How to get it?

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Can you provide the router model and firmware version installed?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have one brand new HP laptop with AC7260 and two other laptops with N7260. All with Windows 8.1. All were having the infamous "Limited" connection problem. These are the things I did that I think fixed the problem:

1. Got a new router- Archer C8 with firmware 20141023-rel70351

2. Installed ALL windows updates especially optional update KB3000850

3. Installed latest Intel driver on the N7260's and AC driver from the HP website.

All three laptops are now working fine.

Attached system info from HP with AC7260.

0 Kudos
MPell5
Novice

Kevin, please explain to me why you Intel folk believe its another issue. I'm unsure why you want us to provide parallel hardware or router information. It seems highly irrelevant.

I've never ever had issues with conflicting hardware this day in age. I could understand having hardware conflicts in the Windows XP era but not so much now. Plus, all the issues with these cards are all similar between users.

Also, since I have not received an answer to my question on another thread, I'll ask you here. Why don't you guys try to use a notebook with your wireless adapter installed? If I were a big technology firm that's what I would do, then you could troubleshoot on your own without asking users to troubleshoot with you.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

mpelley92 Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Please note that I personally have been testing a Dell XPS 15 with the AC 7260 and honestly it is working perfect.

The reason why we request all this type of information is because sometimes hardware and software configuration on system can cause many different problems and we need to start checking all this information on your systems.

tzr916

We have released a very new driver. Please try installing I on your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24576 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24576

Kevin M

0 Kudos
MPell5
Novice

Alright Kevin, I have a test you can try. Open up two command prompt windows. Use one to ping googles DNS server and one to ping your own gateway. Now set them up so they ping continuously. Do this for about 10 minutes and try playing a real time game such as a mmo or fps or RTS. Do this and tell me if you have any interruptions. Because this is what we are experiencing. If you don't have these experiences, I want to know what drivers you are using so I can test them myself. Because I'm being honest right now when I say I'm ready to pull this card out of my notebook and take the hammer to it.

Now I can't get Bluetooth to work. So obviously the problems are adding up, and I'm not about to do another reformat to try and fix it.

Edit: It may be worth noting that I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 and it has been freshly formatted at the beginning of this week. I have done nothing but installed required drivers. All latest component drivers and all Windows updates. So to say that there is something wrong with my software is ridiculous. I am not a novice when it comes to maintaining an operating system or computer hardware and I do not download files filled with viruses and trojans. Hell, I haven't had to install an anti-virus since I was 12. So, now you know where I stand with computers and you know that my PC is the most stable and clean. Hence the reason why I believe that there is a driver/software/hardware issue rather than an issue with my own PC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Kevin.

I am NOT experiencing any problems using that exact new driver on my two N7260 laptops.

I am NOT experiencing any problems using v17.0.5.8 driver that came with the HP laptop AC7260 . I'll think about changing to your latest driver. The only version listed on the HP website right now is v17.1.0.19

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello mpelley92,

Please check your Private Messages.

tzr916,

It is good to hear latest driver fixed the issue.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
MPell5
Novice

Kevin,

I cannot call Intel customer support during the day because I am not home. I get back 5PM every day and have books to study so that is not a possibility for me right now. The only way I can speak with customer support is through here on the forum or through e-mail.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello mpelley92,

Please check your PMs.

0 Kudos
MPell5
Novice

Here is what I've been dealing with for 3 hours tonight. On the left is Google's DNS server. I was downloading so these are normal (aside from the timeouts).

On the right, we have pings to my gateway. Most of which were either timing out or close to it. Makes internet-related activities impossible.

0 Kudos