Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Antenna questions: single band, dual band, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz

idata
Employee

After having ploughed through all the FAQs and half the internet, my simple antenna question is still unanswered...

Do the 2.4 GHz (like the 1000) and 2.4/5 GHz (like the 6200) dual band wifi use different antennas in laptops?

I know there are people that remove their Wireless-N 1000 in favor of a dual band Wireless-N 6200 without even thinking about any antenna compatibility issues. They just do.

As far as I know, a simple formula shows that the 5 GHz antennas should be half the length of those operating at 2,4 GHz. But I don't find any antenna information at all. Why doesn't Intel even spend a single word on this extremely important issue? Why can't I find any antenna information in the product briefs of the different Centrino wireless cards? Where can I buy I set of compatible laptop antennas for Centrino wireless cards? How do I know if the antennas that are fitted in my laptop are compatible with the wireless card that is installed? How do I know if the antennas that are fitted in my laptop are compatible with the wireless card that I'd like to install?

I think it is time for a serious antenna FAQ, whitepaper or primer.

Anybody?

0 Kudos
0 Replies