Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Antenna wire connector broke off

R0Y
Beginner

This is embarrassing. 

I’ve worked with computers, both hardware and software my entire career. I’m not intimidated by repairs, nor am I clumsy. 

Tonight I was trying to replace a wifi module in a laptop. Not a big deal. I was changing a mediatek to an Intel ax 201. The problem was I could not get the antenna wires reattached. 

I tried on and off for hours. 

The connector on one of the wires eventually broke off. 

Im dumbfounded. 

I know PCs etc, but I don’t know how to fix this, who to bring it to. Lenovo is the party I need to fix it bc the antenna wires are attached to the laptop, but they won’t fix it as I was replacing the lousy mediatek they put in the thing. 

i need out of the box thinking from people who know more about electronics than I do. 

Can I solder that one wire with the broken connector to the wifi module? That’s the one solution I can think of short of throwing this thing out. Brand new as of November too. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I honestly have no idea what to do, how to approach this. I don’t even understand what I was doing wrong with connecting the wires in the first place. 

Gaming laptops are great but this shows their weakness. Something breaks the entire unit is destroyed. This is Probably a $.05 connector too. 

Thanks,

mike 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ignoring the breakage issue for now, I am actually not sure that this card is going to work for you anyway. The AX201 requires a motherboard with support for CNVio2. A motherboard that came with a MediaTek card is unlikely to support CNVio2 in this same M.2 socket. Have you tried powering on this laptop with the card installed and attempted to use it as-is? Will the driver installer even see it?

As for the breakage issue, these connectors are very delicate and you aren't the first to report this happening. Unfortunately, soldering isn't a simple matter; you would need to separately solder shield and core wire. 

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos