Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

Are 3165 and 9260 adapters interchangeble?

JCaho
Beginner

Can anyone tell me if Intel 3165 and 9260 wireless adapters are interchangeble?

I tried to replace an Intel 3165 adapter with a 9260 one in my Windows 10 computer and even though they look the same and it fit in the mini slot fine it was not recognized when Windows started.

I noticed two differences in the cards:

1) the 9260 has one extra gold contact (under the letter E)

2) the little black and white triangles by the two antenna attachments were reversed (although they are numbered the same)

I am unclear if the 9260 adapter is not compatible with my system (since it was not recognized) or whether it requires the antenna wires to be reversed to be recognized.

Has anyone replaced a 3165 adapter with a 8260?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do you know for certain that the 9260 you purchased on Amazon is:

1. New or used

2. Genuine Intel or knockoff

3, Undamaged and known to be good.

Provide an image of the labeling on the 9260.

Also, you mention "Has anyone replaced a 3165 adapter with a 8260?". Are you looking at that as an alternative as well?

But, what you really want to ask is if this is possible on your NUC5PGHY.

Doc

0 Kudos
JCaho
Beginner

) Package says that the 9260 is New

2) Have no idea if it is Genuine or Knockoff

3) Package says that it is New but have no way to verify if it works or is recognised in another device.

I attached pictures of the shielded package, actual adapter, and the Amazon site where it was purchased.

The 8260 reference was a typo and should have said 9260.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaycahow,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

In order to address this issue properly, please contact your system manufacturer since the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations.

You can also refer to the following support web links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

his system is a NUC5PGHY

doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

Please accept my apologies. I did not realize that it was an Intel® NUC.

The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 module came pre-installed in M.2 2230 slot and the drivers available for this unit support this Intel® Wireless adapter only. Replacing the Intel® Wireless adapter and installing other drivers may or may not work.

It is worth mentioning that if users have issues with the wireless network module, our recommendation is that they can contact Intel Support since we can replace the entire unit only.

Please refer to this support link provided above for more information.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos