Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

At what SNR levels does the AC wireless NIC roam to a better AP for

tverd2
Beginner

for the 802.11ac wireless NICs ( 8265 / 8260 / 7265 / 7260 ) , what is the SNR dB signal level at which the NIC determines if there is a closer, higher signal strength AP to roam to for the various settings ( Highest, Medium-High ​, Medium ).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello tverd2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Please have a look in the link below, this article covers information about the wireless roaming: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005546/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html If this does not help and you require the exact dB please let me know the reason why this is needed. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Jesus_Pavon
Beginner

Hi Intel guys,

I've found this post in the communities but sadly this is not the type of answer I was looking for.

As the old poster was asking, tuning enterprise network parameters and choosing the best placement for APs on high density deployments is something critical for best quality of experience, and this need to be to be taken into consideration along with client capabilities and configuration.

I'd expect a more detailed document than that mentioned before like this one or this from Apple.

Intel's document only mention subjective values such as Low, Medium, High (the same ones found under advanced options for roaming aggresiveness,  but this is not a real measurement of dBs, and modern high density deployments need from precise values to tune the performance and troubleshoot weird behaviours, sometimes realted to ping-ponmg effects due to hysteresis parameters or internal algorythm decitions.

Any feedback woul be appreciated.

Regards.

Jesus

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello tverd2, Were you able to check my post? Let me know if you need any more help. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
tverd2
Beginner

Hi David ,

That article doesn't give any dB values. The reason for asking is to better understand the expected behavior of client device roaming and be able to properly tune the enterprise network settings. If in a typical enterprise network we strive to ensure devices connect with at least 25 dB SNR. I need to know how the Intel settings affect causing a client to roam soon enough, but want to cause client devices to connect to alternate APs to spread the load, for instance when many staff with devices are in a meeting room. The Intel roaming aggressiveness setting and hysteresis may be better suited for one setting in a small office or home vs. another setting in an enterprise with more APs and many more client devices to load balance.

0 Kudos