Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Attempting to update Wifi driver for Dell XPS13 W10 Pro. Message is INSTALLATION BLOCKED: This version can not upgrade from the current older version.

JayTravis
Beginner

I'm attempting to update the Wifi driver in my Del XPS13 (Windows 10 Pro). I downloaded the driver and punched "Install" via Dell's Support page. I'm now presented with a squarish blue window stating "INSTALLATION BLOCKED: This version can not upgrade from the current older version. Please uninstall the older product manually". I have no understanding of how to uninstall the driver manually. Please advise how to do so without wrecking my system.

My primary objective is to update Windows 10 Pro to latest version. After initial Blue Screen failure and rollback to Version 1803, the Dell Tech told me I need to update all my drivers - especially the Intel drivers - before updating Windows.

However - I'm now stuck because I cannot get past this hurdle. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact Dell for assistance. They are responsible for your laptop support.

And, you should use the drivers provided by Dell.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

It seems that Dell XPS13 is not the complete system model number. To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your system configuration. 

Please generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach it to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Also, please let us know if the Intel® Wireless Adapter came preinstalled on the computer.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

Not sure if my earlier reply made it into the thread. Thanks for the assist. Please find attached SSU output.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

Thank you for your response. 

The system report attached shows that you are already using the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Wi-Fi driver available for your computer: 20.70.12.5. Go to the "Networking" section of the report to check this information.

Now, according to Dell*, the latest driver package version available for your computer is 21.40.1.2307, A08. However, the driver version that is displayed in Device Manager is 20.70.12.5.

Drivers for your XPS 13 9365 2-in-1

Intel 3165/7265/8260/8265 WiFi driver Version 21.40.1.2307, A08

Note: Please find all this details in the "Important Information" section at the bottom of the page.

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

It seems that you do not need to install a newer OEM driver in order to update Windows* 10 to the latest version.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

Were you able to contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to find out whether you are using the latest driver for your computer based on their website?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

Wanner -

Thank you for your follow up. I've been out of town for the past week and today buried with other tasks.

I've not yet had an opportunity to communicate your findings to the OEM. Their latest recommendations are that I need to perform a "clean install" of the OS because the Wifi driver from their driver update wizard won't install (the same one I opened this ticket about).

It will be Monday at the earliest before I have an opportunity to address further.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

As soon as you have any updates, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

Do you have any updates?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

Wanner G. - Thank you again for your continued assistance. I just this morning had the opportunity to re-read your response regarding your SSU findings. My understanding of your message is that the SSU system report indicates that my computer has WiFi driver version 20.70.12.5 installed and there is a later Intel driver available from Dell (21.40.1.2307, A08).

I think that is precisely my problem. I am unable to install the later version. When I am attempting to use the Dell "Update Drivers" wizard the installation of the Intel WiFi drivers ends with the squarish blue Intel window described in my opening question. The window states "INSTALLATION BLOCKED: This version can not upgrade from the older version. Please uninstall the older product manually".

I have no experience or understanding of how to manually uninstall the older driver and then install the latest driver without wrecking the WiFi on my machine. I need assistance from someone on how to perform the uninstall/reinstall safely and accurately.

Just to restate - this all started with my inability to update to the latest Windows 10 OS release. When I initially did so, I received the dreaded MS Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and had to roll back to the prior W10 version (1803). While working with a Dell tech, he advised me to update all of my drivers BEFORE attempting to update W10. The Intel WiFi driver is the one remaining driver I need to update prior to re-attempting to update my OS.

I have another call scheduled with the Dell tech this morning to revisit everything. My current problem with this particular tech is that he seems to want to take the "broad brush" approach of throwing up his hands and simply reinstalling my OS - which will wipe my data all other applications. The data I can back up, of course. But reinstalling the applications and then recovering the backed up data is way more effort than I want to expend.

Again - I appreciate your assistance.

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

I just now realized that I never uploaded the Intel error and underlying log file that I referred to in my opening forum message.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

21.40.1.2307, A08 is a driver package version. The driver package version is usually the same version for different Intel® Wireless Adapters. In your case, the driver package is the same for Dell* systems that may have one of these adapters installed:

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

However, the Intel® Wireless driver version is usually a different driver version depending on the Intel® Wireless Adapter installed in the computer. Having said that, the latest wireless driver version available for your system configuration is still 20.70.12.5.

• What is the driver version the Dell* software is trying to install?
  • To perform a manual installation, try the following steps:

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel® Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

If the problem persists, it would be best to go back to your system manufacturer for driver downloads. If you are experiencing issues with, or have questions about, your computer system, the system manufacturer is the best source of support.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

Wanner G

Apologies for not responding. I've been buried with client work. I plan to work on this problem again this coming weekend. Please keep the question open for a while longer.

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

Wanner G -

I was able to successfully download, extract, and "update" the recommended driver from Del's website. When I initially attempted to install it via the "wizard", I received the same message described earlier. After the initial failure, I took the following steps:

1. I successfully followed your earlier instruction steps 1-5 to manually uninstall the driver, including checking the "delete the software" attribute.
  2. Based on instructions I found elsewhere on the web, I performed your steps 1-5 until the "delete software" checkbox was no longer available. At that time, the driver properties said the driver version was 19.50.1.6.
  3. I then launched the downloaded Dell EXE file again. However this time, rather than press the "Install" button, I opted to "extract the contents" of the EXE file to a hard drive folder.
  4. I then went back to the Device Manager and manually "updated" the driver by browsing to the folder to which I had extracted the content. The message told me I successfully installed the driver. Checking the Properties again, I see that the driver version is again 20.70.12.5.

This continues to leaves me confused about the different between a Package version and a Driver version.:

• My Wifi adapter is an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
  • The EXE file I downloaded from Dell is named Intel-3165-7265-8260-8265-WiFi-driver_6X88K_WIN_20.120.1.970_A05_01.EXE. The naming convention of the file leads me to believe that after installing it, the driver version of the Wifi adapter via the Device Manager should read 20.120.1.970, NOT 20.70.12.5. Am I misunderstanding how to interpret the filename? I can find nothing on the Dell website or elsewhere that tells me what version I should expect after running the EXE file.

Any additional advice? Thanks again for your continued assistance.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JayTravis,

Thank you for your input. 

A driver package version, also known as software package, typically contains various driver versions for different Intel® Wireless Adapter and operating system (OS) combinations.

The driver version may be different from the software/package version. Not all drivers included in the package always receive an update. This means certain drivers may be the same driver from previous package. You do not need to update to the latest package if the driver is the same.

You can find the driver version in a specific software package detailed description provided by Dell*.

• Intel 3165/7265/8260/8265 Wi-Fi driver package
  • Important information section > After installing the package, the Intel 8265 Wi-Fi driver version in Device Manager is 20.70.12.5.

Links to third party sites and references to third party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
JayTravis
Beginner

Well done, Wanner G.!

Thank you for the clear and concise explanation. I understand much better now. I did overlook the “Important Information” section of the Dell package description.

As FYI – Because of your help, I was also able to successfully update my Windows 10 OS to version 1809, Build 17763.805 and was able to “pause” my next updates until 12/15/19. All is well for the moment.

Again, thanks for the support. Please close the question now.

0 Kudos