Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

BAD_POOL_CALLER error trying to use windows 8.1 laptop as a WiFi hotspot.

JRich10
Beginner

The title explains the question pretty well. Anytime I try to use my windows laptop as a WiFi hotspot, it ends up crashing about 30 seconds in and I end up getting a BAD_POOL_CALLER error. I am currently using the Intel Dual Band Wireless driver recommended from the Asus website (which is my brand of computer). I have tried using the most recent version from the Intel website, but it ends up causing a different error all together (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION if I remember correctly). I've tried factory resetting my computer on two different occasions and tried a couple different versions of the driver with no luck. As of now, all my drivers are fully up to date (with the exception of the Wireless driver since I'm using the one the Asus site recommends). Does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Dwilliams99,

We would like to inform that recent Intel® Wireless Adapters do not support Hosted and Ad-Hoc networks. We are not able to recommend any way to use your laptop as hotspot in Windows 8.1*.

We would like to add that Windows® 10 version 1607 (Windows® 10 Anniversary Update) introduces a similar feature called the mobile hotspot, which is based on Wi-Fi Direct and allows sharing internet through a supported Wi-Fi adapter.

For more information, please review the following document: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023257/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Hosted and Ad-Hoc Networks are Not Working on Windows® 10.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dwilliams99,

We haven't received any updates for a while. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Leonardo.
0 Kudos