Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Low Energy/Smart) Drivers for Intel Centrino 6235 need fix

JWong20
Beginner

Hi:

I recently bought a Bluetooth 4.0 LE mouse (Hewlett Packard Z8000 ). Upon pairing the mouse with different Intel PROSet Bluetooth Software versions I had issues. I tried 4 different

versions of the Bluetooth software. The results I obtained from the different Bluetooth Drivers is listed bellow:

version Date result

-------- ----------- -----------

BT_3.1.1311_s64 n/a after pairing mouse does not respond

BT_17.0.1401.03_s64 4/10/2014 mouse does not respond after turning mouse button from off to on

or waking computer from sleep

BT_17.0.1405.02_s64 6/30/2014 Can redetect mouse after wake up from sleep and turning on button

However, mouse does not respond after PC is rebooted

BT_17.1.1406.01_s64 7/30/2014 does not provide Bluetooth 4.0+HS, BT radio functionality, shown as generic under device manager

Mouse not discovered in pairing wizard.

My best result was obtained from Bluetooth version BT_17.0.1405.02_s64. But when I REBOOT the computer the mouse DOES NOT RESPOND even though it shows it appears in

Devices and Printers." The device appears as "authenticated" but is not functional when laptop is RESTARTED/shut down followed by turn on. I need to repair mouse every time I turn

laptop ON, which is unacceptable

The laptop I am trying to pair the mouse with is an HP Envy 3277NR and runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP! with all current updates installed. Can you please provide

in your future release a fully functional Bluetooth software that fully supports Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy devices/mouse.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Jose5,

I am sorry you are having this problem but let me help you.

Please note that the Bluetooth 4.0 LE is a newer version of BT that is not backwards compatible with previous versions of Bluetooth. At this point, the Wireless card 6235 runs with BT 3.0 only and this may be the reason why your BT 4.0 device is not working properly.

My recommendation is to update the BIOS of the computer so you can get some micro-codes and run Windows updates to get some BT updates that can fix some issues.

Here you can check some more information about the TB 4.0:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

Ty for the reply. The Intel Centrino 6235 does support Bluetooth 4.0 LE according to the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/centrino/centrino-advanced-n-wimax-6235-brief.html Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235: Product Brief

Also, under Bluetooth radios in "Device Manager", the Bluetooth adapter shows as "Bluetooth 4.0 + HS" in the current PROSet BT software I am running.

I am currently running the latest BIOS from HP for my laptop model which is BIOS "Version F.0B" found in next link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5273462# N1173 Software & driver downloads HP ENVY 17-3277nr Notebook PC | HP® Support

I am also, up to date with all Windows 7 updates. Unless there are updates for BT that I don't know about.

Please note that there is not native support for Bluetooth 4.0 LE in Windows 7 only in Windows 8 and above. In order for Bluetooth 4.0 to

work in Windows 7, we need a third party driver (intel) for the Bluetooth 4.0 that is not crippled. The BT_17.0.1405.02_s64 BT driver works with Bluetooth 3.0 and lower

devices. It is only with BT 4.0 that does not work.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Jose5 - Does it make any difference if you disable "Allow the computer to turn this device off..." setting on Power management tab? You can get to this setting

by right clicking on Intel Bluetooth Adapter device node in device manager and selecting Properties option.
0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

Hi Kumar,

I already tried a multitude of settings. Before I posted here my issues, I had already unchecked "Allow the computer to turn this device off" for the Bluetooth radio

in "Device Manager" under Bluetooth.

I also checked "Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" in BT properties.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

OK, you need to stick with 1401/1405 for now since you have install issue with 1406. The install issue with 1406 need to be root caused separately. Could help if you can share the logs under c:\windows\inf folder after you installed 1406.

With generic driver, you will not get LE support on Win7. We should be able to share some scripts for additional log collection. Hope you can support. Quickly, do you happen to have any other HID device (LE or classic) and check if the issue is device specific or not.

---

Disclaimer: Not speaking for my employer

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

For now I am sticking with 1405 because it works better than the others. But don't like the idea of having to pair the BT mouse everytime I reboot/power on the laptop.

I have a second Bluetooth Mouse currently paired without issues, it is the Logitech M555b which is a classic BT 2.0 device according to the following link:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43732/~/logitech-bluetooth-mouse-m555b-technical-specifications Logitech Bluetooth Mouse M555b Technical Specifications - Logitech FAQ

This device responds well without any issues on 1405, It responds when turning mouse button OFF then ON, waking computer from sleep, or rebooting/powering ON the laptop.

I can provide with the logs if u tell me what I am looking for, the c:\window\inf is big and I don't know what to look for. Also, I currently have 1405 installed, do I need to

reinstall 1406 again in order to get access to these logs? Also If you have a utility to extract this info I can install it.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

That's correct. To root cause the install issue with 1406, you will have to re-install 1406. Once installation is finished and if you still see BT device node appear as a Generic adapter, please share c:\windows\inf\SetupAPI.dev.log and c:\windows\inf\SetupAPI.app.log files. By running autorun.exe or setup.exe this way (setup.exe /l*vx 1406_install_issue.log) from command prompt, you will be able to collect more detailed logs as well.

Regarding the issue with mouse - It is likely interoperability issue with this particular LE mouse. Since you do not have any other LE mouse, can't confirm until the issue is root caused.

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

ok I rerun the BT software setup from command prompt windows as :

BT_17.1.1406.01_s64.exe /l*vx 1406_install_issue.log"

I found the two specific files Setupapi.app.log and Setupapi.dev.log

I attached a screen shot of device manager with 1406 installed

Update: I inserted both log files as attachment

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Thank you!. I'll follow up.

---

Disclaimer: Not speaking for my employer

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

Hope to see my BT 4.0 mouse REBOOT issue resolved in next BT software release.

Update: I paired the same LE mouse (HP Z8000) on a windows 8.1 laptop and there are no issues. This other laptop uses an Intel 7260 AC WiFi/BT combination card with Intel Generic BT and WiFi Drivers. In this windows 8.1 laptop I am not getting reboot/disconnect issues.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Jose5 - Regarding LE mouse issue - What did you mean by "other laptop uses 7260 with generic BT drivers"?

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

I tried the LE (HP Z8000) mouse on another laptop, a Toshiba Laptop that has windows 8.1. In this laptop I previously removed the stock WiFi (Realtek) card and

I installed an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, followed by download and install of Intel Generic Bluetooth and WiFi software and drivers. In this laptop I

am not experiencing any disconnect issues with the LE mouse. I wanted to check if the mouse was faulty or if using generic drivers is an issue, that's why I tried it on this laptop

even though it has different WiFi from the laptop I am having issues with.

The problem/issue (as reported in my first post in this thread) is with my HP Envy 3277NR laptop that uses Windows 7 SP1 which uses an Intel Centrino 6235 card

and generic Bluetooth drivers.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

OK, I'm still bit confused. When you say "Generic Bluetooth drivers", does the BT adapter appears as a Generic Bluetooth Adapter" on the device manager. Usually, if Intel Bluetooth software has been installed, it will appear as "Intel Wireless Bluetooth Adapter" or something like that.

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

No, the BT adapter does not appear as Generic Bluetooth Adapter in device manager.

When I say generic, I mean a driver/software provided from Intel in their download page which is not OEM. In other words I am not using Bluetooth Drivers

provided by OEM laptop manufacturer e.i Toshiba or HP.

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

Hi kevin_intel

I already tried that BT driver. In fact, it is listed in my first post as BT_17.0.1405.02_s64 &dated 6/30/2014 .

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I am sorry you are still having this problem. My best recommendation at this point is to contact our support Center for them to get more specific details of the system.

US

Contact information:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

Currently waiting on next BT Proset release. Hope it has better Bluetooth LE support, though I don't know if that will be the case

since it is based on the Motorola BT Stack.

0 Kudos
JWong20
Beginner

When is the Bluetooth software going to be released for the Centrino 6235?

Is the Bluetooth version 17.1.1409.01 compatible with the 6235 because is not listed. It only lists the following adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160*

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260*

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop*

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260*

Intel® Wireless-N 7260*

Please provide estimated release date for 6235 Bluetooth proset software

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jose5,

There will be an update soon but a release date is not yet available. For now, you are welcome to check whenever you a chance to see if it has been released.

0 Kudos