Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Bluetooth losing and regaining connection (Wireless AC 9560)

KZado
Beginner

My machine intermittently drops Bluetooth connections. It happens every time after startup: my Bluetooth mouse initially works, then stops working for about a minute, then it starts working again.

Sometimes during a Zoom call both the mouse and my Bluetooth headset stop working. They usually recover eventually, but sometimes I need to restart my machine to make them work again.

Nothing obvious is visible in system logs. I have the latest Bluetooth drivers and Windows patches. Here is the output from the System Support Utility:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise(10.0.19043 Build 19043)
Physical Memory (Installed): 32 GB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz
System Type: x64-based PC
Total Installed Updates: 36 Updates - See Detailed View for more information
Display Adapter(s): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 27.20.100.8729
NVIDIA Quadro P1000 27.21.14.5266
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 20MES03800
Network Adapter(s): Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) 10.0.19041.1
Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter 10.0.19041.1
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM 12.18.9.8
Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz 22.40.0.7
Disk(s): WDC PC SN720 SDAQNTW-512G-1001 171.76 GB (available) 10.0.19041.789

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello KZado, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. 

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this issue recent? If so, when did it start?

3. Are you experiencing Wi-Fi issues?

4. Have you tried with the drivers from the laptop manufacturer?

5. Do you see an error code or yellow mark at the device manager?

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
KZado
Beginner

Deivid, thanks for the reply

1. I am a bit reluctant to share the  whole result of SSU Everything/Detailed scan because it has a bunch of PII in the logs. If there is something specific that you want me to check, I can definitively share.

2. The issue has started about a couple of months ago. Possibly it was related to one of the OS updates, I am not certain.

3.  No WiFi issues observed.

4. The drivers I am running are the latest Lenovo has for my machine.

5. I have seen "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10) – STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE" error literally just once (associated with Intel Wireless Bluetooth device). That went away after system restart. Other than that I do not see any errors in Device Manager. Bluetooth just stops working for a minute, then it "fixes" itself. Usually the machine goes through this cycle just once, shortly after system startup and logging in. Sometimes it happens several (2-3) times in a row.

Question for you: is there a setting that would turn on more verbose logging for the Intel Bluetooth driver? 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello KZado, 

Based on the information provided, I would like you to try the following:

1. Clean installation of Intel drivers:

- Driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30326/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless/intel-wireless-gigabit-products.html

2. Rollback Windows version.

3. Check for a BIOS update.

4. Try reinstalling Windows.

5. If none of the previous steps worked, contact Lenovo for further steps.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
KZado
Beginner

Sounds good, will try that, thanks.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello KZado,

Thanks for the update, I will be waiting for the results of these steps.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello KZado,  

Were you able to try the recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
KZado
Beginner

Deivid, I did clean driver installation and checked for BIOS updates. These did not help.

Honestly, reinstallation of Windows is not possible for me currently; it would be too disruptive for my work. I can live with the problem now and hope that one of the future updates to the drivers and/or BIOS/chipset/Windows OS will solve it for good. 

Appreciate the follow-up. Cheers!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello KZado, 

I do appreciate the update. I understand that you can not reinstall Windows at this moment, this could be quite complicated with laptops. 

The best thing to do at this point would be to get in contact with the laptop manufacturer and check for further instructions or check the warranty options.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
KZado
Beginner

I was able to finally find a workaround for this issue:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers" node
  3. For every "USB Root Hub" device (there might be more than one), open Properties, then go to "Power Management" tab and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option. Do this for every USB Root Hub device.

This seems to take care of this problem on my machine. Tested with both Windows 10 and Windows 11. Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos