Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth sporadic on NUC N2820FYKH0 Wireless N-7260 Windows 8.1

smcbr
Novice

I just setup an Intel NUC N2820FYKH0 with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. It has an Intel Wireless N-7260 WiFi / Bluetooth adapter. I have installed the latest Bluetooth Driver 17.0.1405.460 and Wireless driver 17.0.5.8. The WiFi works well with good throughput and signal strength. The Bluetooth will allow me to pair a keyboard and mouse but randomly / sporadically drops the connection and reconnects. This makes the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse unusable.

This does not appear to be signal strength related because this sporadic connections occur even in close proximity to the NUC. The SYSTEM Event log contains Warning Event ID 2 from HidBth - "Bluetooth HID device either went out of range or became unresponsive." I have disassembled the NUC and verified and reconnected the Bluetooth card and the antennas.

I have verified that the problem is not the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse by connecting via Bluetooth to my Thinkpad T440p which has an AC-7260 card. The keyboard and mouse work very well even from 10 or more feet away from the notebook. I have tried disabling the WiFi on the NUC to see if it is interfering with the Bluetooth signal and the problem remains. I have tried other drivers with no effect. I have power cycled the NUC after any Bluetooth changes.

Any suggestions?

8 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Staceym, since you are running the latest drivers available for your network adapter, I would recommend you checking if there your system needs a Windows update.

0 Kudos
smcbr
Novice

I fully updated Windows 8.1 Pro using Windows Update before I posted my issue.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
RFeke
New Contributor I

I have the same issue with a Wireless AC-7260 on a D54250WYKH and this problem is there since these cards appeared on the market.

Anybody who owns one of these Wireless+BT adapters have the exact same issue.

It's not related to anything else, the problem is with the bluetooth adapter and it needs a working driver, but as I said this issue is there for long months and there are other threads about this (like mine over /thread/52408 here), but after some common answers (e.g. telling to update the bios, drivers etc.) usually nobody gets a usable answer about this serious bluetooth problem.

As they said, Intel engineering is working on this matter, but nothing happens and the problem is just there as it was before.

PS: This bluetooth problem appeared three times while I wrote this answer.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys could you please try Bluetooth within a short range with clear line of sight?

Bluetooth is a low energy wireless connection and all objects around it could interfere the signal

0 Kudos
RFeke
New Contributor I

Okay, so just to be really sure that the problem is with the driver, I completely turned off my router, phone and everything else that uses power and closed the windows and the door.

I turned on the NUC in front of my bluetooth mouse and started to move the mouse pointer around, but after a few minutes the pointer stops, so the problem is still there.

By the way, I don't have any log entries when this happens, but you can check the other things I tried /thread/52408 here, but nothing solves the problem and as Allan said it's a known problem and Intel engineering is working on this matter, but how long? Because the new bluetooth driver still have the issue.

Is there any beta version that we could try?

Could you please contact the engineering team and ask them about the progress?

Thanks

0 Kudos
smcbr
Novice

Hi Sylvia

As I said in my original post "sporadic connections occur even in close proximity to the NUC". I can literally have the keyboard/mouse touching the NUC and the problem still occurs. Also, the AC-7260 in my Thinkpad T440p works fine with the keyboard at any reasonable range.

As I have ruled out all other possibilities, this is either a defective wireless card or a driver issue.

What I really need to know is should I RMA the unit or does Intel have a fix for the bluetooth problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Guys,

I totally understand your frustration and believe me I would feel the same if I were affected with this problem.

Checking the thread I see you have done many important troubleshooting steps so I know you have heard this before but we are working towards a solution, we are investigating and trying to provide the solution for you as soon as possible. At this point, we do not have an ETA but I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, I am going to research more on this so that I can provide more troubleshooting steps.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
GBrun2
Beginner

Hi all,

there were no updates on this thread but it seems to me that the problem persists (also with latest BT driver 17.1.1501.01).

Any news?

Thx

GB

0 Kudos