Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Can't connect to 5Ghz WIFI after updating to Win 10 V-1909

ThomasLindquist
Beginner

Hi,

Looks as I'm not alone with this problem but can it be solved? Having a Dell Latitude 7280 with Intel Dual Band wireless AC-8265. It was working fine with my previous Windows 10 version. Have updated the driver 20.70.16.4 which Windows and Dell found recent and OK to Intel recommended 20.70.18.2 but still "can't to this network" pops up when trying to connect to 5Ghz WIFI. 2.4Ghz works fine but is terribly slow.

Is there a solution to this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• I understand that this behavior occured after the upgrade to the version 1909 of Windows 10*, are you able to upgrade to version 2004?

• How did you perform the update of the wireless driver? Have you check for the drivers from the manufacturer website?

I would like to share with you the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity. Can you please compare the settings from the article with yours?

Additionally, please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
ThomasLindquist
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

Tank's for your reply!

Yes, this problem started after 1909 installation. My previous had a problem after an unsuccessful update so it was cleaned out and reinstalled by my IT department. 2004 is not available in our company yet.

The initial driver was installed together with the Windows installation and the latest one according to Dell Command/update. The driver I'm using now is the one found and recommended after using Intel Driver & support assistant.

The advanced settings is as the recommended a/b/g and ac (have tried n too). The AP settings also looks OK: a/n/ac, width is set to auto (20/40/80Mhz). The SSU report is attached.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist,

Thank you so much for your response and the report attached.

I understand that you used the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, when talking about this utility and OEM devices such as laptops there are several factors that we need to take into consideration:

1.   The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant(IDSA) provides Intel generic drivers. This utility is intended to be used with Intel devices (Intel NUCs, Intel Compute Sticks, etc) the use of this utility with an Original Equipment manufacturer (OEM) devices may provide drivers that are not fully compatible/validated with the laptop.

2.   Your laptop manufacturer may have have pre-installed the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software on your system to enable OEM-specific features or performed other customizations. Therefore, we always recommend to download and install the drivers provided from your OEM website. In this case DELL*

This is important because in that way we are avoiding any impact caused by the load of a non-customized driver for your computer. I would strongly recommend to check with your laptop manufacturer or use a DELL* utility to check for drivers and install the appropriate driver for your device. The link provided in the previous interaction should work for you.

Additionally, It’s really important to make sure that the operating system is up to date. As soon as you notice that the upgrade to version 2004 is available you can try it.

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance?  

Please do not hesitate in replying to this email with your preferred contact method and time to reach you.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
ThomasLindquist
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

This is not solved yet.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You should try doing a clean install. Here is the proper process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29790/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94854
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features app, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  4. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  5. In Device Manager > Network Adapters, check for entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560. If none, go to Step 8.
  6. Right click on the entry for your Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 and uninstall it., choosing to "Delete the driver software for this device".
  7. Go to Step 4.
  8. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  10. Install the Bluetooth driver package.
  11. Install the Wireless driver package.
  12. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  13. Enable Internet access.
  14. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist,

Were you able to perform the steps recommended by the community?

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
ThomasLindquist
Beginner

Hi Esteban, have not tried the last advice

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist,

Thank you for your response.

I would strongly recommend giving it a try.

Please let us know what the outcome is after the clean installation of the driver.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ThomasLindquist, 

We have not heard back from you. Hopefully you were able to resolve this behavior after contacting your OEM.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos