Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Can’t update WiFi driver.

Bastet
New Contributor I

Hello, I’ve had this problem for some time & lived with it but now I’m asking for suggestions.
Whenever I try to download WiFi drivers it appears to succeed but the version never changes.
There’s no error.
I’ve tried via the support assistant tool, manually via .exe & via .zip.
Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Current driver: 20.70.18.2

Tia.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Right, I've answered already in my post above, you have the latest version installed (i.e.  version 20.70.18.2).

Why Intel is offering this update? Wait unit Monday to have answer from Intel.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
mark234
Novice

i always get   Installation failed ,  wireless 3165 

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please read this thread and solution.

Leon

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I

The update states it is for my graphics card yet when I look deeper at the compatibility it states that my graphics card can’t install the latest version but remains on the version I mentioned.

Thanks but I’ve already tried that suggestion.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Bastet 

Can you please clarify what is your question? The link I given you in my previous post was to solution how to update the WiFi driver, rather than Graphics Driver.

BTW the version 20.70.18.2 you have installed, is the latest driver version for AC 8260 card (it is part of 21.110.1 driver package)

Leon

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I

Sorry I meant WiFi driver.

Yet the update is offered & states it’s for my WiFi card yet I can’t upgrade to the latest version.
My point now is if I cannot update further than the version I mentioned why is the update offered?

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I

Thanks. I’m not receiving any errors nor BSoD, the .exe file runs & installs the driver but it isn’t the latest shown but the latest from my WiFi adapter.

I’ve already tried installing via the .zip file.

My point now is that why Intel is offering an update for my PC which doesn’t update the version & whether this is a bug or not.
The fixes for WiFi released In this update I cannot apply.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Bastet 

What is the model of your WiFi adapter?

Leon

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Right, I've answered already in my post above, you have the latest version installed (i.e.  version 20.70.18.2).

Why Intel is offering this update? Wait unit Monday to have answer from Intel.

Leon

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I

Thanks Leon.

I’ve read the update fixes WiFi not turning on Immediately when the PC starts up.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Bastet, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, we always recommend to install the Wireless drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since those drivers were customized by them work with your specific platform. The Intel® Wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your system since they do not contain the customizations done by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

Keep in mind that the Intel® Driver and Support Assistant Tool was designed to work with Intel® products like for example Intel® NUCs and Compute Sticks, you can always use it on 3rd party products but it might not be that accurate in finding and installing the proper drivers.

"If I cannot update further than the version I mentioned why is the update offered?"

The reason why you get the notification about doing the update is because what the Intel® Driver and Support Assistant application does is a comparison between the OEM drivers and the Intel® drivers, if it detects that, based on the released date, there is a newer driver on either side it will suggest to do the update to that driver but that does not necessarily mean that it is the proper driver for your platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I

My PC’s manufacturer hasn’t released any new drivers since 2016 hence why I’m using those from Intel.

I’m not running any OEM drivers & haven’t since I clean installed Windows last year & I downloaded direct from Intel.

In any case I have an answer. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Bastet, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing those details.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Inte

0 Kudos
mark234
Novice

still does NOT work on my pc,  and NOT with the alternate procedure  via  device manager update.

My version is stil  19.51.30.1

0 Kudos