Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Cannot connect to a 32 character ssid using 8260 or 7260

idata
Employee

Am using the latest driver on a 8260AC (ver 19.1.0.4).

When trying to connect to a SSID of 30 or 31 characters it seems to connect. Using a SSID of 32 characters does not.

I have run Wireshark captures using an AirPCAP adapter and have verified that the card is generating probe requests for 30 and 31 characters, but not 32.

I have verified this issue on several laptops in the office.

Another coworker verified the following on the 7260:

"I had the 17.0.5.8 driver from 6/18/2014 and my system was working. I updated to 18.33.3.2 (the latest) and could not connect to the Device. I then moved to the driver 18.21.0.2 from 11/9/2015 which would not work. I also tried 17.16.0.4 from 4/20/2015 which also worked."

Could this be a off by one error in the driver preventing probe requests from going out?

I should also mention that this is a non-broadcast SSID, so am creating a profile with the specified SSID and manually connecting.

Thank you,

Steve

0 Kudos
27 Replies
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Before we go any further, could you please provide brand and model as well as the firmware version of the router and you are attempting to connect to? Also, let us know the OS version you are using. if possible, let us know the exact error message you are seeing. if possible, provide us some screen shots if this issue.

Please, collect the logs through this tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility as well as the logs obtained here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005787.html Running the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Manual Diagnostics Tool

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am gathering the information you requested, sorry it's taking a bit longer than I expected due to other obligations.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank for replying, we can understand that. Please, as soon as you have the information ready let us know.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I ran the SSU and submitted the scan results and the log file (ticket 01771804)

The AP is a Linksys e1000, firmware version 1.0.01 vuild 7.

We have seen the problem on Windows 7 and 10.

Here is the screenshot of the connect attempt:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan

The standard is 32 bit. Some access point/router firmware versions use null-terminated strings and accept only 31 characters.s there an specific reason to use 32 characters?

Checking the other case, we could not locate the SSU logs attached to the other case you have informed. Please be so kind and submit it here so we can take a look.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We use a 32 character non-broadcast SSID for some custom wifi hardware we develop.

Lately we noticed that the newer Intel drivers were no longer generating a probe request packet for this size SSID (but it does for 31 or less characters) like they used to.

Older Intel drivers work fine, as well as adapters from Linksys,Trendnet, etc.

Not sure why you didn't get the logs, but I will try again. I did get the following email after submitting the SSU info and logs:

"Thanks for your reply. We can see this situation is handled on case 01769982. We'll update this case with this information and we'll close case 1771804 to avoid case duplication. If you have any questions or doubts don't hesitate to contact us."

Maybe the logs were deleted before you could check them?

I will run the SSU once more and try submitting the logs and scan data once more. I will post on here once I have run it again.

I also have the log file locally on my hard drive. If there is a place to email them I can send them to you.

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think I got it right this time. I was a bit confused about attaching the files last time.

ticket (01774362) is what the submission is associated with.

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank you very much. We are going to analyze the files and will advise as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank you for your time. We would like to inform you that we are checking about the situation reported and will advise soon. Please let us know if you have any more relevant information on this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

We were wondering if you could try the latest drivers provided by the computer manufacturers if these wireless adapters are the ones installed by factory and test the connection and see if you experience the same situation. Please, take into consideration that their latest driver version may differ from the ones found in our download center.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Aleki,

We originally started with the manufacturers latest drivers (Dell laptop). It was there that we first saw the problem, and then updated to the latest drivers from Intel.

Also, I am using the 8260 card on my desktop (via a mini PCI express to PCI express adapter card).

Again, if we go back to the 17.0.5.8 or 17.16.0.4 version driver (from Intel) on the 7260, it generates the probe requests as expected.

It stops working in the 18.x.x.x versions and later (the version 17.x.x.x drivers do not seem to be available for the 8260?).

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank you for the detailed information. We are going to check further this situation and will advise soon, but before we go any further, could you please let us know if besides the Linksys* e1000 AP there is any other? Did you have the opportunity to try with any other AP and/or router to see if the same thing happens?

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aleki,

Besides our proprietary hardware, no, I just tried it on the Linksys e1000 AP.

Since it seems like no probe request is generated in the case of a 32 character non-broadcast SSID, it should be a problem for all APs since this would be the first step in creating the connection.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Intel has just released the latest package version 19.10.0 for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. Please bear in mind that the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 supports only 64 bit versions of Windows®10. For your convenience, here is the link to it.https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26240 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

Please, use this one and let us know if it helped you resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aleki,

I downloaded it and installed it (driver ver 19.10.0.9), but am sorry to say I am still seeing the same behavior.

Just to be sure I ran a Wireshark capture, and sure enough I saw probe requests at 31 characters, but not at 32.

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank you for letting us know. We are going to engage additional resourced and will advise soon. In the mean time, please let us know if you any more relevant information to provide.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

We would like to inform you that we are investigating this and will advise as soon as we can. Please understand that it may take some time. In the mean time, please let us know if you have any updates.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

We would like to inform you that we have engaged additional resources in order to help you with this situation. Please, keep in mind that this may take some time. In the mean time, please feel free to ask any question or if you have any other piece of relevant information, please let us know.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aleki,

Nothing new to report on my end, but since it has been a few weeks I thought I might ask if there was any news?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Intel has just released a new driver package version 19.20.0 that contains a lot of fixes. Could you please be so kind and try this version? For your convenience here is the links for Windows®10 and Windows*7:

For the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26346/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26344/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7*

For the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26346/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26344/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7*

Please, let us know the results as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos