Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Centrino Pro-N 6205 wireless - connectivity issue

idata
Employee

I have a Wireless b/g/n network at home, provided by a TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND wireless Gigabit router in bridged mode with the AT&T supplied 2WIRE 2701HG-B DSL modem.

Every device connects perfectly EXCEPT two laptops that BOTH are running the Intel Centrino Pro-N 6205 wireless adapters. One is a new Lenovo X220 running Win XP 32 bit, and the other is a new Gateway laptop running WIn 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

BOTH of these Centrino adapter laptops go into an endless loop when trying to establish connectivity to the wireless router. The connect to the router at high-speed up to 300 Mbps, but are unable to establish the IP connection, and so then disconnect and retry....endlessly.

I am using the WPS2-Personal protocol, although also tried some other options, none with any luck.

Both work perfectly fine when connected via Ethernet cable. All other devices using other wireless adapters connect perfectly fine, without issues.

I have the latest Lenovo and Gateway wireless drivers installed. I also tried the latest native 6205 drivers from the Intel download site, but that did not work for either of them, either, so I switched back to the latest drivers from the laptop manufacturers.

THis is exceedingly frustrating.I have spent at least 30 hours trying to get these Centrino wireless adapters to connect.

I request support on this issue.

Thanks all,

OB

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello OldBaldy

Just to ask, have you also checked to see if your TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND router requires a firmare update?

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND downloads can be found here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR1043ND&version=V1# tbl_j http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR1043ND&version=V1# tbl_j

NOTE: This links is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. The latest one I see for this model on their support site is version "TL-WR1043ND_V1_120210", dated on 2/10/2012. For troubleshooting, we would recommend doing the following:
  1. Apply the firmware update if you have not done so, then clear all defaults.
  2. Under the Wireless menu, make sure it's broadcasting on "Wireless G mode only" (Options might be a little different, so taking a look at the User's Guide can help)
  3. Do not setup any security, just leave it as "Open"
  4. Try connecting to the router again. If the issue persists even on Wireless G mode, we would suggest contacting the computer manufacturer to check on the latest drivers available, as they usually have the best ones for OEM comfigurations.

If the connection was successfull and you were able to get the card connected, go to the router's settings and change the broadcast mode to "Mixed" where B/G/N should be applied. Leave the "Open" security, and try again. If all works fine, setup the wireless security to WPA2-PSK and AES encryption.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello OldBaldy

Just to ask, have you also checked to see if your TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND router requires a firmare update?

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND downloads can be found here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR1043ND&version=V1# tbl_j http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR1043ND&version=V1# tbl_j

NOTE: This links is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. The latest one I see for this model on their support site is version "TL-WR1043ND_V1_120210", dated on 2/10/2012. For troubleshooting, we would recommend doing the following:
  1. Apply the firmware update if you have not done so, then clear all defaults.
  2. Under the Wireless menu, make sure it's broadcasting on "Wireless G mode only" (Options might be a little different, so taking a look at the User's Guide can help)
  3. Do not setup any security, just leave it as "Open"
  4. Try connecting to the router again. If the issue persists even on Wireless G mode, we would suggest contacting the computer manufacturer to check on the latest drivers available, as they usually have the best ones for OEM comfigurations.

If the connection was successfull and you were able to get the card connected, go to the router's settings and change the broadcast mode to "Mixed" where B/G/N should be applied. Leave the "Open" security, and try again. If all works fine, setup the wireless security to WPA2-PSK and AES encryption.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the link to the new firmware version for the router. I'd updated the router firmware a week before the new release, and wasn;t aware of the new version. After updating the firmware with the latest version, the Centrino 6205 adapter laptops seem to be connecting, albeit at lower speeds than expected (105 Mbps instead of 300 Mbps) even with excellent signal and power turned up maximum on both router and client adapters.

Thanks again, I can live with this, even though the other laptop wireless adapters are faster than the Intel 6205 in my LAN.

OB

0 Kudos