Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Connectivity Issue IPv6 on Wireless

HKawa18
Beginner

I am using Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7265.

Diver version is 19.51.8.3

I cannot get an IPv6 address when I follow the steps below.

1: Connect to an SSID that can use both IPv4 and IPv6

2: Connect to SSID that can only use IPv4 network

3: Connect to an SSID that can use both IPv4 and IPv6

When it is 1, we can get an IPv6 address, but when we are 3, you cannot.

Upon packet capture, it was found that RA packet did not reach the NIC.

However, this phenomenon does not occur in NICs other than Intel.

Even if the RA's packet is received when Intel's Nic is 3, it looks like it is being discarded.

Excuse me, but is there any way to deal with it?

15 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello HKawa18, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the paperclip icon to attach the report to the thread. Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. Just to confirm, the steps that you take to reproduce the behavior are: Connect to an SSID that supports ipv4/ipv6, then disconnect and connect to an SSID that only supports ipv4, and then, connect again to the SSID that supports both ipv4/ipv6? Or do you mean that you cannot get an ipv6 address with more than 3 devices on the same SSID? Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. Do you get any error message when trying to get the ipv6 address with the system? If yes, can you provide a screenshot?  

4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

5. Is this behavior happening at home, office environment, or both? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
Davisalvi
Beginner

I'm having the same problem an downloaded and followed Sebatian's instructions. Now where will I send the This is an example of simple text. ile?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello HKawa18,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello HKawa18,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please feel free to post a new question.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

Hi Sebastian,

Surfing on google I found this thread.

I'm facing same issue with several intel wireless card:

- ax201

I have tested several drivers:

The fact is that only with intel wireless card I don't get always the global ipv6. For example after a suspension or hibernation of the laptop the device is connected to the network but can't take the global ipv6 so I can't surf on ipv6 network.

Same router but for example using Android or other wireless brand network cards, I always have ipv6.

When I don't take ipv6, disconnect or reconnect to the SSID doesn't help but to fix it I have to disable and re-enable ipv6 from windows Wi-Fi proprerties.

Moreover:

3. Do you get any error message when trying to get the ipv6 address with the system? If yes, can you provide a screenshot?  

No error is shown

4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

Original adapter installed in the laptop

5. Is this behavior happening at home, office environment, or both? 

Both

Regards.

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

Hi all,

any news about this?

it is frustrating for me.

Thank you a lot

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

I think our two topics might be related.

Mine is here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/IPv6-SLAAC-broken-on-AX200-w-recent-22-x-drivers-on-Windows-10/td-p/1246367

It is actually the IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration mechanism that is broken.

That said, I am switching to a new laptop with AX201 today, lets see if I have the same issue there.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

Update:

This is definitely reproducible on Intel WiFi NIC and Windows 10, various constellations of NIC and driver.

SLAAC and DHCPv6 are both both being affected due to the fact that both require router advertisements to be received.
The bug is, that the IPv6 multicast addrees the router advertisements are being sent to is not received.

In a pure SLAAC setup, you will not receive an IPv6 address -> no IPv6 connectivity

In a DHCPv6 address you will receive an adress but no default route -> no external IPv6 connectivity (only LAN)

Follow-up thread from my original one is this one:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/AX201-Stateless-Autoconfiguration-IPv6-not-working-reliably/m-p/1364020#M40716

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

I think is the same problem too.

You have just openet another one https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/AX201-Stateless-Autoconfiguration-IPv6-not-working-reliably/m-p/1364020#M40716

I opened one too some months https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Can-t-takel-always-IPv6-when-connect-to-a-router/m-p/1357260/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtaN01aTFNRSlE1U0NVfDEzNTcyNjB8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M40241

The suggestion? contact manufacturers xD.

Today I am able to reproduce the issue with several intel wireless cards from 8265,9560 to ax201. Tried all kind of drivers and different laptop manufacturers.

Same routers but different clients for example smartphones, all works fine.

It is very stressful also because with the latest drivers version 22.110 I'm facing some crashes of wireless card. on a 8265.

Next step? buy a killer wireless card or other brand.

KiPe
New Contributor I

Yes, exactly.

I have tested with a number of NIC and devices now. All work reliable.

This definitely is Intel specific, only happens with their NIC. Also, exact nature of the bug slightly differs depending on driver version.
So I would thinks this is a driver issue, not a HW issue.

It definitely is not system integrator (PC/Notebook vendor) and not Microsoft (what a pitty because they are a good wild guess when it comes to blaming also ;-).

Btw. - did you have the chance or have read a thread here in the forums if this ever happened on GNU/Linux?

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice
No I didn't read but for sure I can test on Linux. I should have a live pen drive with kali linux.

I will try and let you know the drivers version.

My question for you: did you try also with different routers? Because I'm trying to understand but with my tests it seems I can reproduce it more times on some router despite other.
The wireshark captures say that is a problem of wireless card that doesn't answer to the solicitation from the router.
0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

The issue does not seem to be reproduce reliably / easily.

Sometimes it happens a few times in a row for me. But today evening for example I have put the system into sleep / hybernate for at least 20 times without creating the error. Then it appears all of a sudden.

Also see my updates in:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/AX201-Stateless-Autoconfiguration-IPv6-not-working-reliably/m-p/1364020#M40716

There is the scenario in which i can recover, and one (even more rare) in which I need to reboot in order to regain IPv6 connectivity.

That said, I have been able to reproduce the issue on at least 3 different networks:

1) Aruba Core switches acting as L2 routers generating router announcements (Corporate environment)

2) Vodafone proprietary router (Home)

3) FritzBox Cable router (Home)

For your solicitation question. IPv6 SLAAC works like this:

- client that wants to set an IPv6 address on his interface generates a "router solicitation" ICMPv6

- router answers solicitation with an "router advertisement"

- client receives advertisement (which contains the prefix to use) and uses the information to generate its own IPv6 IP

The problem on my end seems to be: Router advertisements, which definitely exist in my network, are filtered/blocked/not received by the NIC.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

P.S.: Your perception that it is more easily reproduced on some routers may be explainable.

In fact, routers do not only generate router advertisements (RA) in response to router solicitations, but also periodically, unsolicited.

In environments that generate these advertisements more often (because the interval of unsolicitated advertisements varies / is configurable), the issue may be masked as long as you are in the error scenario that is recoverable.

Yet, even in environments with higher unsolicited RA generation, it should be visible that the IPv6 address on the interface is set with a certain delay. IPv6 should be set immediately though, with no delay, because of the active solicitation->advertisement mechanism.

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

I think this ticket is no longer followed.

Maybe is bettere update the other you created.

It is definitely a driver issue.

0 Kudos