Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7371 Discussions

Connector 1 and 2 on AC-8265

JWell2
Beginner

The AC-8265 NGFF wireless card has two U.FL connectors labeled "1 AUX" and "2 Main". What differentiates these two connectors? Also, I've read in a couple of places that the label is wrong, that is to say, it is reversed from what it actually should be. Is 1 actually Main and 2 actually Aux?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jaydubbb,

Here is the most relevant information we can provide about this topic:

The main difference between the antennas is that one is shared for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth* and the other one is dedicated to Wi-Fi connectivity. The numbering is correct, however, it may be different from previous wireless products. The antennas of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 are used as follows:

Antenna 1: Wi-Fi + BT

Antenna 2: Wi-Fi

It is important to mention that Intel® Wireless Adapters are meant to be integrated by Computer Manufacturers into their systems, and the OEM may add customizations. The http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support should be your first point of contact for support about the adapter.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JWell2
Beginner

Thanks for the speedy reply. I assume the two are meant to be used simulataneously with two antennas, correct?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaydubbb,

You are correct, both antennas are required for normal operation. Connecting only one normally results in low signal quality.

We strongly advise you to contact the Computer Manufacturer if you have additional questions about compatibility and integration support.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
SSanJ
Beginner

Hi,

Also have the same question.

Does this mean that on the Intel AC card connector 1 is the 2.4 ghz signal (wifi+BT) and connector 2 the 5 ghz signal??

This because Bluetooth transmit normally on the 2.4 ghz band.

For me this is very important coz of my antenna (IPEX MHF4) that has two wires with two different antenna's, one for 2.4 ghz and one for 5 ghz, already ruined one connector of the antenna by pushing too hard.

You need a microscoop to fit this connectors.

0 Kudos
JWell2
Beginner

Yes, I destroyed one card and one set of antenna's trying to install the stupid thing. Finally, I got this for $10 bucks. Otherwise I doubt I would have been able to install the device.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE1WEW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE1WEW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's supposedly used, but mine appeared brand new in every way.

0 Kudos
BForb
Beginner

jaydubbb,

I ran into the same problem trying to install a 8265 in a Dell Inspiron 7352. I broke off the connector on the white Antenna cable. That magnifying kit would be of great help but how did you actually fix the connection itself since you broke yours as well? Did you splice the cable, replace the whole back cover that includes the cables? Right now I only have the black cable connected and I get a fairly decent signal But I guess I would benefit from having both connected.

Thanks,

Brent

0 Kudos
JWell2
Beginner

I wound up buying another card, because the connecters got too banged up to use. I wound up buying two new sets of antenna cables, just to be sure. I placed the antenna cable connector onto the connector on the card, and then used a ruler to apply force (using just my finger was insufficient). When its connected right, there is a satisfying "click" sound that lets you know its in place.

0 Kudos
BForb
Beginner

Thank you jaydubb,

I'll have to probably go a slightly different route since my broken antenna cables are actually installed into the lid of the laptop. I may have to find some way to splice some new antenna cables to replace the damaged ones. I should have been a surgeon.

0 Kudos
SSanJ
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for point out to buy a headband magnifier.

Was lucky not destroying the card, used a magnifier but had one hand short.

Unbelievable that they can make such small connectors, for a normal person it is almost not possible to fit without damage.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please keep in mind that custom intregrations are not recommended/supported by Intel and you should check with the Computer Manufacturer Support before upgrading your system with an Intel® Wireless Adapter.

In regards to your question about the antennas, both antennas are used for the two Wi-Fi bands simultaneously to improve signal quality. You can check basic information about this feature in the following document: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005714.html Learn about Multiple-Input Multiple-Output.

For Bluetooth* it is different, as it uses only 1 of the antennas (shared).

We hope this helps to clarify your questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
SSanJ
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply about the antenna signals, it's clear for me now.

Never bought a complete system from a manufacture, for over 25 years building my own like many other people, not complaining about the card, it's just microscopic small regarding the connectors on the print, did not expect that when I bought it online.

Bought new antenna and satisfied with it, mounted it on an ASrock Deskmini 110 with Intel H110 chipset together with a Intel I5 processor and Intel M.2 SSD PCie card, so all Intel inside........

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SanJM,

Thank you for your confidence in our products. We are glad to be of assistance, and that you are satisfied with your wireless adapter.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JWell2
Beginner

I understand that M.2 WiFi cards are not a retail product and that Intel doesn't provide support for user installs. But motherboard manufacturers to provide dedicated M.2 slots for some desktop motherboards for a reason, and that is for them to be used. So they think it to be a reasonable peripheral to install. But Intel says that it basically can destroy your computer if you do so. It seems to me that the worst it could do is simply not work, so buyer beware. OK, fair enough. But how can an M.2 WiFi card possibly destroy a computer? Especially when the motherboard manufacturer, who doesn't want to take back a bunch of ruined motherboards, has designed the M/B to accept such a device? It's kind of like saying PCI WiFi adpaters shouldn't be installed either. I just don't get it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaydubbb,

Our recommendation in this scenario is to always check with the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support before upgrading your system with an Intel® Wireless Adapter. An incompatible wireless adapter probably won't destroy your computer; however, there are some issues that may arise as noted in the following advisories:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

We know that there are some OEM's that design their Laptops or Desktops with wireless adapter upgrades in mind, however, not all computers allow this and the user should confirm with the Computer Manufacturer before any integration.

At Intel, we are always glad to help and will provide assistance as much as possible, nevertheless, it is also our responsibility to inform our customers of any facts and information relevant for their case.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos