Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dell G5 15-5587, WiFi (AC 9560) drops, then connects itself

ABhar8
Beginner

I have this problem where wireless connection drops suddenly at least 2-3 times a day, and then after 1 minute it reconnects. But when I try to manually connect it within this 1 minute time frame, it never allows me to do. While other devices connected to this network works fine during this issue with Inspiron G5 15-5587. The network card is Intel Wireless AC-9560. I contacted Dell Customer support but they don't have any resolution. They mentioned may be this is a software issue and they have to update registry or install new Windows. But I am not sure how much this statement is valid.

I already uninstalled and re-installed wireless drivers, tried network flush commands, changed power saving Mode to Maximum Performance. I had this same issue with another Dell laptop, they changed network card even reinstalled Windows 10 but it was never resolved by their engineers.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Below is the error message I can see in event viewer,

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560

Interface GUID: {8ac0xxxx-xxxx-4xx4-xxxx-17c68xxxxxxx}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Profile Name: xxxxxxxx5

SSID: xxxxxxxx5

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating.

RSSI: 255

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig/Operational

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig

Date: 4/3/2019 9:15:00 PM

Event ID: 8002

Task Category: AcmConnection

Level: Error

Keywords: (536870912),(1024),(512)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP-xxxxxxx

Description:

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560

Interface GUID: {7527xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-d9ef3b41xxxx}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Profile Name: belkxxxxx

SSID: belkxxxxx

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating.

RSSI: 255

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig" Guid="{9580dxxx-03xx-46xx-98xx-d5xxxx52d6de}" />

<EventID>8002</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>24010</Task>

<Opcode>191</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000020000600</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-04-04T02:15:00.341513100Z" />

<EventRecordID>4751</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="3904" ThreadID="13844" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig/Operational</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-xxxxxxx</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-xx" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="InterfaceGuid">{7527xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-d9ef3b41xxxx}</Data>

<Data Name="InterfaceDescription">Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectionMode">Automatic connection with a profile</Data>

<Data Name="ProfileName">belkxxxxx</Data>

<Data Name="SSID">belkxxxxx</Data>

<Data Name="BSSType">Infrastructure</Data>

<Data Name="FailureReason">The driver disconnected while associating.</Data>

<Data Name="ReasonCode">229378</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectionId">0x8</Data>

<Data Name="RSSI">255</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8 , Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system: Is this a new computer? Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? Was it working fine before? The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer? When did the issue start? Does the problem happen at home or work environment? We recommend to install the wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. Even though you mentioned that you already re-install the drivers we can always try a clean installation of the wireless driver provided by Dell: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html I looked in Dell's web site and the latest Intel® wireless driver available is version 20.50.0.8334, A02, please test that driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=dd83d&oscode=wt64a&productcode=g-series-15-5587-laptop If the problem persists after installing the driver, then we can test the Intel® generic wireless driver version 20.120.1: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28623/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99446 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ABhar8
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for responding.

Is this a new computer? - Yes

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? - No, I didn't make any changes.

Was it working fine before? - I started observing this issue after 15 days of receiving this laptop from dell.com. but I ignored it for such a long.

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer? - It came installed in the computer.

When did the issue start? - March 3, 2019

Does the problem happen at home or work environment? - I keep this laptop at home only

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8 , You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing those details. Did you test the drivers provided previously? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ABhar8
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Till now, laptop had 20.50.0 version of driver. Now, I upgraded to 20.120.1. I am monitoring the system and will respond if I will encounter wifi drop again. Please suggest other options as well, in case this driver upgrade doesn't work.

0 Kudos
ABhar8
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Till now, laptop had 20.50.0 version of driver. Now, I upgraded to 20.120.1. I am monitoring the system and will respond if I will encounter wifi drop again. Please suggest other options as well, in case this driver upgrade doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates. At this point, the best thing to do will be to wait to confirm if the problem persists or if it gets resolved. Once you get the chance, please let us know the results so we can further assist you. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ABhar8
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

The issue is not yet resolved. Today, I updated driver to recent 21.0 version but I am still facing wifi drop issue.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello ABhar8, Thank you for your response. Please follow these steps and let me know if the WiFi continues dropping: 1 - Check if the AP/router is running the latest firmware. 2 - Check for sources of interference (other wireless devices). 3 - Run the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) wireless driver. 4 - Change the Preferred Band to 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz for testing purposes. If using 5 GHz band, try using channels 36, 40, 44, or 48. We recommend testing 5 GHz if the AP/router also supports the 5 GHz frequency band. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8, I just wanted to check if you followed the steps provided previously and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ABhar8
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

I tried above mentioned steps by David but I am still having same issue. Not sure now if it is related to operating system or wireless adapter or wireless router.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates, we are sorry to hear the issue persists. In this case, we can also test the Intel® recommended settings for the wireless connection: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html And the Intel® recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Do you have the option to test the laptop with a different router? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8, I just wanted to check if you need further assistance with this scenario? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ABhar8, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos