Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dell inspiron 15-7577 gaming laptop wireless drivers won't install after fresh windows 10 install

phank
Beginner

I used a the dell OS recovery tool (that i got here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/win) and pressed f12 at the boot menu when trying to start up my laptop, then went to troubleshoot and reinstalled windows 10 from a USB.

Now i had no wireless drivers and many other drivers weren't installed.

I also can't get internet by just plugging in an Ethernet cable for some reason even though it says the Ethernet driver is installed.

So i tried to download the driver installations individually and put them all on a flash drive and then put the flash drive in the inspiron 7577.

I got the drivers from dell's support site and used the service tag.

All of them seem to have installed successfully except for the wireless one.

I get the error : This software package cannot be installed on your system

I attached an installation log file to this post if that's useful at all.

I saw someone posted this similar issue in this thread

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XSXSA2/trouble-installing-or-downgrading-wireless-driver-error-the-software-package-cannot-be-installed-on-your-system?language=en_US

I followed the instructions in there and successfully downloaded the latest version of the generic drivers. But I still can't connect to wifi and nothing related to wifi shows up in my device manager. Basically nothing happened. am I supposed to do something else after i install it?

let me know if you need any other information.

If i could just get either ethernet or wifi on this thing maybe dell SupportAssist or some other driver assistant software can do the rest, but i can't get this thing to connect to the internet at all right now =(

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello phank, Try using a USB to Ethernet adapter to update Windows*. You may run into this issue if Windows* is outdated. Then, you can run the tool provided by your system manufacturer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
phank
Beginner

Ohhh an adapter could give me a connection even though the computer's not getting one from it's own Ethernet port?

I never thought about that.

I ordered one off amazon since it was cheap, and will let you know in a few days. That would be really awesome if it works!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello phank, Thank you for your response. We will be glad to help you if you have any further questions. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
phank
Beginner

okay so the Ethernet adapter came in and i reinstalled windows again for about the 12th time now. But this time i had ethernet (the adapter worked) and i updated windows as soon as i could, then i opened dell support assist and updated my drivers that way. the ones that showed up from the scan installed successfully but nothing related to wireless drivers shows up in my device manager still. I still get the error "This software package cannot be installed on your system" when trying to manually download it after i updated windows and my other drivers. So i downloaded the generic drivers again and they installed successfully, and nothing happened. I'm still not sure if i'm supposed to do something after it says it's installed or if something is just supposed to appear in my device manager after i restart my computer. No matter what i do I just can't get that to happen. I downloaded intel driver and support assistant too, and it scanned and showed many things but no wifi drivers will come up. just bluetooth and ethernet stuff?

I don't get why every other network adapter shows up right after i install windows and update stuff but the wifi one doesn't

I'm starting to think my network card just somehow randomly broke but i don't get how that could happen because my wifi was perfect before i reinstalled windows and i didn't recently drop my computer or anything...

I wasn't having any issues with the laptop, i only reset it in the first place because i wanted to give it away as a gift.

And just in case anyone is curious, I'm 100% sure i'm not on airplane mode, and i did check in the services to see if WLAN auto config is running, and it is. It's startup type is set to automatic.

I think maybe i must be doing something in the wrong order...?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello phank, Thank you for your response. To continue troubleshooting this issue, please try the following steps: Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html For Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Version: 20.100.0 (Latest) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28358/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Also, we have seen this behavior in laptops whose wireless adapter has been replaced/upgraded. Have you replaced/upgraded the wireless adapter? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
phank
Beginner

The issue is fixed! Thanks for the help.

It turns out the issue was as simple as going to my bios by pressing f2 on startup and enabling WLAN...

I'm not sure why it would be disabled by default on a fresh windows install. So i wasn't expecting something like that to be an issue. But at least it's finally fixed. Thanks again.

and just to answer your question anyway, in case it helps you troubleshoot future issues, no i didn't replace or upgrade my adapter recently.

I got the solution from this page, maybe it will help others: https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/fix-wireless-adapter-not-showing-up-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista-computer.html

0 Kudos