Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Disable AC7265 when wired

GThom12
Beginner

On an Acer travelmate P249 running on Win 7 Pro, how can I configure the PC such that the wifi adapter is disabled when wired ethernet is connected.

This is usually in the bios or the adapter properties - does not seem to be the case with this adapter

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CymruBoy,

As you mentioned, you can configure the system to disable WiFi when a wired connection is used, the main place to set this up is in the BIOS of the motherboard, if it is available.

In Windows* 7, Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software has Adapter Switching that lets you implement this as well. Please check the following document for details about Adapter Switching and how it works:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005972.html Learn How to Use Adapter Switching with Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
GThom12
Beginner

Thanks for that .... but I do not have the administrator tool available to me in the intel program ( Ver 19.1.0.0)

Neither is the BIOS allowing me to change it.

0 Kudos
PNovo1
New Contributor I

Apart from BIOS, you can easily turn off your card in Windows' Device Manager: open it, locate the card in "Network Adapters" section, right-click it and choose "Disable" in the menu.

0 Kudos
GThom12
Beginner

Windows device manager is not an option as the point of the exercise is to prevent non administrator users using wifi whilst connected to the domain and not allow them to override it

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CymruBoy,

The Intel® PROSet/Wireless Administrator Tool is not installed by default. When you install PROSet you need to customize the installation and make sure you select the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Enterprise Software.

Then you will be able to create custom packages and set adapter switching.

For you reference, you can check this advisory to locate different versions of the IT Administrator packages and installers:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000017246.html IT Administrator Links for Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
GThom12
Beginner

Many Thanks for the re-direct - Problem solved !!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CymruBoy,

We are glad to know the issue was solved with our recommendations. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos