Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SSyno
Novice

Drivers for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Card?

Jump to solution

Just put a new system together and installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in it. Used Windows 8 Pro. x64. I cannot find drivers for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Anyone know where I can get drivers for this card? I purchased the card from Provantage.

0 Kudos
183 Replies
JBurw
Beginner

Hrm. With the Sager drivers, I had a lot of trouble with 5ghz, lots of variability in packet RTT, and packet loss. At 2.4ghz it was better, but still not very reliable. It'd disconnect a lot, and the connection would just stop transferring packets until I did a disconnect/reconnect.

I threw the 6205N back into it after a few days of putting up with it. Maybe I'll give these 16.1.1.13 drivers a try.

tvete
Valued Contributor II

plainv70 wrote:

7260 with 16.1.1.13. drivers syncs at 500-867 Mb/s, depending on the distance from the router, and transfers small files at about 230-240 Mb/s.

I think it's a very good throughput for a 2 x 2 MIMO Wireless-AC . Is it higher than the Sager's or just the same?

PShu1
Beginner

To be more specific. The d/l rates I posted are from speedtest.net mini on my NAS and win7 explorer--and obviously dependent on the conditions/set up. All I can find about the former is https://support.speedtest.net/entries/20862782-How-does-the-test-itself-work-How-is-the-result-calcu... How does the test itself work? How is the result calculated? : Speedtest.net . I do not know if this pertains to the mini version or the online (paid) version. Speedtest.net mini is dependent on the browser cache and reports faster speeds as it is repeated.

Intel 16.1.1.13, all numbers are megabits/sec

Copying a 300MB file from my laptop (in the kitchen--two walls and some ductwork away from the router, ASUS RT-ac66r) to the NAS:

1) 5Ghz, sync 300-500 Mb/s; up to 240Mb/s (speedtest mini), 120-136 Mb/s (win 7)

2) 2.4Ghz, sync 144 Mb/s, 40-55 Mb/s (speedtest), about 48-56 Mb/s (win7).

Next to the router:

1) 5Ghz, sync 800+ Mb/s; 200 to 350Mb/s (speedtest mini), 200 Mb/s (win 7)

2) 2.4Ghz, sync 144 Mb/s, 70-80 Mb/s (speedtest), about 80 Mb/s.

Hardwired to the router, 1Ghz connection, CAT5e cable to router & NAS.

350-550 Mb/s Speedtest, 600 Mb/s (win7)

Xn0r: I don't seem to have any stability problems or packet loss. How are you measuring this, what is your physical set-up? Latency is generally good, l.t. 1-2ms with a few pings over 100 infrequently--I guess that has a.lot to do with what else the router is doing wirelessly.

tvete
Valued Contributor II

Awesome results . I'd say I've reached my router's limit so I'll probably get a faster dual band N router in the future, but I don't want to retire my current router since it has proven itself to have rock stable connection even with literally 30 routers/access points in range according to inssider. I haven't even power cycled the router for years. The only time I did was when I upgraded the firmware. I still never had a connection drop since my 7260 N upgrade .
PShu1
Beginner

Even though the list says the drivers are for Centrino line up, it fully works with the Intel 7260 series!

Theveterans: thanks for the link. As noted, Intel does not state that this is for the 7260, but an examination of the INF file shows the 7260 is there--and, of course, it works.

Suggest waiting for a deal on a newer AC router, one with a dual-core (or better?) processor.

PShu1
Beginner

Xn0r: I don't have any hard information to back this up, but I don't think there is a significant difference between the any of the v16.1 drivers when it comes to win7. I've tried the Sager and the v16.1.1.13 and both seem to be fine w/my T510. I think my router & firmware are the weak point. As time goes by, I hope that ASUS sorts it out--newer products from ASUS and the others will undoubtedly be better.

BFerc1
Beginner

Installed the New 16.1.1.3 drivers yesterday. Today after 4 hours all solid even Bluetooth. Took 3:50 to download from wired server to laptop a 7.71 GB (8,281,915,392 bytes) file.

DMylr
Beginner

Installed 16.1.1.3 this morning on Windows 8 x64. Had problems with previous "official" Intel drivers causing BT signal to just drop. I have been trying to get a BT mouse (tried multiple, different BT mice) to work for more than 15 minutes. All of the sudden, the mouse would just stop working. I reverted to the Intel 6235 and BT was working fine.

Today, the 16.1.1.3 looked promising with comments here stating BT was working. BUT, within a few minutes of using the new drivers with a 7260AC adapter, the mouse stopped working after a few minutes. If I go into Windows 8 devices (choose show/add BT devices from the systray icon) sometimes the mouse will start working again but not always.

The only thing I have done with regards to the driver settings was to set the 2.4Ghz bandwidth to AUTO (instead of 20Mhz). Would that interfere with BT? I put it back to 20Mhz and will see. What about the BT AMP setting? I'm just using mice, so I could disable that if anyone thinks that setting could be causing issues.

BT shouldn't be this hard!

AGran5
Beginner

I have two R6300 routers from Netgear. So far so good. The intel wifi card is working well. I want to try the newest drives but running win 8.1

anyway to overcome the OS check? The MS compatibility option will not work

BFerc1
Beginner

After many days of losing 5g and random blue-tooth disconnects. I un-installed / deleted the latest drivers and Intel utility. I then rebooted and the pc recognized the Ac 7260 I then manually picked the driver from the win 7 folder /64. I am back on 16.1.0.14 and seems to be very stable so far.

BFerc1
Beginner

Back using 16.1.1.3 and all is good.
tvete
Valued Contributor II

theveterans veteran wrote:

I think I'm having a driver issue with the Intel Dual Band

Wireless-N 7260. The driver version is 16.1.0.14 which is the only driver for

Windows 7 at the moment. Frequently, but not all the time, when I click on the

Windows 7 access point list, I get all of the 2.4 GHz band right away, but the

5 GHz band takes 5 - 10 seconds to appear on the list. Are you guys having this

problem? So far, no speed or drop issues with the 2.4 GHz band. My router is

only 2.4 GHz so I can't test the stability at 5 GHz.

See this link for the picture: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/9379658261_1a76c2dd97_o_d.jpg http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/9379658261_1a76c2dd97_o_d.jpg

Ever since I updated to 16.1.1.3, I haven't had this problem now. My connection is far more stable too at 2.4 GHz band despite 30 access points/routers in range. I'm sticking to this version for Windows 7 even if newer version comes unless I found problems with this one.

JBurw
Beginner

Question is, do you (or anyone) get good AC connections?

I have the 7260-AC card and a AC access point.

Anyone try these drivers and get an .11AC connection (not just an .11N connection)?

BFerc1
Beginner
DBoul1
Novice

I have a great connection. I live in a multiunit building where everyone's router walks over everyone else's. My router is an Apple Airport AC. I was having problems with Bluetooth disconnects (not router related), but haven't seen that problem in a few days. I don't know if it's because new drivers fixed the problem or if I've just been lucky. I'm not happy with the delayed release of the drivers. Nor am I happy with the idea that Intel will sell this product to resellers, but bock at any idea that they should support it. I am, however, ecstatic that I don't have to plug in my laptop to run backups. Backups can now be run from any room in my home. Before it took hours using wifi. Now it's done in less than an hour sometimes without me noticing that the process has run.

JBurw
Beginner

Yay. It works!

I put the 7260AC back into the laptop and I'm getting much better speeds than my old 6205. Around 350-500mbits/s to my AC router.

Stable so far (about an hour). Hopefully it'll stay that way.

wface
Beginner

FYI for the Linux users here. Both the wireless and bluetooth firmware are now in the firmware-iwlfiwi package. It shouldn't be much longer until compiling kernel from source becomes unnecessary.

CNee
Beginner

I'm having the same exact problem with bluetooth but except with a keyboard instead of a mouse. It disconnects every few minutes and it takes a while to reconnect. It's pretty annoying .

Does anyone have a solution to this?

ROwen2
New Contributor I

I cannot connect to bluetooth devices at all in Windows 7. In Linux I can connect to my phone, and do nothing, and windows I cannot connect or detect anything. I got a bluetooth mouse just for my laptop, it seems I wasted my money.

And now in Device manager, a USB device is listed as not working.

ROwen2
New Contributor I

But it is so much fun to compile from source!!!