Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Band 7265 wi-fi card - LATENCY 1000 x worst than a standard 200£ laptop with standard wifi card...

BZabi
Beginner

I just purchased a Lenovo with dual band ac 7265 wifi card - what a nightmare I was disappointed on Microsoft what they did with surface book but I can see Intel isn't better at all.

I tried all steps - starting from router and ending on wi fi adapter settings etc..

I wasted a 3 days doing that

I installed all drivers under windows 8 and windows 10.

Together with ever installation I tried all possible settings of a wi-fi adapter ....

Waste of life - only one thing I noticed drivers got a small influence on latency -

- range of this card is very bad but even if I'm sitting next to my router and I have a full range on 5 GHZ or 2.4 GHZ I still get random drop of latency I cant play a simple LoL game cause of that - horrible

- I got a HP laptop as well with a standard 2.4 GHZ card - and he doesn't have any latency issue !!!

I don't want to waste all my life to fix a issue for card with is released for so long -

COULD any one please tell me if there is a chance to replace this card with killer card or any decent you know -

In case it it possible - could you give me a detailed name of the card and ill go and buy it ?

Thank You very much

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello VeniVidiVici,

We understand you have an issue related to latency when playing games online. Please do the following:

1. Make sure you are running the latest drivers provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). You can find the contact information here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites

2. As a second option, you can try the latest drivers found in our download center by clicking here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25603/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 - File Name: Wireless_18.30.0_Proset_64.exe.

3. Download and save the drivers above.

4. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

5. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

6. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

7. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Then, do the following:

1. Right click your wireless Icon, bottom left of Winows®10 taskbar (or 7, 8, 8.1)

2. Select "Open Network and Sharing Center"

3. Select "Change adapter settings", found on the left.

4. Right click your wireless connection and select "Properities" (ensure you are doing this on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and not Ethernet or a different wireless adapter if you have more than one).

5. Select "Configure"

6. Select the "Advanced" tab and change these settings from the defualt to the ones I indicated

- Select the 802.11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz conenctions to 20mhz ONLY (Defualt is Auto)

- Change Prefered Band to 2.4Ghz (Defualt is Auto)

- Change Roaming Agressiveness 1. Lowest (Defualt is 3. Medium)

- Change the Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Defualt is 802.11a/b/g)

The first and last steps are MOST IMPORATNT. The first step, changing connections to 20mhz only stoped giving me "limited connetions" as this forces the antena to penatrate through walls. The last is what seems to have compleatly eliminated the ping spikes. It seems that Windows®10 was causing my connection to the router to defualt to the 802.11a standard which is slower and less reliable. Setting wireless mode to just b/g forced the card to only connect using the faster speeds. Setting it to just 'g' ensures the very fastest speed avaliable on 2.4Ghz routers with this card, however this will limit the compatibility when connecting to other routers that may be older. Either 'b/g' or just 'g' seem to have both elimiated ping spikes. I suggest to choose 'b/g' to allwow you to connect to diffrent conenctions, however, just 'g' seems to have worked fine with my home network.

Finally, to eliminate any issues from Windows®10 itself, make sure to disable P2P updates in your Wi-Fi settings. If available go to settings and disable Game DVR. Open Wi-Fi settings and disable auto connecting to wireless hotspots. And finally, if you are not using any Bluetooth* devices, turn off Bluetooth* in Windows®10 settings so the wireless card has less interference to deal with.

These steps resolved the latency issue I was having while playing a game. I've played a couple games with this fix and have not noticed the spikes like before.

*Now, regarding changing your wireless adapter, we recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer first as they are the only ones entitled to provide a list of approved adapters that are compatible with the type of system you have. Check this link for further reference: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005600.html Intel Wireless Drivers, Software, and Installation for Network and I O

0 Kudos
jlawr3
Novice

How many more weeks/months have to pass before you guys come up with a viable solution for this garbage wireless adapter? Many of us bought machines without ethernet based on the advertised reliability of your dual band wireless adapters. I can't speak for everyone here but i personally spent a small fortune on my ultrabook and this has been the biggest disappointment.

I read review after review before purchasing and all that anyone talked about was intels skylake processor which makes me wonder if intel and pc manufactures pay these guys. How could they not have experienced these connection issues?

If you think I'm going to attach a USB WiFi dongle/extender/adapter/tether/duct taped coat hanger to this thing your stuck in 1998. You wouldn't put a cassette player in a tesla would you?

The amount of threads on various support forums including intels regarding this issue is staggering. I thought i was inconvenienced, schools, businesses etc bought dozens if not hundreds of machines with this adapter installed and the best advice you can give these institutional clients is uninstall/reinstall? That's like my company's IT guy asking if i restarted my desktop when tell him it's taking too long to boot!? If you can't adequately service these institutions what chance do individuals like myself have at recurving an immediate fix!?

I'm over it. HPs, Asuss(Asuss', Asus'ss...?), Lenovos and Intels support can go to "D-ell". You guys should seriously reconsider the word "support" in your job title. How in the hell is HPs warranty dept going to tell me they haven't heard of any issues relating to intels wireless adapter? I'm going to pull this adapter out like tom hanks pulled that cavity in cast away. And unless you want to me send me the 2015 ac-8260, 3165 or tri blend 17265 im going with your # 1 competitor. And when my new wireless adapter is finally clocking speeds that your bs product brief claims im going to screen shot it and copy/paste the crap out of it and let the world know the $20 piece of garbage you put in my ferrari ultrabook is just that!

And please for the love of God, do not reply with advanced adapter settings like change power sleep mode, fat channel intolerant, HT mode or your classic go-to...uAPSD. Unless you have a VIABLE SOLUTION don't say anything. I'll take that as "we sell bad products for a profit" and go about my business.

I feel better already

0 Kudos