Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Dual Band AC 7260 causes Problem in N Network

mbrun4
Beginner

Hi,

I've got some problems with the DualBand AC 7260 adapter in my T440p and hope that someone here is able to help:

1. Network connection repeatedly is breaking down after some time > "default gateway not found"

>> After reseting the connection everything works fine unitl the next breakdown.

Any Ideas? Maybe related to the network mode?

2. Device Manager / AC7260 / Advanced Settings only shows following options:

802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802,11b/g, 802.11a/g, 802.11a/b/g

>> Shouldn't there be an "ac" option?

>> What about 802.11n support? Is "ac" n-compatible?

System:

- Lenovo T440p, Win 7 x64

- DualBand AC 7260, Driver 16.6.0.8, HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B2&SUBSYS_C2708086

- AP: TCom w722v, Mode: 802.11b+g+n

thanks in advance,

bg tc

0 Kudos
20 Replies
SAnto2
Novice

1. Network connection repeatedly is breaking down after some time > "default gateway not found"

>> After reseting the connection everything works fine unitl the next breakdown.

Any Ideas? Maybe related to the network mode?

Made a thread about this (/thread/48349 https://communities.intel.com/thread/48349 its horrible........ I can't believe that Intel isn't fixing this as I said its there crappy drivers something is up.. my niece has a Broadcom Wifi card and it works fine something is up.... I have the same problem as you.. there is no resolution I no of that works the only thing I've been doing is using an Ethernet connection and not wireless.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry for your issue.

Is this issue happening when you connect at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

You may want to check if the router's firmware is update, as well as its wireless and security (encryption) settings.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm Wireless Networking; How do I improve my 802.11n wireless performance?

Regarding your second question, the options you see in the Advanced tab are normal; there is a discussion about this topic in the following thread:

0 Kudos
mbrun4
Beginner

I tried two different routers, both sending at 2.4GHz (as the network is also used by older devices)...

0 Kudos
ARose6
Novice

Same problem here. After some minutes, usually half an hour or more, the internet is disconnected and Windows fixes the problem saying the default gateway was not found. Router is FRITZ!Box 7490 with Fritz!OS 06.05 Firmware, same with a Telekom Router W920V. Same problem with FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 300E, running FRITZ!OS 06.04. I also tried different channels: Channel 1, 6, 11, 13 - does not help.

It is really annoying. I wish I could change my laptop's network card, but it's not so easy. Please fix that, Intel!

If you need any more information, I'll help where I can.

I have the Intel Wireless-N 7260 (no AC), running on Windows 7 64bit with Intel drivers from 19.07.2013, Version 16.1.1.3

Hardware-IDs in Windows says this here in the top line:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B2&SUBSYS_42628086&REV_73

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

You need to update your drivers to 16.10.0. Intel has done many fixes with every driver release and it eliminates most problems people used to have though it's not perfect. I used to have problems with the WiFi but with 16.8.0.6, all of my problems were fixed!

0 Kudos
JS12
Beginner

I have the exact same problem as the OP and TimRonald. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga S1 with Intel AC 7260. I live in Japan and have an NEC WR8700N wireless router (with latest firmware) and all the devices here at home (desktop with Broadcom wireless built into Asus motherboard, Fujitsu notebook with Qualcomm Atheros wireless, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Ipod touch) work perfectly with it and suffer from no disconnections at all. Only my Lenovo with the Intel card suffers from disconnections with the default gateway not being found. I've played around with my router settings and what's unstable are:

- 802.11N 5.2ghz 300mbps

- 802.11N 5.2ghz 150mbps

- 802.11N 2.4ghz 300mbps

What's stable are:

- 802.11N 2.4ghz 150mbps

- 802.11G 2.4ghz 54mbps

- All of the above when HT mode is set to dsabled (which reduces the speed to 54mbps)

The drivers I've tried so far are: 16.0, 16.1, 16.5, 16.6, 16.8 (Dell and Intel), and the latest, 16.10. I've experimented with power settings (as well as disabling discover.exe/deleting EMC Storage Connector which was preinstalled in my Lenovo notebook), but to no avail. I remember having a similar problem with an old Alienware M14X which had the Intel 6205 card in it, before I sold it. So I hope that Intel comes out with a newer driver than 16.10 really soon because I don't want to keep my Lenovo crippled in wireless speed forever. And I'm not really in the mood to spend more cash on a new router with the possibility the my Intel wireless card will still suffer from disconnects.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

WiFi is complicated since mine works perfectly at both bands, regardless of channel width with 16.8.0.6 Dell drivers without changing the default settings whatsoever. It might be that recent Windows updates or manufacturer's proprietary drivers and software have somehow conflicted with WiFi N but I'm just speculating. I used to have speed problems with 7260 N WiFi (never had disconnections though) but since 3 months ago it has been working like it should in the first place. I've been connected to WiFi with my laptop for 9 1/2 days and counting and it has never given me problems at all since the dell drivers and January 2014 windows updates were released.

0 Kudos
JS12
Beginner

Well, unfortunately I am still experiencing the same 'default gateway is not available' (with windows diagnose 'reset the wifi adapter' fixing it) internet disconnections with the latest intel 17.0.x driver. It happens around every 30 minutes to a couple of hours. Yeah, wifi is complicated, and my router might be a cause, but I wonder why it is still just my intel card experiencing this and not my other devices with non-intel wireless.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

jei13 wrote:

Well, unfortunately I am still experiencing the same 'default gateway is not available' (with windows diagnose 'reset the wifi adapter' fixing it) internet disconnections with the latest intel 17.0.x driver. It happens around every 30 minutes to a couple of hours. Yeah, wifi is complicated, and my router might be a cause, but I wonder why it is still just my intel card experiencing this and not my other devices with non-intel wireless.

Maybe it's just that your Intel card is defective (most unlikely) or some combination of drivers (not just the proset drivers), OS and hardware configuration. I have a cheap $25 Netgear router with 4 android phones, 1 wireless printer and 4 laptops (mine with 3 other laptops with Broadcom and Ralink WiFi) connected all time. All of my devices work properly and my laptop with Intel 7260N connects fine indefinitely and it's still running perfect after 13 days and counting of uninterrupted WiFi. If you have Windows 7, try to setup a dual boot and see if WiFi is fixed with 7. These WiFi problems started to increase a lot with 8 and 8.1 and Intel's Windows 7 drivers seems better than the 8 and 8.1 versions.

0 Kudos
ARose6
Novice

I've now tried Wireless_16.10.0_Ds64.exe (that's the drivers only version for Windows 7 64bit) since March 22nd 2014 and it has worked like a charm since.

I've successfully downloaded Gigabytes, connected to various Routers and AccessPoints and never had a single interruption since. Drivers are in default state (HT Modus not deactivated, just everything default).

Driver date says 28.01.2014

Driver Version says 16.10.0.5

So if anyone still has any disconnection issues ("default gateway is not available"), maybe try out this driver version. Maybe you can still find it on the Intel Website, else I have uploaded it here splitted in 2 files.

I won't update drivers now.. Never change a running system.

@ theveterans Thanks for the tip. In the past, driver updates were not successful, but this was a good one.

edit: typo

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you TimRonald!

It is also possible to get different driver versions from the link below. It is just necessary to make sure it applies to the wireless adapter.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software; Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034315.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software driver versions by operating system

For the ones who are still having connectivity issues: We would like to know if you get events with the IDs 5007 and 5055 in the Windows* Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) at the time the issue occurs. Kindly share the details from those events if available.

0 Kudos
MThom22
Beginner

Hello Joe, I am still experiencing errors with the AC7260 card in my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga after installing the 17.0.0 driver. Laptop is running Windows 8.1 64-bit. SIU Ref: 0248 4339. Router is Netgear WNDR3700 w/ firmware version V1.0.7.98NA.

Symptoms are similar to what others have reported on this an related threads:

• wireless networking works for some period of time after reboot/shutdown or disabling/enabling wireless adapter
  • after some time (varies, though typically 30 min or so for me), network comes to a crawl.
  • other devices on the network are affected at the same time.
  • as soon as the AC7260 is disabled, other devices on the network start working normally

I checked the event viewer and did not see either 5007 or 5055

Happy to provide any additional info that would be helpful.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Definitely something is interfering with the drivers on your laptop. I get ZERO issues (can keep connected indefinitely, no ping spikes, 180 Mbps throughput on the N connection) with 7260 on N and AC routers. I believe Intel's drivers isn't the cause of the issue since it doesn't happen to everyone who has this WiFi. In fact, it's probably less than 1% of laptops sold with 7260 that has your issue. To clear these driver conflicts with your installed software, do a dual boot system and test and see if the cleaned installed partition will give any WiFi problems. I clean installed my laptop when I first got it to avoid these glitches.

0 Kudos
TJame3
Beginner

All, not sure if this is going to help but found a fix specifically for the Lenovo Yoga S1 on another forum so thought I would share.

It is a bit of a weird solution and an indictment on Lenovo but believe me it worked for me after lots of frustration. It turns out that Lenovo has bundled some rogue software which has a significant impact on wireless performance. In task manager look for a process called "Discovery.exe". End this process and voila, wireless works and is stable.

The offending software is Lenovo EMC Storage Connector. Remove this in Add/Remove programs.

Hope this helps, certainly should on the S1

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Disable UAPSD in driver options !

0 Kudos
ZSzek
Beginner

Hi,

I had the same issue with two laptops with this card: initially with an ASUS ROG, later with a Lenovo Y50-70. I registered to this forum to tell about my experience.

A few weeks ago I purchased an ASUS ROG notebook with Intel 7620 AC WIFI card. Everything was perfect with the nodebook, expect the WIFI connection - which was extremely unstable, independent from the distance to the router. I used Windows 10 and tried both the driver from the ASUS website and the one from Intel's (newest). None of them worked. The I read all information I could from forums, including several topics here, lenovo, asus, dell and toshiba forums. The only solution I could find was to fall back to "g" mode - which was unacceptable for me. So, I decided to return it to the seller.

After a while, I bought another notebook, a Lenovo Y50-70. It was quite a surprise to find the same WIFI chip in it, the Intel 7620 AC one. I decided to try Windows 8.1 because Lenovo packaged the drivers for that OS with the notebook. No luck, the disconnects happened often. I tried Intel's newest driver as well, no luck.

I was close to return this one as well to the shop, but I decided to try one more thing out: change my Western Digital N600 router to a TP Link Archer C5 (AC) one. And magic: the WIFI worked perfectly with Windows 8.1 and latest drivers. Now I use Windows 10 and latest drivers, and WIFI never disconnects!

I need to mention that all my former devices worked perfectly with my old router: my old notebook, a PC, an LG G3, LG G Pad 7, a HTC and Samsung Galaxy S 5 phone. It is difficult to say why this WIFI chip does not work with it. But it looks like it is the case.

And why I have chosen the TP Link Archer C5 (v2.0)? Because it has a Broadcom chip in it and I found some articles telling that Broadcom chips are the best from a compatibility point of view.

So, my advice to all who get this message is to try a different router and see what happens. I hope that Intel will also investigate this issue as it is clear that the chip is incompatible with some routers.

0 Kudos
KSand71
Novice

That's right Zolta, this is a well described issue and bug with this WIC from Intel. I'm not sure why there are tens of threads on this and various people proposing absolutely wrong fixes. This is a firmware or driver issue on the device.

0 Kudos
BMalg
Beginner

Hi

I had exactly the same thing (last week issues with my Yoga Pro 2 with Intel Proset Wireless and a Fritzbox 7490) and after a couple of installs and deinstalls of versions of drivers I finally simple used the Intel Wifi Connection Utillity and selected Extra/Reset Proset - In my languague its something like this - and now it works a whole day like a charm...

PS: I have driver 17.15.0.5 of the adapter and the latest driver in my Fritzbox (something like 6.30)

So maybe that helps you and others as well

Good luck with it.

==================

correction. It took a half day and now its disconnected again.....

0 Kudos
User1578223853515383

Got the info from this forum:

The problem is the newer Intel drivers, as many have pointed out.

Now to those remaining, take the steps that intel techs pointed out months ago, which involves:

* removing all intel network software from your 'add/remove applications"

* rolling back your driver version. This is done by going uninstall driver in device manager and choosing 'also remove software' tick box.

* Rescan again so it shows again, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, till you get sick of repeating!

* Use CCleaner and clean your registry of any shit leftover, use windows disk cleanup etc. (good practise)

* Rescan till nothing shows, restart, repeat.. (now they didn't tell you about this repeating! hehe)

* Most of those who are onto it, won't have to repeat so much, but if you have been stuffing around trying to fix this, then there is a lot of rubbish to clean.

* Reboot

* It will reinstall it, check the version, is it the MS version? We are looking for version: 17.15.0.5 or simular 17x version.

Now you check your wifi, and it should be mint.

Now to stop Windows Update reinstalling the shitest driver from intel again, you can google this:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drivers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ806NZ806&oq=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drive&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10325j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

To anyone still having disconnect issues with the ac-7260 module, please try falling back on the driver version. Doing so has worked for many, including myself.

You can get drivers from Microsoft (Update catalog) here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ac-7260 Try drivers prior to 18.33.x.x.

If it works for you, please leave a comment here so others will know.

0 Kudos