Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 adapter connectivity issues

Robyn
Novice

I have a simple peer to peer network.  One desktop acts as a file server.  Router - Wifi or Ethernet switch.

Problem is a laptop with the AC 3165 adapter. 

Initially, this laptop would not find other computers or printers on the network while on wifi, but worked fine when connected via ethernet.  Resolution was to delete the device (running driver version 19.51.30.1), then reinstall which reset driver to version 19.51.21.1, and now the computer and its shares are available.

It continues to not be able to access a network printer.  It will not ping the printer's static IP address.  Unless I plug in to ethernet, then it is fine.  Only on wifi.  Every other computer, whether ethernet or wifi, is able to ping, install, and print to the printer.

I disabled the AC 3165 adapter and connected via a USB wireless adapter.  It works perfectly fine.  So I tried looking through advanced settings but am getting lost due to the extreme differences in available options on the two different wireless adapters.

Any suggestions for possibilities to try are welcome.  And yes, I have completely ruled out firewall, advanced sharing settings, permissions, etc.  Problem is fully isolated to this adapter.  I'm just not sure what to try next.  Oh, and this printer problem existed when the more recent driver was installed too.  The (usb) adapter that works on this laptop to reach the computer is a Linksys AE2500, in case that offers any clues.

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robyn
Novice

Well, Amazon tried to deliver yesterday after close of business, never mind that I specified it was a business address and what the business hours are.  So it did not arrive until late this morning, and I have just finished reassembling the laptop.  I bought an Intel AC 9260, booted up Windows, and everything works exactly as it should with the driver Windows defaulted to upon startup.  No problem accessing the network shares.  No problem connecting to the printer.  Everything works as it is supposed to without any complicated steps needed.  Imagine that!  Magic, perhaps?  Hah.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Robyn,

The forum members will need more information to work through the problem and find a solution. What type of wireless router or access point are you using? What bands on the wireless are you using?

As for the printer, are you saying the printer is stand-alone and working as a wireless printer? Or is the printer connected to a PC, and then you are sharing the printer from the PC? If the printer is working as a wireless unit, what type of printer and what band is it connected on?

On the laptop that is having all the issues, please provide information on the make and model, and what OS and revision the laptop is using.

0 Kudos
Robyn
Novice

Router is a TP-Link Archer C80.  What bands, I don't know.  There don't appear to be any settings, but here is the manufacture site with the router description.  https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c80/  

The printer is connected via ethernet and has a static ip address.  When it is available to any computer, it can be pinged, is searchable as a device, and when installed shows as an available printer.  Other computers with wireless access to the network can reach this printer.  All computers with ethernet access to the network can reach this printer.

The laptop with the built-in wireless is a Dell Inspiron 15-3567 running Windows 10 Pro version 20H2.  The built in adapter "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165" is the only one with the problem connecting to the printer's IP address.  The ethernet adapter "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" has no problem with this printer.  A USB wifi adapter "Linksys AE2500" plugged into this laptop (with the AC3165 disabled) has no problem with this printer.

This is why I believe that it is specific to this adapter, either settings or driver.  I rolled back the driver as described in original post, and that solved 1 problem (accessing network shared folders) but this problem with the printer exists in both versions of the driver.  I don't believe the problem is with printer settings, since printer is ethernet and since other wifi adapters - therefore the wifi from the router - work perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Robyn,

You don't indicate what band and model printer you have. That information will be useful in researching what issues might exist with network connectivity.

I believe something is wrong in the manner in which the OS understand how to communicate to the printer. What I would suggest is to completely remove the printer from the laptop. Once the laptop has no knowledge of the printer, then Settings, Devices, and on the right column choose Devices and printers. That should open a new window. From there choose Add a printer, and see if the network printer is listed. You should be able to find the printer, or manually add the printer using its IP address.

0 Kudos
Robyn
Novice

The printer model really doesn't matter, since it is a static IP that is shared to everyone on the network and it will not ping. One of the first things I did was completely remove and reinstall the printer.  Though it cannot find it over wifi, so while I can input the IP address and browse to the specific driver, it still does not work unless the ethernet is connected instead.

BUT the printer is now of secondary concern, as the previous problem of a lack of ability to connect to anything on the network except the internet has returned.  I tried downloading the latest driver direct from Intel but it has had no effect. 

I do not know what band.  It chooses automatically between 2.4 and 5GHz (if you are referring to frequency) and the SSID is not separate, but linked.  There is nothing to indicate which one it is using.  The adapter is certified 802.11ac but again, nothing tells me which it has chosen to use as this is another automatic selection.

Due to the short period where the connection to network shared folders was working when the driver was changed, but it has now stopped working without any change to the driver, and another change to the driver did not fix the problem, I have decided that the adapter is inexpensive enough to try replacing it.  My thinking is that if the function changed without any driver or setting changes of any kind, then the adapter is likely to be malfunctioning.

Still open to other ideas or suggestions, but will be unable to test/confirm for a few days until new card arrives and is installed (because laptop is disassembled).

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Robyn,

If the change of the suspected defective adapter to a direct replacement does not resolve the problem, please report back. There are other things to look at and to try. But since it sometimes works and other times does not, this is diagnosing an intermittent problem. Those are some of the most difficult to resolve.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

One thing you can try is doing a clean install of the driver. This ensures a full reset of the associated parameters. Here is the process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30326 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30279.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3165. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3165 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Robyn
Novice

Thank you for your response.  I got very close to this already, but I did not install any bluetooth drivers (except what may have installed automatically), and definitely did not do a couple of the optional steps you have listed.  When I have the laptop reassembled, I will reference these steps.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Robyn,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Can you please confirm whether or not you were able to reassemble the computer and test the new adapter?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Robyn
Novice

Delivery of the new adapter is scheduled for tomorrow.  I'll update tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Robyn,

Thank you for your response.

Sounds great we will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Robyn
Novice

Well, Amazon tried to deliver yesterday after close of business, never mind that I specified it was a business address and what the business hours are.  So it did not arrive until late this morning, and I have just finished reassembling the laptop.  I bought an Intel AC 9260, booted up Windows, and everything works exactly as it should with the driver Windows defaulted to upon startup.  No problem accessing the network shares.  No problem connecting to the printer.  Everything works as it is supposed to without any complicated steps needed.  Imagine that!  Magic, perhaps?  Hah.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Robyn,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are glad to know you found a solution with the adapter's replacement. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, you are more than welcome to submit a new question just remember that this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos