Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 constantly drops connection and sticks to one AP

LKeld
Beginner

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 constantly drops connection and sticks to one AP

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Fujitsu Lifebook T725

Windows 7 Pro with all service packs and updates

What I have tried so far:

Installed the latest drivers

configured the adapter settings

Turned off 5G

Turned off IPV6/Turned back on IPV6

(HT Mode: VHT / HT / Disabled, all tested. | Preffer 2,4Ghz, use 20 Mhz, Roaming to low to med to highest, Transmit power (tried all settings)

U-APSD Support on Disabled/Enabled

802.11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz connections to 20MHz ONLY (Defualt is Auto)

Preferred Band 2.4Ghz (Defualt is Auto)

Roaming Aggressiveness 1. Lowest (Defualt is 3. Medium)

Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Defualt is 802.11a/b/g)

Turn off Wireless Zero Configuration

Disabled Bluetooth

Reset WinSock

Slamming my head against the wall

turning my antivirus off.

turning the firewall off.

Updating the Chipset drivers

Restarting the laptop of course

Updated the firmware on the wireless

Contacted Fujitsu, updated bios and all drivers/firmware and software

Fujitsu replaced the wireless cards

EnGenius replaced all the APs and their Engineers have reconfigured all the access points to use the best channels, and transmit power. We are using 2.4 only

Set the Wireless adapter power settings to maximum performance when plugged in and on battery. Sleep is set to never. Checkmark was taken off to allow windows to shut down device to save power.

Cards also have the same issues in other computers at the same and other locations I have Cisco clean air APs at another office and 8 different computers have the same issues

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello LeslieK,

As we understand, your systems using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 are having connectivity issues and the issue persists after multiple troubleshooting steps. Please let us know the following information:

- Let us know if the issue is with Roaming capabilities, or also when roaming is not involved.

- Do you use Enterprise Security and authentication (802.1X, Radius, etc.)?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create then Save a report with all sections, then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting XML file to your post. We can get logs for 1 or 2 systems connected to the network.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
LKeld
Beginner

the issue is with Roaming capabilities. It is very sticky to an AP and does not like to roam. The drivers had to backed down to the ones you see in the config to realize any stability. All other driver versions caused constant disconnects every few minutes or so. We do not use a Radius Server, but use WPA2 with AES.

with Roaming capabilities. It is very sticky to an AP and does not like to roam. The drivers had to backed down to the ones you see in the config to realize any stability. All other driver versions caused constant disconnects every few minutes or so. We do not use a Radius Server.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

12/16/2016

00:00:48.3749798

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics+5500" />

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LeslieK,

Please follow these steps to perform a clean installation of the wireless driver before we can consider other options:

1. Download the latest driver from your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, as second option, you can use the generic version for https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26467/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=83635 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows* 7 [19.20.3]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Set the Advanced driver settings as you had them to improve 802.11n compatibility:

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz= 20 MHz only

HT Mode= HT Mode

If the issues persist, please check the following:

- Do you use Intel PROset enterprise features to configure your wireless profile?

If you do not, please try creating a custom wireless profile, using the following document as reference:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000007174.html Creating and Managing Wi-Fi Network Profiles with Intel® PROSet/Wireless Enterprise Software

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
LKeld
Beginner

I tried your recommendations. I uninstalled Intel wireless, removed the card and deleted the drivers, rebooted, installed the wireless as you recommended and connected to the network via the intel wireless application. The wireless became unstable and started dropping all the time. It is more stable when windows manages the wireless. I was, however, able to see the dbm values at each access point as viewed by the wireless card and it listed them between -39 and -59, Even at -77dbm it stuck to an access point.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LeslieK,

In this case, we recommend you to use the "Drivers only" package (does not include PROset software). The process is very similar to the one used for the regular clean driver installation:

1. Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins, 19.20.3. Windows 7* 64-bit: Wireless_19.20.3_Driver64_Win7.zip

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26469

2. Extract the contents of the zip file to a known location in your hard drive.

3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software". When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

4. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

5. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

7. Go to Device Manager and locate the 7265 (it may be an unknown device), select the option to install the driver and browse to the location where you extracted the driver files.

If the issue persists, please let us know, so we can inform of any following actions.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LeslieK,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you.

Has your issue already been resolved? If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LKeld
Beginner

This was my original fix, but I tried it again to be sure. All the laptops are still dropping the connection even if directly under an access point. I turned off each access point and tested each with the same results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LeslieK,

Please check your private inbox.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
bignewm
Beginner

Sorry to necro this thread but was there any solution found to resolve this issue? I have a number of devices across our school district that are exhibiting this same behavior and they have this wifi card currently in them. I have been through similar pains to resolve this issue without any success. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
MWuyt
Novice

We've had the same issue with the 7265.

We've tested with the 7260. Much better roaming.

We're now on v19.51 and is fairly ok for the 7265, but the 7260 roams much better.

We set the the roaming aggressiveness to 5. highest.

We only used BG rates as our wifi backbone is also used by very old wifi client equipment.