Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Discovers But Won't Pair

KEvan3
Beginner

This is on a Lenovo Thinkpad P70 with Windows 10 64-bit. It is just over a year old and just out of warranty. I have not previously used Bluetooth on this device, and would now like to attach a Bluetooth 3.0 keyboard.

In the Device Manager Bluetooth was originally hidden and the drivers said "Currently this device is not connected". I uninstalled these, deleting the software, and installed BT_20.10.0_64_Win10.exe (Verion 20.10.0.9). The drivers then said "This device is working properly".

It appears to work, but fails to connect to any Bluetooth devices I have tried. It does discover the devices and show them as available. (See the image). They just don't pair. The same devices pair and work fine with my Galaxy S7 phone and Microsoft Surface Book.

I also tried BT_19.71.0_64_Win10.exe (Version 19.71.0.2) with the same results. I tried the download from the Lenovo site, which is for 19.71.0.2). It appears to run successfully, but the drivers have light blue icons, say "Currently this device is not connected", and you have to select Show hidden to see them. (This was how the Device Manager looked when I started.) Thus, this Lenovo driver update doesn't seem to work.

The BIOS is the latest and Windows is up to date with Creator's Fall Edition.

The Intel drivers both appear to work, but don't pair. I'm not sure what to do next.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ken,

Not the result we were hoping for, but thanks for the update all the same.

Everything seems to point to an OS level problem. At this point it might be worth revisiting the idea of reinstalling the operating system, either from a https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home clean image or using the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options recovery options.

However, you could also try running the DISM commands to see if that utility is able to locate and fix the problem (heads up, these take a while to run).

- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image How to use DISM command-line utility to repair a Windows® 10 image

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KEvan3
Beginner

Carlos,

Reinstalling the OS and my applications would be over a weeks work. I have done this previously and it has never solved the problem. Not worth it to have a Bluetooth keyboard.

The computer runs fine apart from this problem.

I have already run sfc / scannow and it found no problems for dism (or itself) to fix.

One explanation is that Lenovo has done some OEM thing. Unfortunately their update is broken. I have cleaned out the file store so it won't load an old driver if it fails and may see what happens if I run the update again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ken,

Don't worry, I definitely understand how much of a hassle reinstalling the operating system can be. Mostly because of what comes after reinstalling.

Please give the DISM commands a shot and let us know if they help.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos