Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and AC-8265 resetting

KMD
Beginner

Hello.

I work in a school and we have hundreds of Intel AC-8265 and

8260's, on Windows 10 Enterprise laptops, with various driver versions, resetting themselves a couple of times everyday. They are in Lenovo Yoga x260, x370 and x380's. We also have a Dell Latitude 7370, Windows 10 Pro v.1709, with the same card. They all experience the same issue. We have about a dozen Lenovo Yoga 11e laptops with the Intel AC-9260, and they do not experience the resetting.

On one of my test laptops, I performed a clean install of

Windows 10 1809, removed the old driver and removed the Proset software, updated the driver and the card still resets. It seems to be when there is peak network activity.

Please find the attached msinfo.txt and ssu reports of the laptop with the clean Windows 10 Ent. install.

Thank you

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to consider the Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages as being a set. Try this: with Internet access disabled, uninstall the existing Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages, reboot, and then install the latest packages (Bluetooth before Wireless).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
KMD
Beginner

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve my issue. The laptop on which I applied the latest BT and WLan drivers still reset itself, along with the many others that didn't update the drivers. It seems to be when classes first begin. Surge of traffic?

I ran wireshark on a laptop, and it showed nothing out of the ordinary prior to the card resetting.

In the event viewer of the machines, just prior to resetting, it shows a 7021 - Connection telemetry fields and analysis usage. Then it stops working and throws an Error 5002- Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly. And then an Error 5000- Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : Has encountered a conflict in resources and could not load. Only on the 8265 and 8260's. Can't wrap my head around it.

I really appreciate your assistance.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I just noticed that you are said you were running 1709. Try upgrading to 1809 before installing the driver packages. This will tell us if the issue is dependent on the Windows version.

As you might conclude, I am grasping at straws here. If this doesn't work, then Intel Customer Support is going to need to step in and take this to the driver experts.

...S

0 Kudos
KMD
Beginner

Hi ...S

I did a clean install with Windows 10 Ent. 1809, last week and the machine has the problem. Originally, I installed Proset with driver version 20.70.x . Uninstalled them and applied only the driver. Still problematic.

Thing is, I have a few hundred with the 8260 and 8265 in them and they just started acting like this, two weeks ago. Some of these machines have been active for 2.5 years. Not all go down every single day, but a lot do. There just isn't a pattern here. Windows 8 and 10 with different driver versions.

I just realized that a machine that I re-installed the driver onto, did not actually install version 20.120.0.3. It remains at 20.70. x.

I'll do another clean install in the morning and install v.20.120.0.3 BT and WLan drivers only, no Proset.

My Aerohive AP's do have a high re-transmit with the clients, but not sure how that would trigger a reset. In the Event Viewer, every now and then, it'll say the WLan driver initialed a reset. Go figure!

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Do you allow your machines to be automatically updated via Windows Update? If so, then there might have been an update that triggered this problem appearing.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that the problem is not in the adapters at all; it could instead be the Wireless routers that they are connecting to. Some also automatically get updated.

One thing you need to remember: You have Wireless packages that you are installing. Each package has a unique version number. Version numbers are updated (incremented) whenever something changes and a new version of the package is being released. Now, this package includes support for a significant number of devices. Each of these devices has a unique driver and this driver has its own unique version number. These driver version numbers change only when that particular driver actually needs to be changed. As a result, you could see a number of packages being released that include the exact same version of a particular device's driver. In this case, it just happens that another driver needed a change and the overall package was updated to include this change. Bottom line, you need to do your comparison not using driver version numbers but using package version numbers. Oh, and do not get the two confused; it's easy to do 😉

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
pthom5
Beginner

Why is the Windows event logging for the adapter so inadequate that intel is reduce to speculating about the source of the resets?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not Intel.

0 Kudos
KMD
Beginner

...S

I've been trying a few things, and nothing makes sense.

I wiped a laptop, installed Windows 10 Ent. 1809, no updates, just Windows and just the Intel AC-8265 drivers, no bloatware. The machine resets the wireless nic, like the others.

Strangely, Friday, no one had the issue. Monday they only reset once and today they reset twice. The total amount of wireless users were nearly the same all three days.

I'm at a loss. I haven't reached out to Intel, yet. I wanted to get some feedback from the freshly installed laptop.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How long does it take to recover from the reset? Is it just a few seconds or something significant?

0 Kudos
KMD
Beginner

On some, the recovery is a few seconds, others need to restart the laptop.

It seems that when we exceed 300 users at the beginning of class, the wLan cards disconnect.

I no longer think that it is the cards that are the fault here. It's just not making sense that with all of these various versions of drivers and slightly different model cards, that most would experience the same issue at the same exact time.

So, if traffic was spiking at these times, and there is client to AP interference, would the wLan card stop working and Windows trigger the driver to initiate a reset of the card?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello KMD, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Were you able to check Scott's post? Let me know if you need any more assistance so I can assist you with this. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
KMD
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The maximum number of PCs on a subnet is 254. I hope you are already using multiple subnets...

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello KMD, Thank you for your response. I have sent you an e-mail to gather some information necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos