Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 Does Not Reboot

jeff1234
Novice

I have a 2 year old Dell 9365 with a Dual Band Wireless AC 8265.  After a reboot it quickly connects to my wifi.  Our other computers, phones, tablets connect faster but none have any difficulties until the 9365 sleeps.  Upon awakening, it sees my wifi but cannot connect unless I reboot.  This is not a new problem but I am finally fed up with having to reboot it after every sleep.  

My driver is up to date.  

I am running ExpressVPN and MacFee livesafe.  

If I cannot fix this problem, is it possible to replace the 8265 with another card?  Would that likely help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeff1234
Novice
Hello Sebastian;

1.  see attached

2.  I do not use Bluetooth often, as far as I know the problem is only with wifi.

3.  Everything on my computer is original including the adapter.

4.   Since I bought this computer in August 2018 it has always had difficulty in re-connecting.  The first connection after rebooting is fine.  If the computer goes to sleep or otherwise disconnects it usually will not reconnect until I reboot.  I have tinkered with it, updating the driver and changing some settings but I have not made any changes to the system and the problem remains unchanged.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jeff1234, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can have more information about your system, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Are you having issues with just Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or both? 

3. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

4. Were you able to have you wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? If yes, did you make any changes before the issue started?  

In regards to changing the wireless adapter, we can't ensure if this problem is at software or hardware level yet, however; in case you want to change the wireless adapter in your system, you need to check with Dell for the compatibility.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
jeff1234
Novice
Hello Sebastian;

1.  see attached

2.  I do not use Bluetooth often, as far as I know the problem is only with wifi.

3.  Everything on my computer is original including the adapter.

4.   Since I bought this computer in August 2018 it has always had difficulty in re-connecting.  The first connection after rebooting is fine.  If the computer goes to sleep or otherwise disconnects it usually will not reconnect until I reboot.  I have tinkered with it, updating the driver and changing some settings but I have not made any changes to the system and the problem remains unchanged.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jeff1234,  

Thank you for your reply, please check our recommendations below: 

1. Based on Dell's website, there is a newer update for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for your system, can you try to update the driver for that version? Download link

2. Change Power Management Settings:

• Press Windows logo key and X key together and choose Device Manager. 
  • Expand Network Adapters, right-click the adapter, click Properties
  • Click on Power Management tab and check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box, then click OK

3. For testing purposes, try the different power options available on Windows*, follow these instructions

• Maximum Performance: Wireless adapter will optimize performance over power saving. 
  • Low-Power Saving/Medium Power Saving: Wireless adapter will balance between performance and power saving. 
  • Maximum Power Saving: Wireless adapter will optimize power saving over performance. 

4. I also noticed that you are not using the latest Operating System (OS) version, try updating it following Microsoft's guidance

5. In case that does not work, try a clean installation of Wireless Drivers provided by Intel:  

Step 1: Download and save the latest Wi-Fi Driver from the Intel® Wireless support. on your computer: 

Step 2: Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver. 

1. Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver. 

1. Go to Device Manager
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category. 
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device
  5. Repeat steps A through D until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out. 

2. Restart your computer. 

Step 3: Driver installation. 

Locate the drivers you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. To Run as administrator right click over the file you downloaded and select the option to Run as administrator.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
jeff1234
Novice

Thank you very much Sebastian.

After 2 years of sufferring with this problem and countless attempts to fix it, your suggestions suceeded.

I've updated the drivers many times, but this time the Dell Support Assistant found 9 drivers out of date.  When they were updated the issue was resolved.

Again thanks for your help and especially your very complete answers.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jeff1234,  

Thanks for the update.  

I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved, based on that; we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

If possible, please select the actual post with the suggestion that worked as a solution. I tried doing it but as there is a post already chosen I am unable to do so, if you can change it would be great! 

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos