Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Serial Port Bluetooth profile

pettair
Beginner

Hi all,

Im using the AC8265 wireless module on my Nvidia Jetson Nano. My goal would be to send data from a remote sensor wirelessly using a HC-06 Serial->Bluetooth module on the sensor side and the Bluetooth controller on the AC8265.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert with Bluetooth (so forgive me if not using the proper terminology), but I found the following while I was trying to make the connection work.

First I verified that the HC-06 in fact able to send data over Bluetooth using my computer and it was working fine, when I paired and connected to it, the HC-06 the connection showed up as a serial tty device under /dev and data was received trough it.

When I tried to connect on the Jetson Nano using 'bluetoothctl' the pairing was successful but when I tried to connect to it I always encountered errors (and not too much description :D). Now I think this the connection is failing since there is no common "Bluetooth profile" which supported by both ends. If I list the AC8265 info on the Jetson Nano I get this:

$ bluetoothctl
[NEW] Controller 04:56:E5:73:B5:26 falcon-dcd-a70b5555 [default]
[NEW] Device 20:16:03:25:49:35 HC-06
[NEW] Device 00:18:DB:01:3B:F1 Serial Adaptor
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# show
Controller 04:56:E5:73:B5:26 (public)
	Name: falcon-dcd-a70b5555
	Alias: falcon-dcd-a70b5555
	Class: 0x00000000
	Powered: yes
	Discoverable: no
	Pairable: yes
	UUID: Headset AG                (00001112-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: Headset                   (00001108-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: Generic Attribute Profile (00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: PnP Information           (00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: Generic Access Profile    (00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	Modalias: usb:v1D6Bp0246d0530
	Discovering: no

And when I print the info about the HC-06 I get this:

[bluetooth]# info 20:16:03:25:49:35
Device 20:16:03:25:49:35 (public)
	Name: HC-06
	Alias: HC-06
	Class: 0x00001f00
	Paired: yes
	Trusted: yes
	Blocked: no
	Connected: no
	LegacyPairing: no
	UUID: Serial Port               (00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

So as I see the HC-06 is only supporting the 'Serial Port' "profile" with UUID '00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb' but thats not supported by the AC8265 module.

So I would like to ask if someone could verify that this is the cause, and also I would like to know if anyone has an idea if there is any way how I can setup a data connection between the two ends? Maybe there is setting where I can extend the supported profiles? Or is that hardware limitation?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

pettair, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was the Bluetooth data transmission/connection working fine before on this same machine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
pettair
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Here are my answers:

Is this a new computer?

- it is not a new computer its a NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit 

When did you purchase it?

- somewhere in the spring or so (is exact date needed I can look up somewhere)

Was the Bluetooth data transmission/connection working fine before on this same machine?

- I was never able to use  'Serial Port' profile with UUID '00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb'

When did the issue start?

- it was never working

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

- no

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

- separately

Which Windows* version are you using?

- its running Ubuntu 18.04

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

- it was not working regardless of the environments

Unfortunately I was not able to run the SSU report since it is an exe.

Bests,

Peter

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi pettair, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In the following link, you will find the SSU utility for Linux. Please run the tool, save the information on your computer, the file looks like a notepad file and then attach it to this thread so we can further assist you:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
pettair
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the late response. Im attaching the output file.

Bests,

Peter

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi pettair, No problem at all, thank you very much for sharing the SSU report.

WiFi troubleshooting steps

Step 1: Check whether the kernel version customer uses supports this device:

The reference table of Wireless adapters and corresponding kernel versions is available by the link: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi

The latest FWs are available by the following link:​ ​https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/

If the kernel version corresponds to the Wireless adapter, proceed with step 2.

Step 2: Check whether the Wireless adapter is connected correctly:

Type the following command to the terminal: # lspci​ 

Verify that the Intel network controller ​is identified, as on a picture below. If not, then the system doesn't identify the Intel network adapter and you will need to make sure it's properly integrated. You may need to request help from the system manufacturer. If the wireless adapter is properly identified - proceed with the step 3.

Alberto_R_Intel_0-1640037574861.png

Step 3: Check whether this is an iwlwifi issue:

Type the following command to the terminal: # modinfo iwlwifi​ (example of the command output is on the picture below). If there is no output, then the module isn’t installed this is the distribution installation issue.

Alberto_R_Intel_1-1640037606375.png

Please type: # lsmod | grep iwlwifi​   

Alberto_R_Intel_2-1640037632894.png

If the result is empty, the driver hasn't been loaded. Most likely to be a distribution issue.

To verify, please type: # dmesg | grep iwlwifi​   

Alberto_R_Intel_3-1640037656335.png

If the result is empty, the driver wasn’t initialized and this is a distribution issue. If the result is populated as on the above picture, proceeed with the step 4.

Step 4: Check whether the suitable firmware is installed:

Please type: # dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!”​

Alberto_R_Intel_4-1640037679874.jpeg

If the result is not empty, it means you don't have a suitable FW (api mentioned in the dmesg).

Please visit here​ h​ttps://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi for supported FW, or here​ ​https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/ for the latest versions.

If these steps didn't reveal the issue or didn't solve the problem, proceed with the Step 5: 

Step 5: Collect the debug data:

Please type: # dmesg | grep ASSERT​ 

If the output is empty, please follow this wiki: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging to extract dmesg and trace-cmd.

If the output has value, please collect from the wiki FW dump too.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello pettair, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello pettair, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter. As an option, you can always visit the Intel Wi-Fi Linux community page as well for further assistance on this matter:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos