Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Dual band wireless-ac 3160

BenW
Beginner

Hi

I am having a very strange issue, I have a laptop which I have just installed win 10 Pro 64bit on.  The device appears in device manager but says the Device can't start.

The laptop previously had Linux on it with no wifi issues and if I boot a live usb stick of Linux it works fine.

It shows with the Intel driver from 29 04 19, I don't have a power managment option..

Interestingly the Bluetooth device shows up in network adapters as does ether net but not the wifi adapter.

Thoughts or suggestions 

Ben

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @BenW

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 the original wireless card that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the laptop?

2- Do you see any specific error code on Device Manager regarding the error message? For instance Code 10 Error? Could you please provide a screenshot showing Device Manager and the errors?

3- Are you having issues with WiFi only or also with Bluetooth (both)?

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the Intel® SSU report to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BenW
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel 

Thanks for coming back to me, i have replied with an attachment containing the files requested.

To answer the questions

1.  It's the integrated device on my laptop.  I haven't changed it.

2.  I get code 10, which seems to be generic.  I have included some screenshots of the device manager and an event log containing some additional detail in the email.

3.  Bluetooth seems fine, its wifi that's not working.  Also wifi is only not working in windows, if I boot the machine to linux its fine.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @BenW

Thank you very much for all the information provided.

We would like to recommend the following steps to see if this helps to solve this issue. In order to discard driver or Windows® update issues, you may try the following steps. Proceed to the first step, and if the issue persists, continue to the next one and so on:

1- Install all available Windows Updates.

2- Perform a Clean Installation of the Wireless driver. Clean installation of the wireless driver is a troubleshooting step recommended to remove any previous installation files that might cause conflicts with new driver installations. During the clean installation please also make sure to remove any entry of "Intel ® PROSet/Wireless Software" from Windows® App & Features.

We recommend installing first the drivers provided by your computer manufacturer (OEM).

We checked the website for your laptop but couldn't find any direct link to manual driver downloads and it seems a ticket is needed for software support. Please refer to the following link. Is this your laptop? Entroware* Orion laptops. We recommend checking with your OEM* for the latest drivers available for your system.

If the issue persists, you can try again the clean install and use the latest generic drivers from Intel®:

3- Reset Network Settings in Windows 10.

1. Select the Start menu and type Network
  2. In Windows Settings, select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left navigation pane, select Status to make sure you're viewing the network status window
  4. Click the Network Reset link and review the Network Reset information message. 
  5. Select Yes in the network reset confirmation window.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
BenW
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

1.  I am fully up todate with windows update.

2.  I have done this, thats how I have the driver I currently do.

The reseller of the laptop doesnt provide windows drivers (they dont provide drivers at all as under linux the wifi just works.)

According to the link for 22.20.0 it doesnt contain drivers for the 3160, following the link takes me back to the same place.

3.  I'll give the network a reset.

0 Kudos
BenW
Beginner

Network reset made no difference unfortunately, the wifi adapter still comes up in display manager with an unable to start.  This has been consistent since I installed windows a few days ago and I have reinstalled windows.

I'm going to try another clean install of the driver.

Ben

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @BenW

Thank you for your response and for the feedback provided. We understand that after trying the steps the issue persists, but you will try one more time the clean install of the driver. Please feel free to post back any details regarding the outcome of that step.

Note:

We double-checked the link details and since the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is now EOL (End of Life), there is no further driver update planned for these products. The latest driver package is 21.10.1 and the Driver version is 18.33.17.1. For the clean install process, please use this driver which you can download from the following link:

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
BenW
Beginner

Hi Andrew

I tried again last night with a clean install and it made no difference, I also tried a fresh install as I had a new hard drive arrive.    The wireless network didn't show up during install, and when I booted into windows the same problem occurred device cannot be started.  With the driver initially installed by windows and with the driver applied during windows update.

Ben

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello BenW

Thank you for your response and for the details regarding the outcome of the steps. Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @BenW

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, this issue seems to be related to a faulty hardware component, or it may require something from the computer manufacturer (OEM), like firmware update, BIOS, or customized OEM driver. Therefore, our recommendation is to check this further with your OEM for a physical inspection and possible replacement.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. We will leave the thread open in case other users want to participate, but if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos