Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Enabling WOWLAN on 4965AGN

jcart10
Novice

Hi, I have an Alienware M9750 with an Intel 4965AGN wireless card. I want to use WOWLAN, but under the Power Management tab in the properties window for the card, "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grayed out and under the Advanced tab, there is no Wake-Up Capabilities option. I thought WOWLAN was supported on this card. I know that the newest driver removed support for it, and I'm not sure why, but I tried a few other earlier drivers with no luck. Any ideas? Thank you.

6 Replies
idata
Employee

It was decided to remove WOWLAN support in the new SW generation.

0 Kudos
jcart10
Novice

I understand that support was removed in later drivers. Thats why I am wondering if there are earlier drivers that have support for it... And are you sure you are talking about the same card I am; it is not a new card. I got the laptop 3 years ago.

idata
Employee

Yes. I am talking about the same card 4965 adapter. As mentioned above. WoWLAN is not a supported feature in the newer software releases across all adapters. If you want this feature you might want to roll back to old 12.4.x releases if still available.

0 Kudos
jcart10
Novice

I've already tried earlier drivers including some 12.4.x.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you tried 12.4.0 release and the feature is not working then:

1) You need to be connected to Legacy A/G AP in order for the feature to work. WoWLAN won't function if you are connected to 11n AP.

2) Your machine has to support this feature. Sometimes there is an option to enable/disable this feature in the bios. you might want to check that.

3) if the feature is still not working then most probably your machine doesn't support it.

0 Kudos
jcart10
Novice

Could you explain Legacy A/G vs 11n? I have wolan enabled in bios and had it enable through my ethernet connection. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos