Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Hello, my first posting here. In the last several weeks I have been getting numerous (often over 100 per day) Microsoft System Event ID 17 notifications (PCI Express Root Port corrected hardware errors). Internet research points to the Intel WLAN card.

GRoss14
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Desktop 510S PC running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.778). My WLAN card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165. Both Windows and Intel show my installed driver (Version 21.80.0.4 dated 30 Jan 2020) as being current! Recently had a couple of BSOD's upon PC reboot after "hanging" PC shutdowns where logs showed hundreds of the Event 17's prior to final shutdown.

Any idea on correcting this PC problem?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your system configuration.

• Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

• When did this issue start to happen? OS or driver update?
  • Did Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 come with the computer?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner

Hi Wanner G,

Thank you for responding.

This issue started several weeks ago - I didn't notice the hundreds of WHEA-Logger Event 17's occurring until I happened to research my system event logs

after I noticed that my PC was "hanging" while trying to shut down (and a BSOD the next time I tried to reboot it). It rebooted to the logon screen only after I did a force shutdown by holding down the power button.

BTW, the last few shut-downs and reboots have been okay, since I disconnect from the Internet (log out of my WLAN via the AC3165) prior to shutting the PC down.

Regarding updates, the only system updates in the last few weeks are the normal Windows 10 Home updates "pushed" to my PC which occur about every 15 to 30 days.

The only other periodic updates & re-installs are with my several SW programs, i.e., the Adobe Creative Cloud Apps and my MAGIX Video Pro X and Music Maker 2020 Apps.

I did recently have to de-install and re-install my WinZip Pro App to an earlier version - I use it rarely but when I did, I found it had been upgraded to a trial version, and I didn't need to have a later paid version!

No recent driver updates, as the AC3165 and other hardware appear to have the latest drivers installed. The AC3165 came with my Lenovo Desktop which I bought in October 2017.

I have attached the "detailed" SSU scan report as you requested.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Regards,

Glenn

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, this forum is for Intel NUCs.

Doc

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

Thank you for your response.

First, we would like to make sure that your system is up to date.

According to the report, your BIOS may be outdated. Are you able to contact your computer vendor to check if a new BIOS version may resolve this issue?

510S-08IKL Desktop (ideacentre) drivers

Also, please try to perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

After that, try to use the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner

Hi Wanner G.,

I was able to successfully update my BIOS which is now Version LENOVO 02TKT61A dated 11/13/2019. Thanks!

Not sure what you mean regarding a Windows "inbox Wi-Fi driver" -- nothing found in my PC's Device Manager nor at Windows website.

In any case, I did go to both the Lenovo Vantage and Intel's Driver & Support Assistant to check on the AC 3165 driver updates

for my Lenovo PC Model & Serial Number per Step 1 of your last reply. My installed drivers appear to be current:

My Wifi Driver: Version 21.80.0.4 dated 01/30/2020

My Bluetooth Driver: Version 21.80.0.3 dated 02/09/2020

The BIOS update may have helped with the Event 17 error problem, as I left the Wifi on and in Auto-connect mode and rebooted the PC,

and these event errors no longer occurred. However, many other event errors are still occurring and the system "hangs" during shutdown and reboot.

I have attached a zip file with three documents which may help to analyze what is still happening:

New SSU Scan Results showing upgraded BIOS

Intel Drivers & Software Report (all Drivers & SW up to date)

An extract of my System Events Log showing all System Events since last PC reboot

At least I have a work-around to avoid the "hanging" incorrect shutdown and subsequent reboot BSOD "hang".

I simply switch my WLAN to "manual connect" and ensure it is logged out of my WLAN before I shut down my PC.

I just noticed that you also suggested that I check my 802.11ac connectivity settings. I have added to my attached zip file two small screenshots (there appear to be two different categories) both showing my current settings . The 802.11a-c setting choice is set to "802.11ac".

Thanks again & best regards,

Glenn

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

Thank you for the update.

The Advanced Settings attached are showing the correct parameters.

Now, these other Event ID errors you are receiving can be caused by the driver. For testing purposes, please perform a clean installation of Wireless drivers with the latest drivers for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/. These drivers are generic drivers. Please follow the steps we provided in the previous post. 

Regarding the inbox Wi-Fi driver, this may or may not be present. Were you able to perform the clean installation following the steps recommended?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner

Hi WannerG,

Today I had time to perform a clean re-install of the Intel Wireless Wifi & Bluetooth Drivers.

I did the complete Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth uninstall with the "Delete the Driver box" checked. Then, I rebooted my PC and attempted to re-install the recommended drivers that I downloaded in Step 1.

Specifically, the Wifi Driver 21.80.2 and the Bluetooth Driver 21.80.0.

However, after checking afterwards under my Device Manager, it appears that earlier driver versions were installed. Here is a "before & after" of the installed driver versions:

Before de-install and reboot:

Wifi Dual-Band Driver Version 21.80.0.4 dated 01/30/2020

Bluetooth Driver Version 21.80.0.3 dated 02/09/2020

After re-install:

Wifi Dual-Band Driver Version 19.51.28.1 dated 01/19/2020

Bluetooth Driver Version 21.60.0.4 dated 11/26/2019

See attached new Zip file which contains Event Logs Extracts after I rebooted my PC with these older drivers.

I even rebooted the PC after activating the "Automatic WLAN/Internet connection". Both reboots went okay without any BSOD "hang"!

It does appear that in both reboots, most of the event error messages have no longer re-occurred.

The only minor issue is that on each subsequent reboot, I get an Intel message that I need to update my Wifi drivers to the latest version.

How can I turn off this notice? A copy of this notice is also included in the zip file.

Thanks & regards,

Glenn

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

The driver versions listed below are the latest drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ for your Intel® Wireless Adapter.

• Bluetooth driver version 20.100.6.4
  • Wi-fi driver version 19.51.28.1

Windows may have installed other drivers after rebooting the computer.

Were these versions of Wifi Dual-Band Driver Version 21.80.0.4 dated 01/30/2020 and Bluetooth Driver Version 21.80.0.3 dated 02/09/2020 showing in Device Manager or just your computer vendor's website?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

These driver versions were all taken from my Device Manager.

The reboot this morning worked fine again, and I answered my own question about the recurring Intel driver update messages.

I went ahead and disabled two Intel services relating to the driver updates. I can just manually check for updates in the future.

See my attached PDF of two screenshots.

The screenshot on Page 2 of my PDF shows were I had responded on the 23rd of January to an automatic Intel driver update request. I do

believe that it was after this update that I started receiving the myriad Event errors in the System Events log.

So, since everything appears to be working fine now with the two Intel drivers that I installed yesterday, I guess we can close this post dialog unless you have something important to add.

Thank you again for taking the time to review all the documentation that I sent you and for all your tips.

Stay safe & best regards,

Glenn

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

I am sorry to say that my PC is again "hanging" on shutdown (last night) and "hung" on startup again (as before) on startup this morning. (I again had to do a hard shutdown and restart again).

I have attached on the Zip of the System Events from yesterday (02 May) a few hours before shutdown to this morning (03 May) after I finally was able to boot up.

This is very frustrating and time-consuming for me, so I have decided to turn back on the two Intel update services (I saw a 30-sec wait System Event in the attached log relating to the Intel update process). I will also let my Windows 10 update to the latest Intel drivers again, and I will revert to my "turn off Wifi BEFORE shutdown" workaround until such date that Intel and Microsoft can FIX the incompatibility issues between the latest Windows 10 version and the Intel AC3165 drivers!

This is way too much work for me - I want to be able to USE my PC and not spend days attempting to fix what appears to be impossible repairs from my (the User's) end.

Thanks anyway for your attempts to help out. Please elevate this problem to your developers, and I will simply wait for a permanent fix from Intel and/or Microsoft. (Can you please send this case - a copy of this forum dialog - to the appropriate Microsoft Windows 10 department that works with Intel component drivers for me?).

Thanks & regards,

Glenn

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

Please allow us to look into this issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GRoss14
Beginner

Hi Wanner G.,

Yes. That is okay, thanks. I am using my PC now to catch up on video editing work, but I will periodically check here, when I have time, to see if any updates have been posted.

As I wrote earlier, my work-around solution of cutting off Wifi before my PC shutdown is preventing further shutdown and bootup problems. So, I will continue with my normal work in the meantime.

If you do find a permanent solution, then just let me know here.

Thanks & stay safe,

Glenn

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRoss14,

We also recommend that you contact Microsoft* to obtain more information about the Event Viewer notifications.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos