Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

How can I deal with the extremely limited range of Bluetooth in my PC?

VTorr7
Beginner

Hello,

I purchased a couple of bluetooth earbuds to use with my PC for Zoom calls at work. The earbuds work fine with my laptops and phones but when I try to use them with my PC I am not able to.

First, they will not pair unless I hold them next to the computer case. When I finally get them to pair, I cannot connect unless , again, they are almost next to the computer case. I got under my desk and test to see if they worked and I was able to connect and use them but, of course, that is not viable as I cannot take calls under my desk.

How can I expand the range of the Bluetooth signal? I have researched and understand that the range should be about 30ft but this is not even 20 inches!

My Bluetooth driver is up to date

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®

• Driver Details
  • Up to date
  • Provider
  • Intel Corporation
  • Version
  • Date
  • 2/9/2020
  • Device Details
  • Manufacturer
  • Intel Corporation
  • Status
  • OK
  • Device Id
  • USB\VID_8087&PID_0A2B&REV_0001

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You know, this feels to me like one of those cases where no antenna for bluetooth is connected to the adapter. @VTorr7​, check what's connected. 

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may try to use Bluetooth USB Adapter (this an example only).

Leon

0 Kudos
VTorr7
Beginner

Thanks @LWAKSMAN​ - I am trying to use what I have but I will purchase something else if needed. I can't understand why this bluetooth would have such a short range...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You know, this feels to me like one of those cases where no antenna for bluetooth is connected to the adapter. @VTorr7​, check what's connected. 

...S

0 Kudos
VTorr7
Beginner

Hmmm...If I was supposed to get an antenna with the motherboard I never got one. That's strange...

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Actually you didn't given any information about your computer: motherboard model, WiFi Adapter model,...
  2. Please download Intel System Support Utility (SSU).
  3. Run the SSU System Scan and save the results. Use the "paperclip" (below left bottom corner), to attach the file with the results to your post.

Leon

0 Kudos
VTorr7
Beginner

Oops sorry about that. I did run the utility but the file that it reports on is an HTML and cannot be attached to the forum. I will try to print PDF and try again

0 Kudos
VTorr7
Beginner

aha! success :)

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please download the User Manual for your board. On page 1 and page 27 you may see the two antennas supplied with your board. You need connect the two antennas to the connectors in the back of your computer. One antenna will serve WiFi 2.4GHz + Bluetooth and the second antenna is for 5GHz WiFi. See the antennas and both connectors on the attached image.

Leon

MS-7A21_2.png

0 Kudos
VTorr7
Beginner

Wow...first of all you are amazing for looking that stuff up, thank you @lwaksman - I went to check the spare cables left from the mobo installation and there they were the antennas, looking at me like DUH! So all fixed and working as intended. Thank you for all the help!

0 Kudos