Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

How can I install the latest wireless drivers without any additional software?

CMora8
New Contributor I

Hello world,

I have a lenovo laptop using an AC7265, and I want to install the latest intel drivers, but I don't want to have any additional software (your proset?). Is this possible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello CMorales85,

Thank you for your question.

To accomplish this, you must download the IT Admin package instead of the regular Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers package. You'll then need to install the driver from the Device Manager. Here are the clean installation process for a driver only installation. If you already uninstalled your OEM drivers, you may skip down to the last step:

1. Download and extract our latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27206/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t IT Admin driver package for your adapter.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Let us know if this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CMorales85,

Thank you for your question.

To accomplish this, you must download the IT Admin package instead of the regular Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers package. You'll then need to install the driver from the Device Manager. Here are the clean installation process for a driver only installation. If you already uninstalled your OEM drivers, you may skip down to the last step:

1. Download and extract our latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27206/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t IT Admin driver package for your adapter.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Let us know if this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CMora8
New Contributor I

Thanks for the quick response!

I had recently formatted my boot drive and installed the OS clean to get rid of all the bloatware. The steps were easy to follow, and worked.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CMorales85,

You're welcome, we're always glad to be of assistance.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos