Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

How to avoid a network card to go to sleep?

MWulf1
Beginner

PC and laptop, both Windows 10 x64, they are 'shared'.

(Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Advanced sharing settings)

That is okay, except when there is no activity for a little while, I have to revive the connection, taking quite a while and I also encountered issues that it was 'lost', meaning to say that I had to reboot the pc or laptop to get reinstate the 'shared' situation.

What is required to have the network card active all the the time? (laptop power saving are set to 30 minutes on adapter or 1 hour plugged in, so I guess that is not the problem)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
MWulf1: Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. We just wanted to verify a few details about your system in order to provide the most accurate response to your question: Were the computers working fine before? When did the issue start? Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? Just to confirm, you mentioned that the PC and laptop are shared, could you please provide a detailed description of what do you mean by "shared"? Are they connected to the same router? Do you have the chance to please provide a screen shot of device manager for both the laptop and the PC? Laptop: What is the model of the laptop? What is the model of the wireless card? The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or or it came already installed in the computer? PC: What is the model of the motherboard? What is the model of the processor? What is the model of the wireless card? The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or or it came already installed in the computer? In the following link you will find the recommended settings for the wireless connection, in there you will find further details about this subject: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MWulf1
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for getting back. Sorry for the delay.

I am using a desktop PC and a laptop.

Have collected some details and hope this is more or less what you are looking for (see at the bottom)

With 'shared' I mean that I have made both PC and laptop 'visible' through Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Advanced sharing settings, turn ON autodiscover and various other options that usually are turned off.

So, in Windows Explorer tree, under Network, the names of the laptop and PC are showing up.

Thereafter I have 'shared' folders: Folders->Properties->tab "Sharing" - click on [Share].

This is all fine, but after some time of inactivity on the laptop, I have noticed that one of the devices disappear from the Windows Explorer tree->Network.

I need to do a refresh and it takes quite a while before the device shows up. However, in some instances, the device did not show up at all and I had to reboot it in order to get it up and going.

Note that Windows power savings are:

Turn off display on battery 30 mins

Turn off display plugged in Never

Put the computer to sleep on battery: 1 hr

Put the computer to sleep plugged in: Never

Thank you.

Lenovo Thinkpad P52 model 20M9CTO1WW   Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1809 (OS Build 17763.134) CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H   Network Adapter 1 Model Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 Type Wireless Native 802.11 Speed 866 Mbps Driver Version 20.80.0.5   Model Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V Type Wired 802.3 Speed 1000 Mbps Driver Version 12.17.10.7   Name: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V   DisplayName DisplayValue RegistryKeyword RegistryValue ----------- ------------ --------------- ------------- Flow Control Rx & Tx Enabled *FlowControl 3 Interrupt Moderation Enabled *InterruptModeration 1 IPv4 Checksum Offload Rx & Tx Enabled *IPChecksumOffloadIPv4 3 Jumbo Packet Disabled *JumboPacket 1514 Large Send Offload ... Enabled *LsoV2IPv4 1 Large Send Offload ... Enabled *LsoV2IPv6 1 Maximum Number of R... 2 Queues *NumRssQueues 2 Protocol ARP Offload Enabled *PMARPOffload 1 Protocol NS Offload Enabled *PMNSOffload 1 Packet Priority & VLAN Packet Prior... *PriorityVLANTag 3 Receive Side Scaling Enabled *RSS 1 Speed & Duplex Auto Negotia... *SpeedDuplex 0 TCP Checksum Offloa... Rx & Tx Enabled *TCPChecksumOffloadIPv4 3 TCP Checksum Offloa... Rx & Tx Enabled *TCPChecksumOffloadIPv6 3 UDP Checksum Offloa... Rx & Tx Enabled *UDPChecksumOffloadIPv4 3 UDP Checksum Offloa... Rx & Tx Enabled *UDPChecksumOffloadIPv6 3 Wake on Magic Packet Disabled *WakeOnMagicPacket 0 Wake on Pattern Match Enabled *WakeOnPattern 1 Adaptive Inter-Fram... Disabled AdaptiveIFS 0 Reduce link speed d... Disabled AutoPowerSaveModeEna... 0 Energy Efficient Et... On EEELinkAdvertisement 1 Wake on Magic Packe... Enabled EnablePME 1 Interrupt Moderatio... Adaptive ITR 65535 Legacy Switch Compa... Disabled LinkNegotiationProcess 1 Log Link State Event Enabled LogLinkStateEvent 51 Gigabit Master Slav... Auto Detect MasterSlave 0 Reduce link speed d... Disabled SipsEnabled 0 Ultra Low Power Mod... Enabled ULPMode 1 Wait for Link Auto Detect WaitAutoNegComplete 2 Wake on Link Settings Disabled WakeOnLink 0 Receive Buffers 256 *ReceiveBuffers 256 Transmit Buffers 512 *TransmitBuffers 512 Locally Administere... NetworkAddress     Right now I don't know how to retrieve the WiFi adapter settings.   PC: Asus PC motherboard X99-DELUXE/U3.1   Network Adapter 1 Model Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V Label Ethernet 2 Status Disconnected Type Wired 802.3 Speed 1000 Mbps Driver Provider Microsoft Driver Version 12.15.22.6 Driver Date 2016-04-05   Network Adapter 2 Model Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection Label Ethernet Status Connected Type Wired 802.3 Speed 1000 Mbps Driver Provider Microsoft Driver Version 12.15.22.6 Driver Date 2016-04-05  

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MWulf1: Thank you very much for providing that information.

Based on the report, it says that the current wireless driver installed on your system is version 20.8.0.5, there is a newer Intel® wireless driver version available in our web site, version 20.90.0, please try to install that driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=99446

If the problem persists after that, then please provide the following information:

-SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

-Enter "msinfo32" in the Windows* search bar and provide the information showing in there

-I sent you an email for you to fill the information requested on the document.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MWulf1
Beginner

Thanks for the above.

I think I let it rest. Probably there is no solution anyhow and I have spent an awful lot of time on this already.

Tried to install the latest version , downloaded WiFi_20.90.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe but got a warning:

this software package cannot be installed on your system.

(Windows 10 x64, latest build)

Then I restored an image, tried again, same error.

Then I tried the option "Automatically update your drivers'

installed "Driver & Support Assistant' same problem

Then I checked my AV program, there is nothing in the log files there, seems nothing is blocked.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MWulf1: You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists and we understand your decision. By any chance, if further assistance on this subject is needed, please provide the information requested on the previous post and we will continue providing support to try to fix this problem.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MWulf1
Beginner

Thanks for getting back on this.

Please, you may close this case.

I stopped sharing desktop and laptop (through Windows network / sharing) and found another way to sync files from desktop to laptop.

Thank you.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi MWulf1, You are very welcome. Perfect, excellent, we are glad to hear that you found another way and the solution to sync files from desktop to laptop. Thank you also for providing the results. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos