Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

How to change MAC Address in intel(R) dual band wireless-ac3165???

SAGRA19
Beginner

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What possible reason would you have for doing that?

SAGRA19
Beginner

because i have limited wifi data and my requirement doesnt fulfilled from that and thats why my device limit got exceeded, so that i want to change mac address..

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Changing the MAC address is not going to make a difference to WiFi data limits. Are you trying to do something illegal here? We cannot support that.

...S

0 Kudos
SAGRA19
Beginner

no by changing mac address it will allow me to re login again to the network so that my limit gets renewed, and i will assure you that i will not doing any illegal work

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, I was more concerned with the legality of spoofing the MAC address itself.

Regardless, Intel Customer Support will need to tell us if a tool is available (I don't know if one exists for these Wireless cards). At the same time, have you checked the driver settings to see if this can be changed on the fly? Some drivers support a randomizing of MAC addresses.

H​ope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello everyone,

The Media Access Control (MAC) address is a hardware ID implemented during the manufacturing process and therefore cannot be changed.

Some third-party software applications can imitate a MAC address. For security reasons, we do not support this practice.

You can see this information on the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006057/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Oscar A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
singarola
Beginner

Hi SAGRA19, I was messing around with the AP last night and got confused setting up MAC filtering. Obviously I lost access. I had a little problem ... the AP is neighbor-owned. So I got down to business to change the MAC of the laptop and Boalaaa. If you still need help I'll tell you how I did it privately (staying within the law as well).

"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165"
Access Point:"XX:XX:XX:XX:7e:90"
Authentication: XXX
Availability:"Running or Full Power"
- "Caption":"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165"
Link:"http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=Dual+Band+Wireless+AC+3165"

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos