I have a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G ultrabook which came equipped with an Intel 4200U CPU and an Intel N 7260 WiFi & Bluetooth module. It runs an up to date version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
I bought an Intel AC 8265 M.2 module to replace the original part. Installation fails. The driver for the WiFi gets installed but does not start and the Bluetooth adapter does not even appear at the Windows Device Manager.
These adapters are for OEM integration only:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?
As Al mentioned, Intel® Wireless Adapters are not meant to be used in custom integrations, you should contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support before upgrading. The new adapter may not be compatible with your PC.
In our best effort, you can try a clean installation of the wireless driver:
1. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.20.3]
2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".
3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".
4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.
5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.
6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.