Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

How to stop Wifi Link 5100 AGN from connecting to a particular wifi device?

MMurd
Beginner

My Wifi Link 5100 AGN keeps connecting to our hospital's guest wifi, instead of to my Verizon Jetpack Mifi. When I boot up my laptop, it automatically selects the hospital's wifi, but I don't want to use that and have to disconnect from it and connect to my own wireless. Is there any way to tell it NOT to select the hospital's wifi? It will also drop my own wifi halfway through the day without notice and reconnect to the hospital's wifi. Without being aware that it does it, I can end up breaking some of the employee rules about using that wifi! Help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

wildmaven,

Automatic wireless connection is usually handled by the OS. It tells you exactly what the adapter has to do. In order to help you with this, this is what you can do:

1. Open the Network and Sharing Center. On the upper left, click "manage wireless networks". right click the wireless network that is giving you trouble, and choose properties. Uncheck the "Connect automatically when this network is in range".

2. As a second option, you can also try the following: open Intel® PROSet/Wireless Tools (you can do that by searching it on your start menu), under "Intel® Wifi Hotspot Assistant" click "Settings" and untick "Automatically Connect to Free Wifi hotspots"

Please let us know if this helped you to resolve this situation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

wildmaven,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would lle to know if you still need our assistance regarding the situation presented. Please let us know as soon as possible.
0 Kudos