Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

I can't see a network share by my phone on 5ghz with the wireless of my pc 3168 (but with my pc I can't see other 5ghz network around)

bbeha
Beginner

I can't see a network share by my phone (Xiaomi redmi note 7) on 5ghz with the wireless of my pc 3168 (msi gl62vr7rfx)

I have no issue with the 2.4ghz but impossible on 5ghz but both have the 802.11 ac

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

beha, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the router?

Is this a new computer?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Was it working fine before?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@bbeha​  You may need to have SMB1 turned on your PC to have your phone see your network share.

Doc

0 Kudos
bbeha
Beginner

hello :

What is the model of the motherboard?   MSI MegaBook GE62VR/GF62VR/GL62MVR/GP62MVR/GP62VR (MS-16JB)

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it? MSI GL62VR 7RFX

What is the model of the router? the router is my phone XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 7

Is this a new computer? not really buy in 10/2017

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? No

Was it working fine before? Never try before so the answer is no

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer? already inside the laptop :   Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 

When did the issue start? Since I try to connect my computer on the wifi from my phone but with the 5GHZ I have no issue with the 2.4GHZ

Which Windows* version are you using? Windows 10 pro

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly? Yes this working between my phone and PC with the 2.4 GHZ but not with the 5GHZ. I try to understand if it's possible with my configuration or not ( so I hope to find an answer here because for my my computer should see all 5ghz network ?) or maybe the phone sent it on a band that the wireless card could not see ?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment? Home environment

>>> Again, I would like to know base on my wireless card if it's normal to not see the network provide by my phone when I choose 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz ?

>> If not, can you help me on it ?

> If not, I will give up and stay on 2.4ghz.

I have activated the SMB1 of my windows but it didn't change anything

Thank you for your help

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

beha, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in MSI's web site and the Wireless driver available for your system is version 19.51.5.3, please try a clean installation of that driver:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GL62VR-7RFX#down-driver&Win10%2064

In the following link you will see the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings for you to review them:

• Please make sure that you are selecting the 5GHz band, most of the times the laptop works with 2.4GHz by default
  • Since the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 works with 802.11ac, make sure to be using: VHT mode or 802.11ac: enables 802.11ac data rates
  • Change the channel width from "Auto" to 20 MHz:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

You mentioned that you never try this type of Wireless connection before, just to confirm, why is that you are using your cell phone instead of a Router? The reason why we asked this question is because The Router is more stable and most of the times it has a better performance.

Do you have the option to use another laptop to connect it to the phone or use another phone to provide the 5GHz Wireless connection?

Do you have the chance to try to connect the laptop to a Router? 

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
bbeha
Beginner

Hello,

I try your recommandation but it didn't work.

maybe there are incompatible or my laptop is to old.

For the moment where I lived, I don't have acces to a router, I only have my phone to get data on my PC

It's working fine with the 2.4ghz but for some software it's recommmande to used the 5GHZ.

I will wait to get the router later.

Thank you for your help. I will do without for the moment

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

beha, Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, no problem, thank you very much for letting us know those details. Keep in mind that if by any chance in the future you need further technical assistance, you can always re-open the case by replying to this post.

As an alternative, you can always get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the cell phone to confirm if maybe there are some settings in it that need to be modified for you to be able to establish the 5GHz Wireless connection.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos