Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

I have a N 7260 that only gets 11 mbps

BGord3
Beginner

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver from Intel. This unit used to get 50-60 mbps and after reinstalling the driver, it still only gets 10-15 mbps. This is a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop with Win 10 64 bit.

I have tried adjusting adapter advanced setting with no change.

I am fairly knowledgeable in computers and devices.

Other computers on the wireless network get 50-60 mbps. The router is a Netgear Nighthawk.

Can someone please help?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to work with Dell support on this issue, as dell is solely responsible for support of your laptop. Also, in case you are using the Intel driver, you should be using the dell provided driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner

Dell site says to use the Intel driver due to a potential lag from release to being placed on their site, which I downloaded and installed. The Driver from Dell is for other Laptop model numbers but not my laptop. I don't understand why I could get 50-60 for several months and then now only get the 10-15. I did find a new Bios update and thought maybe that was the issue but that didn't help either.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and attach the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer will be able to assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner

Here are the scan results

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BGord3, To continue troubleshooting the performance issues reported, please try installling this driver: For Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 Driver version 20.100.3.1 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28559/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=75440 You have not mentioned the driver version you have installed on your system, but we recommend performing a clean installation of the wireless driver. Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html **We recommend using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers only. Installing generic drivers may or may not work, and it may override customizations. Also, please check the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html If the issue persists, please let us know if Intel® Wireless Adapter cam preinstalled on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Current Installed Version: 18.33.15.1. I followed all of the instructions in your links and the driver link for BT_20.120.0_64_Win10, I assume is version 20.120.0. If this is the case, the installation is failing although the setup completes and the version in Device Manager shows version18.33.15.1. I also ran the Support assistant the results are all drivers are up to date.

I have run the Windows network adapter troubleshooter and it returns "no issues found".

I am very knowledgeable in PC repair and building but this one has me stumped. I cannot however tell you which version last worked and gave me the 50-60 mbps that I was getting and other PC's on my network running 5G get.

What is my next course of action?

0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner

In addition, there is no wireless adapter Cam.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BGord3, Thank you for your response. We are not aware of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) advising customers to install generic drivers since users should use OEM drivers only. Please try installing this driver following the steps recommended before. Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version: 20.110.0 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28511/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10 **Note: If the issue persists, then we would like to know if the Intel® Wireless Adapter came preinstalled on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner

Hi Wanner, I tried the driver in the link you provided. The installation says it is the same version as what is already installed. I went ahead and told it to install anyway. It thin said a newer version is already installed.

This card is an upgrade from a 2.4G card that I installed.

The N7260 worked fine for over a year. When it changed, I do not know. I just discovered this issue a couple days ago.

0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BGord3, Thank you for your response. Based on the information provided, you are using the latest generic driver version available at our Download Center for this wireless adapter. When upgrading wireless hardware, performance may be impacted because of the following reasons: 1. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) may limit a computer to only specific wireless adapters. 2. Compatibility issues. 3. Some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapters to be certified with the antenna that is intended to be used together in the system, while some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapter to be certified at the full system level. If the issue persists, we recommend: 1. Check Windows* updates, scan and apply all of them. 2. Contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for driver support. For more information about Wireless Upgrades, please refer to this support link: Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BGord3, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BGord3
Beginner

Hi WannerG, I found the problem. The issue was with the Dell Program "Smartbytes" I went through MSConfig and started with Disabling all Non Microsoft Services. Smartbytes was the culprit. I am now getting speeds up to 125.5 Mbps.

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos