Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

I have on my laptop an Intel Dual Band Wireless Chipset - AC 7260 which is always disconnection with the fix result "Default Gateway Not Available". I was wondering whether it would be possible to replace the existing chipset with a newer version.

A_Alex_Veloso
Beginner

HP Zbook G2 17

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version: 17763.404

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930MX CPU @ 3.00GHz

32GB

2255 KBC Version 03.12

M70 Ver. 01.23

NVIDIA Quadro K4100M

Realtek High Definition Audio

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Whether the Wireless-AC 7260 solution will be replaceable is dependent upon how it was included in the laptop design...

1. In a rare number of cases, the chipset itself is built onto the laptop's motherboard. In this case, it will not be replaceable.
  2. In most cases, the laptop's motherboard provides a mini-PCIe (M.1) or M.2 socket and a standard M.1/M.2 Wireless-AC 7260 adapter (which is a small circuit board) is plugged into it. In this case, you can remove the adapter and replace it with another. Now, whether you can replace this adapter with a different solution (a non-Intel adapter, for example) is unknown. Some laptop manufacturers implement Black Lists or White Lists that would preclude you using a different solution. We cannot tell you if this is the case here; you will need to ask HP.

As I wrote this, I had a thought: Have you checked to see if you simply have a lose or disconnected antenna wire? There will typically be two wires connected to the Wireless-AC 7260 adapter (or to the motherboard). If one or both become disconnected, you could see connection issues like this.

Another thought I have is: Have you tried downloading and installing the latest Bluetooth and Wireless driver and software packages? This sometimes fixes these kinds of issues. To be completely clean, use this process to do the upgrade:

1. Download the latest Bluetooth and Wireless packages and save them to the laptop's hard drive (on your desktop is fine). Don't try to install them yet.
  2. Completely disconnect from the Internet. Unplug the Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
  3. From the Apps and Features Settings scene, uninstall both the Bluetooth and Wireless packages.
  4. Reboot (leaving Internet disconnected).
  5. Install the Bluetooth package first.
  6. Install the Wireless package second.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Reconnect Internet. Plug Ethernet cable back in and/or enable wireless.
  9. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
A_Alex_Veloso
Beginner

I have checked the two wires connected to the chipset and they look good! the chipset is attached to the mother frame with a mini-PCIe, can I replace with the latest chipset?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

All I can say for sure is that you can replace it with the same module. Whether you can use the "latest" chipset (whatever that is), is something that you need to ask HP.

...S

0 Kudos
A_Alex_Veloso
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I have followed your instruction, the wireless worked very well, fast and sable, once I restart the pc the following day it started the problem again.

My laptop came with an Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor and now it has an Intel Core I7 4930MX which was removed from a Dell. It is running faster than ever!

According to HP this processor upgrade wouldn't be possible.

My laptop has an Intel Dual Band AC 7260 and I plan to upgrade with "Intel AC 9260NGW VPro Dual Band WLAN WiFi", do you have any comments?

Regards,

Alex A Veloso

Director and Architectural Designer

Tower Residential Design Ltd.

https://designtrc.com/index.html

0 Kudos
A_Alex_Veloso
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I have followed your instruction, the wireless worked very well, fast and sable, once I restart the pc the following day it started the problem again.

My laptop came with an Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor and now it has an Intel Core I7 4930MX which was removed from a Dell. It is running faster than ever!

According to HP this processor upgrade wouldn't be possible.

My laptop has an Intel Dual Band AC 7260 and I plan to upgrade with "Intel AC 9260NGW VPro Dual Band WLAN WiFi", do you have any comments?

Regards,

Alex A Veloso

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you cannot use the 9000 series adapters because they require 8th gen Core processors. Best you are going to do are the 8000 series adapters, the Wireless-AC 8260 and Wireless-AC 8265.

...S

0 Kudos
A_Alex_Veloso
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the guidelines, I will research more about the 8000 series and drop the 9000 series.

Regards,

Alex A Veloso

0 Kudos
User1578223853515383

Got the info from this forum:

The problem is the newer Intel drivers, as many have pointed out.

Now to those remaining, take the steps that intel techs pointed out months ago, which involves:

* removing all intel network software from your 'add/remove applications"

* rolling back your driver version. This is done by going uninstall driver in device manager and choosing 'also remove software' tick box.

* Rescan again so it shows again, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, till you get sick of repeating!

* Use CCleaner and clean your registry of any shit leftover, use windows disk cleanup etc. (good practise)

* Rescan till nothing shows, restart, repeat.. (now they didn't tell you about this repeating! hehe)

* Most of those who are onto it, won't have to repeat so much, but if you have been stuffing around trying to fix this, then there is a lot of rubbish to clean.

* Reboot

* It will reinstall it, check the version, is it the MS version? We are looking for version: 17.15.0.5 or simular 17x version.

Now you check your wifi, and it should be mint.

Now to stop Windows Update reinstalling the shitest driver from intel again, you can google this:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drivers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ806NZ806&oq=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drive&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10325j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

To anyone still having disconnect issues with the ac-7260 module, please try falling back on the driver version. Doing so has worked for many, including myself.

You can get drivers from Microsoft (Update catalog) here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ac-7260 Try drivers prior to 18.33.x.x.

If it works for you, please leave a comment here so others will know.

0 Kudos