Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

I need an Intel drop-in replacement to get rid of a Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter, now being used in a Dell XPS15 9560 laptop, running on Arch linux.

KHust1
Beginner

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact Dell, as you simply cannot "drop-in" an Intel adapter and expect it to work.

Doc

0 Kudos
KHust1
Beginner

Generally Arch users do not expect anything to work "as they are" or by dropping them in whatever system. When circumstances call for it, they will not balk at writing their own patch and recompiling a kernel module to make things work. Sorry if my phrasing led you to believe I was a push-button user. I'm not.

However I, as most in the Arch community, am more SW oriented than HW oriented. Hence my request for help on how to choose an Intel Adapter whose form factor and characteristics make it:

• a fitting choice for a Dell XPS15 9560 laptop
  • generally compatible with the Linux kernel
  • an improvement on the general characteristics of the Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter, whose Wi-Fi TX rate is actually capped by firmware at 1Mbps (yes, not a typo !)

So back to your advice: how do I contact Intel ? I thought posting on Intel's user forum was doing just that. For some unknown reason the contact chat bot does not work for me.

Is this forum not the right place for advice / help / suggestions on choosing a Wireless adapter ? Is there another way ?

Cheers.

-karen

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This is the Intel support forum. Dell has a support forum. The two forums are not connected. You need to go to www.dell.com/support.

Doc

0 Kudos
KHust1
Beginner

I mistyped my previous message. with "Dell" instead of "Intel". I corrected the mistake.

Of course what I need is Intel support so I can acquire one of its product to replace a Qualcomm device.

Dell has nothing to do with that. My mistake.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Editing your post once it has been responded to is frowned upon, as now the conversation is disjoint and out-of-sync.

Ok, let me try again. You MUST contact DELL. Read paragraphs 2,3,4,5 and 6 here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Doc

0 Kudos
KHust1
Beginner

That was helpful, thank you.

Is that content the reason nobody answers the gist of my query; namely, what wireless network adapter would be a good replacement for Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac under Linux?

I did intend to install the device on my own and configure it according to local regulations in terms of emitted power, and available channels, channel width and range of Wi-Fi frequencies. The conditions of Wi-Fi emission/reception are mostly software-controlled in Linux systems. Various utilities make it uncomplicated and I will operate within wireless regulatory limits.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello KHust1, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. The response provided by Al.Hill is correct, you need to first contact the manufacturer of your laptop before looking for an adapter to purchase and replace. You can find more information in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
KHust1
Beginner

Done. Recommended for Linux systems and regulation compliant are (with proper configuration): Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and 9260.

0 Kudos