Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NMinh2
Beginner

INTEL dual band wireless-AC 8260. Does it support to create a wifi hotspot?

I've got a laptop: asus GL552VX-DM143D, wifi card: INTEL dual band wireless-AC 8260.

But I can't create a wifi hotspot. Does it support to create a wifi hotspot?

Thanks for your time

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

jayming90,

The Intel® Wireless Adapters were not designed to be used as a hotspot.

NMinh2
Beginner

aleki_intel: Thank you so much

So it is a hardware problem that this adapter doesn't support for create a wifi hosted network? Right?

Can I waiting for a updated driver to support wifi hosted network in the future?!

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

jayming90,

Regrettably we do not have any information if this will ever be available for Intel® Wireless Adapters. One tool you can use and check at your earliest conveniece is this one: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59484/Intel-Wi-Fi-Products Intel® Wi-Fi Products any new release will be shown there and by clicking on the wireless adapter name you will be able to see all specifications.

DHeal3
Beginner

jayming90,

I think that you are asking one question, and Intel are answering another.

The AC 8260 does support acting as a soft-AP. This is clearly stated on the 8260's data sheet: "...Support simultaneous Client and SoftAP modes".

However, the card cannot operate as a Wi-Fi hotspot without additional software functionality provided by both the operating system (e.g. Windows 7, 8.1, 10) and third party applications (e.g. Connectify).

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

dh29 and jayming90

Please bear in mind that the Intel® Wireless Adapters were not designed to be used as hotspots so there is no guarantee it will work even if using third-party products.

DHeal3
Beginner

aleki_intel and jayming90

There is no 'guarantee' that any 3rd party app will work with Intel products, but Intel are stating that the card can be used as a soft-AccessPoint, as clearly stated on their datasheet. This is a fundamental requirement in order to be able to provide the capability of a hot-spot. I fully appreciate that you are making it clear that Intel do not specifically provide any 'hot-spot' capability or support for it.