Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel 4965AGN Windows 7

idata
Employee

HI,

I'm having real problems with this 4965 on Windows 7. The computer will sometimes see the networks, however will not connect at all.

The computer is a Dell XPS M1330. I've done a clean install of both 32 and 64bit windows 7, updated to the latest BIOS and also tried older BIOS, I've tried multiple drivers, including the most recent and earlier versions, I've changed the channel on the router from 6 to 11 to 3 to 8, I've upgraded my router firmware (other devices are connecting fine) I've tried the computer on other wireless networks and it will not connect. I've installed the Intel WIFI connection utility and it still won't connect. I've disabled and enabled the card on multiple occasions, I've removed and reinstalled the device, I've shutdown the computer and removed the battery to discharge the MB.

I've contacted Dell and they were no help.

Originally I upgraded from Vista to 7 and the wireless connected intermittently, it then dropped out. After much reloading drivers etc. I did a new clean install to windows 7 32 which failed, then 64 which also failed.

I'm starting to run out of options and would really appreciate any input as to what I am missing.

Cheers,

Corms.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Employee

I should also mention that I have tried static IP, disabled the firewall and there is not anti virus installed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, so I've solved it for anyone who encounters a similar issue. It required the intel chipset drivers provided on the Dell driver disk. They were specified for Vista, however worked for Windows 7 and once installed the wireless worked fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem, what Windows do you use? I use Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, but still the same problems (I installed Intel chipset 64 bit from Dell's web for XPS m1330 (Win Vista)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, from memory it was Win 7 32 bit. Have you have upgraded the BIOS and wireless drivers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello!! yes, I upgraded the bios and the drivers, but still the same problem, I used wifi intel 3945ABG and too, I bought Intel 4965AGN and now it is same!!! don't you have the XPS m1330 now? where you downloaded the intel chipset software?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was upgrading it for a client, and have worked on about 100 computers since then, as such my memory is a little scratchy on the subject.

I can't speak for the 64bit OS as only 32bit was required because the computer will never have 4GB+ RAM.

The chipset drivers were loaded from the original Dell Vista drivers disk that came with the computer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

BTW silly question, but you do have the wireless switch on the side set to "on" don't you?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

haha, yes my friend!, the problem is that the connection is intermittent, sometimes I am connected perfectly and sometimes it disconnects and does not detect any network.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sounds like the problem I was having, although the chipset drivers definitely resolved it. Have you changed your router channel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That looks like the same one I used. All I can recommend is to load Win 7 32bit and see how that goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again!, A question, do you remember if you did a clean install of Windows 7, and then install Intel Chipset software immediately?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I did a clean install, however had been messing around with WLAN drivers before I installed the chipset.

I should mention that I loaded another M1330 a week later with just a clean install and enountered no problem at all. So it's a strange one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Very bad, my friend. I installed the newest drivers, I tested with 3 wireless card (2 cards Intel 3945abg and 1 card Intel 4965agn). I changed from slot (from WLAN slot to WWAN slot, using the same antenna [white and black wires], and it worked for a moment). I installed Windows 7 32 bit, Windows Vista 32 bit (it worked fine for little minutes, I used the Debian LiveCD 6.0.3 (It doesn't detect the card), but the LiveCD of the latest version of Ubuntu, it was detected, it worked for 10 min and then turned off . The odd thing that happens is that Bluetooth also disappears sometimes. I ran out of ideas!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sounds like hardware then, not related to the OS version. Possibly a MB problem>??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello!, the last thing I did was disable the "Wireless switch" from the BIOS, and since then the wireless has worked flawlessly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey that's awesome. Congratulations!

0 Kudos