Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel 7260 resets when on 5ghz network

CNich1
Beginner

I have a Dell XPS laptop with a mini (half) PCIe 7260 wireless card. I have browsed many forums and found numerous issues with this card from people explaining exactly the same issue I have.

If I connect to my router on a 5ghz ac connection I will randomly lose wifi. Windows will state there are no connections available. Sometimes I can disable the adapter from device manager and re-enable it but not always. I usually have to reboot and it will come back. It will then work .... for a while then it all happens again. Windows error logs state that the driver is requesting a reset.

I have tried ALL of the tweaks that I can find on the net. The ONLY way I can have a stable wifi connection without it crashing, resetting etc is to connect to a 2.4 ghz connection. This defeats the point of having an AC card when it does not work reliably on AC.

I have tried all drivers from 16.XXXX up to the latest (which I am currently using) package 19.60.0. Every single one has the same issue. Can Intel (anyone) please fix this issue or tell me what I can do to get the card working reliably on the 5ghz band?

Thanks,

Rom.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Romburner,

We understand your system is having connectivity issues to 5 GHz networks. Please apply the following actions:

- Make sure you are using the driver recommended by your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support.

- Apply the configuration mentioned in the in the advisory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

For further assistance please provide the following information:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool with the connection working fine and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

2. Access point model and firmware version.

3. Was this adapter built from factory with your PC?

4. Has this configuration worked well before?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

I was using the driver from Dell, same problem. Tried all of the intel downloadable ones as well, same problem. I have tried the 'N' recommended settings, same problem. I have tried various other settings from other forums that report exactly the same issue as me, same problem. Power option is always set on the adapter to not allow Windows to turn off to save power. I also have my power options set to maximum performance.

The ONLY thing that solves the issue is to connect to a 2.4ghx network then it is stable but very slow. There is another post on here describing exactly the same issue as me and the same issues reported in the windows event viewer. ie driver requesting reset. PC not shutting down (reports power_state issue in wifi driver) , can't re-enable the wifi. I am currently trying the suggestion in that thread.

My access point is a Netgear R6300 firmware: V1.0.2.78_1.0.58

The adapter is the standard one that was installed by Dell at purchase.

Yes, it used to work when I originally got the PC but then it was running Windows 8.1. As soon as Windows 10 was installed the problems started.

I am on the latest build of Windows 10 Home with all updates and 'service packs' installed.

I have downloaded the diagnostics and run it but do not know where ' Advanced editor options of the communities' is to post it. I do not wish to post as a public attachment.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Romburner,

Please let us know there was an improvement after the actions you found in the other thread, if possible let us know which are those actions.

Additionally, we advise you to follow these steps for a clean installation of the wireless driver:

1. You can use the driver from Dell as first option, if the issue persists please try the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26782/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.60.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

If the issue persists at this point we will need the SSU log mentioned before, let us know in case you do not wish to post it publicly and we will contact you privately to continue working on this issue.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

OK, the other post's solution did not work. My PC lost wifi (and bluetooth). It took 5 minutes to shut down before giving me the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD. So, I reverted to your instructions which only take the driver back to the WHQL driver in windows (version 17.15.0.5) - which incidentally is the driver the other post said was the solution. You cannot remove this driver and scan for hardware changes always re-installs this driver. So, I removed the device and did the cleanup of temporary files.

I then proceeded to install the proset 19.60.0. All installed and the computer failed to get any wifi connection.

Rebooted....Computer hung with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE again.

Back into windows. I see wifi but no SSIDs to connect to.

Removed proset & driver from device manager.

Back to 17.15.0.5 WHQL driver now to post this message.

At my wits end now with this adapter not working properly in Windows 10.......

I have attached my debug file for you, I hope you can find some solution for me otherwise I will have to resort to a (non intel) ugly USB adapter hanging out of my ultrabook.

0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

Just had the wifi go disabled twice in 10 minutes and hanging at shutdown (need to reboot to get wifi back). Here is further detail from the windows event log:

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.

The description for Event ID 5032 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP7

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

WLAN AutoConfig detected limited connectivity, attempting automatic recovery.

Recovery Type: 4

Error Code: 0x0

Trigger Reason: 12

IP Family: 4

Closing a UDP socket with local port number 62099 in process 3000 is taking longer than expected. The local port number may not be available until the close operation is completed. This happens typically due to misbehaving network drivers. Ensure latest updates are installed for Windows and any third-party networking software including NIC drivers, firewalls, or other security products.

When I get this last error regarding UDP, this is when the wifi is not recoverable and the adapter/driver stops the PC cleanly closing/rebooting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Romburner,

Please check for Windows* updates and verify that KB4022716 is installed, this was just released by Microsoft* and addresses some networking issues.

We will be waiting to know if this helped, or if the issue reoccurs.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

Yes, that update was installed yesterday, 28/06/2017. If anything the stability is worse than ever. I can't even get online with the laptop now (posting this from my desktop).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Romburner,

We would like to review additional details of the system, please provide the following information:

- Do a clean installation of the latest driver [19.60] using the steps provided before.

- Windows System event log. Please clear the logs first, reproduce the issue, then save the Event log.

- Get a new SSU log, when you obtain the log, please enable to option "Third Party Logs".

This information will be very helpful to investigate on this issue.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately since my last post things went downhill fast. It got to a point where windows would not uninstall the driver (it got stuck at the 'uninstalling' dialog box in Device Manager). Windows would not close down properly and system restore resorted to a blank screen. Within 10-15 seconds of entering windows the wifi card would lose all connections and I would then be unable to perform a clean shutdown. Bluetooth would also stop working at the same time. So, I had to resort to a full reinstall of windows 10.

The driver is on the base Windows 10 WHQL driver 17.15.0.5 and appears to behaving for the moment. With this in mind I am loathed to try new drivers (if it ain't broke don't fix it)! However, if it starts happening again then I will certainly try your suggestion and post the logs. I hope Intel can get to the bottom of this as I see another user has just posted with exactly the same issues as me.

I will probably know tomorrow morning as I usually wake up to my laptop having the problem overnight.

0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

As expected, the fault did occur again. So, I have gone one better. I have carried out the above logs and tests both on driver 17.15.0.5 and also after upgrading to the 19.60 package. Enclosed are both windows system events and SSU logs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Romburner,

Thanks for the information, we will review the logs and will let you know as soon as we have further details.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
CNich1
Beginner

The install and uninstall seems to have taken it's toll. Even if I install the latest ProSet kit, which says successful, the driver in window device manager states it is using 17.15.0.5. The Wifi is now back to being totally unusable. Even If I get it working by disable, re-enable until it connects, it loses 'internet' within minutes.

I have decided enough is enough and replaced the card with an AC8265NGW. Windows detected it immediately, I installed the BT drivers and all is working well up to now (though it is only 4 hours since I installed, but I have had no drops). This seems to me to indicate a 7260 hardware/driver problem and advise anyone who has the same issues with the 7260 to ditch it and not waste another minute on the card, you'll never get back the time wasted on the rubbish 7260 card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Romburner,

Thank you for the update, we are glad that your system is working well after the wireless upgrade.

We will consider all the information you provided for future reference.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos