Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel 7260HMW - WiFi Off in Windows 8

JLC
Beginner

I just installed this adapter into the mini-PCIe slot on my desktop.

Windows 8

Intel 7260HMW - Driver Version 16.10.0.5

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Q87N

My problem is that the WiFi will not stay on. The longest I have been able to get it to stay connected is about 10 minutes. Normally it will connect only for 1 or 2 seconds. Then, in the Windows 8 WiFi pane on the right side of the screen, all the networks will disappear and it will say WiFi (Off)

I verified this is the newest driver available from Intel.

The same issue occurs in Safe Mode with Networking.

The same issue occurs regardless of whether or not I allow Windows to turn off the device to save power.

If I go to "Change PC Settings" I do not even have a "Wireless" section to see this supposed "Airplane Mode" that comes up in my Google searches.

The adapter appears just fine in Device Manager, and even when the WiFi pane says "WiFi (Off)" if I check in the network adapter screen (ncpa.cpl) it will show the adapter as enabled and "Not Connected"

I have a Cisco USB wireless adapter that works perfectly fine on this same computer.

The fact that it appears in Device Manager makes me hesitate to suspect any kind of hardware issue. But I have no other computers with the mini-PCIe interface available so I cannot test in another computer.

Anyone got any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry for the trouble. I wonder if you have any other application intended to control WiFi connectivity. There is the possibility to use Intel® Proset Wireless Connection Utility and see if the WiFi can be turned on that way; furthermore, you can run the Manual Diagnostics Tool.

You may also want to consider updating your system BIOS or contacting the motherboard manufacturer for further assistance and compatibility information. We also have to bear in mind that the installation of these adapters is subject to local regulatory approvals.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

0 Kudos
JLC
Beginner

No other applications are installed to manage WiFi.

Same result using the Intel Proset Wireless Connection Utility. It indicates the hardware switch for wireless is Off. This is a desktop system with no hardware switch for wireless. The Intel Manual Diagnostics Tool also just reports that the radio is off.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may want to try the https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth-desktop.html Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth for Desktop instead.

0 Kudos
JLC
Beginner

Status Update: Motherboard BIOS update failed. The board has been replaced with the same make and model. The issue persists.

I don't have a spare space for a PCIe card; my only expansion slot is already occupied. The motherboard has a miniPCIe slot as well as 2 spaces in the IO shield for the antennae. It's clearly intended for a wireless adapter exactly like this one.

0 Kudos